By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What has been the worst year for gaming in the past decade? - 2012!

Probably 1999-2002 for me. I didn't play games or i was abducted by aliens and had my memory wiped.

Around the Network
green_sky said:

Probably 1999-2002 for me. I didn't play games or i was abducted by aliens and had my memory viped.

It was a dark time indead. The Dreamcast died and without Sega the Silver Age of Gaming ended. The industry hasn't been the same since.

kain_kusanagi said:
green_sky said:

Probably 1999-2002 for me. I didn't play games or i was abducted by aliens and had my memory viped.

It was a dark time indead. The Dreamcast died and without Sega the Silver Age of Gaming ended. The industry hasn't been the same since.

I'm not saying your wrong,it's your opinion, but most people don't really care about the dreamcast. :P

enditall727 said:
NightDragon83 said:
2005-06 was worse than any year after IMO. I practically gave up gaming during that period because there was nothing on the GC after RE4 came out, and I wasn't going to drop $400-$600 on a new console with hardly any games worth playing.

Thankfully 2007 changed all that when I got a Wii and a 360.

you only owned a Gamecube in 05 and 06? no PS2?

Had a PS2 but it was my sisters.  But even on that nothing really enticed me in '05 and '06 on the PS2 either.  I picked up Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim around that time I think, and got KHII for my sister (I played a bit but didn't really care for it), and games like God Of War never really interested me.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

I can't decide if 2006 or 2008 was my least favourite year for gaming. Gears of War was really good, but it paled in comparison to 360's 2007 lineup. Twilight Princess was good, but it's definitely my least favourite 3D Zelda game. I'm neither a fan of Grand Theft Auto nor Metal Gear Solid, so you can probably imagine how starved I was for great games in 2008.

Around the Network

Those threads.... pff

Mensrea said:
kain_kusanagi said:
green_sky said:

I'm not saying your wrong,it's your opinion, but most people don't really care about the dreamcast. :P

That's was the problem. The PS2 was cool and Sony lied about it. The Dreamcast had better games, but it got ignored under the shadow cast buy the PS2. By the time the PS2 released and it turned out that it wasn't better than the Dreamcast it was too late. The Camecube and Xbox where the final nails in Dreamcast's coffin.

You should care. The Dreamcast was and still is great. It's games were truely unique and it's end was the end of an era that has left the gaming industry poorer without it. Get yourself a Dreamcast, they are cheap now and you'll understand what has been lost.

Worst year for gaming? I would say 2005, the year Microsoft released the 360. The console gaming industry has been crawling with boring multi-platform games ever since. Xbox Live started to become popular which was nothing more than a place to spend some $$$ on stupid avatars and activating on-disc DLC. Franchises that used to be great went a huge step backwards in quality as they've been focused to release on as many systems as possible. Developer studios turned into greedy f***ers companies that don't think about anything but money. Major developers took high stakes from Microsoft to not letting them release games exclusively on a rival platform which sacrificed a lot of quality because of the adaptation process. Developers turned into lazy f***ers as they started to deviate from the tradition of releasing a game with nearly no bugs. Day one patches started to appear more and more thanks to Microsofts weak guideline rules. Mediocre FPS games (for average joes) have been predominant in the games selection ever since. JRPG's on consoles became a rarity ever since Microsoft showed the world that the West was the most responsible for the profit of games(the reason why JRPG's shifted to handhelds). Therefore great Japanese devs started westernize their games to make them appeal to average joes with no tastes(Halo/CoD players).

Guess what? Sony jumped on the train too.
2005 was only a beginning of a horrible period that ruined console gaming.

Microsoft should have left xbox for what it is and stuck with PC either as an OS or as a gaming platform. Linux, Apple and Android are becoming a threat to gain a lot of market share in both of the Desktop and Mobile OS market and Steam (an adorable company BTW) is starting to become a monopoly in the PC gaming industry (no, Origin sucks and doesn't even has a chance).

After all these years the only things I care about is 3DS, Vita and Steam.

Systems owned: PS1 PS2 PS3 PSP N64 Wii iPhone

I don't know, but I agree with the notion that 2012 was a fairly meh year overall, but it had some decent games like XIII-2, ME3, Halo 4, and more.

2012 was dreadful; there were hardly any great games, and so many disappointments.