By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter at it again; 'Next-Gen Consoles Will Be Better Than The Wii U'

Industry analyst Michael Pachter is predicting trouble for Nintendo's Wii U when Sony and Microsoft release their own next-gen consoles.

Jan 14, 2013

Nintendo’s Wii U is going to face an uphill struggle when Microsoft and Sony release their next-gen consoles according to Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter.

Speaking in an interview in the latest issue of GamesTM, Pachter said: “When next-gen consoles come out they’re going to be better than the Wii U,” explained Pachter.

“Call Of Duty is amazing on the Wii U this year. The problem with playing Call Of Duty online is it’s a community and if there’s only four people playing it on the Wii U it’s no fun.” 

“Nobody in their right mind would buy a Wii U and say ‘I’m going to play Call Of Duty’. That’s like saying ‘I gave up Facebook, and it’s Google+ now’.”

It’s an argument that blows the Wii U’s hardcore gaming credentials out of the water and paints a grim future for Nintendo's new console when the PS4 and Xbox 720 arrive on the scene.

So what do you think about this guys? Personally i will go with the PS4 once it releases, but i wouldn't say the Wii U is a bad console. It just does not have the games that i like. I mean if i had a kid and i wanted him to get into gaming i would certainly want him to meet Mario and Zelda on the Wiii U:)

Around the Network

“Nobody in their right mind would buy a Wii U and say ‘I’m going to play Call Of Duty’. That’s like saying ‘I gave up Facebook, and it’s Google+ now’.”

Uber troll l0l

Well he was right about COD. Their were moments the game did not reach 100 players online and that is kind of sad but since then their are + 60k unique players on the leaderboards...

I wished I could move on and see the unveiling of the next consoles right now and see if they are really a trouble for the WiiU...

As of one of the 10 users of Google+ I am offended by his ridiculous comments.

Is he saying that more powerful automatically equals better? Is he also suggesting that PS4 and Nextbox will magically have the userbase to support a vibrant online community at launch? This man is a fool, LOL! I think he may have just done a copy/paste of his comments about the Wii when it came out.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
This is kind of a "duh " moment. They are being released a year or more after the WiiU. Of course Sony and Microsoft will make them better.

I wonder what kind of consequences such a thing will have? I mean let's assume the PS4 and the nextbox are indeed 'better' and will sell much better than the Wii U. What will Nintendo do if their consoles fails to capture the attention of people after let's say an agressive price cut and new games. What if Nintendo gave up on the Wii U and released and new consoles 3 to 4 years from now. At that moment the consoles from Sony and Microsoft will be only 2 or 3 years old. Will that screw things up for the PS4 and the nextbox?

Pachter's basically right.

It's his job to tell these things to investors though, not to us. So he gets quoted for some pretty Captain Obvious stuff sometimes, but that's not really his fault.

This is great news! Pachter is always wrong, so the Wii U will not struggle when the new consoles come out.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

spurgeonryan said:
What's if... But Nintendos list of games will turn things around whenever they get around to making and releasing them. Maybe not another 2D Mario though.

I think that too, the system will not sell as good as the Wii we know that already but certainly NOT as bad as the GameCube. Still, what do you think will happen if the scenario i described earlier would come to pass?

timmah said:
Is he saying that more powerful automatically equals better? Is he also suggesting that PS4 and Nextbox will magically have the userbase to support a vibrant online community at launch? This man is a fool, LOL! I think he may have just done a copy/paste of his comments about the Wii when it came out.

I agree 100% ... This man is wrong most of times and still he gaine morr and more fame... He is a joke... The only things he said which were true were already to obvious... And to the topic:

Of course sonys and microsofts consoles will be more powerful... Just like the gamecube was more powerful than the ps2 because it was released later ... But better and struggling?! I don't think to... We don't know anything about any launch titles for these two consoles... They could very much suck big time... And then there is nintendo with its wii u and top notch games which will certainly be announced at E3 and probably be released holiday 2013... 

Its sony and microsoft who need to proof anything ... Not Nintendo ... 

Btw: the title suggests that the  wii u isn't next gen .. Which.. Well it is ;)