By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is it really the wiiU who performed poorly? Or are we just starting to see the beginning of the end of dedicated gaming consoles?

VGKing said:
Otakumegane said:
VGKing said:
Otakumegane said:
ryuzaki57 said:
No it's just the WiiU not appealing to anyone beyond Nintendo fans. People will throw themselves on the 399€ PS4 and X720.

The same way people will throw themselves on the Vita? With a 249 euro price point? Yeah, not gonna happen. No matter how good people say it is.

I admit at the current stage only Nintendo Fans have the WiiU, but the price is a very big problem. No one's going to throw 399 Euro on PS4 and X720 until the next Halo, Uncharted, next-gen CoD comes out. (And it seems likely that next years CoD might come to both Ps3 and 360 too.) No one's gonna buy those consoles either no matter how good they are until the needed software starts coming out.

It has always been price+software. WiiU is lacking in both right now.

Vita is a different story. It's not selling well because of the 3DS and smartphones/tablet competition. Why are you even bringing that up?

Because the Vita is in a similar situation with the WiiU now, they both lack a competitive price point and the software.

When X720 and PS4 launch, they aren't going to launch with the next Halo, they aren't going to have Uncharted 4, and for sure not COD only on those two consoles. Now once Ninty reveals everything and its still not selling then i'll be worried.

But I'm not gonna be worried if PS4 and X720 dont sell much at launch because at that point the price just doesn't justify the software. The same arguments that the Vita faced are the same that all the next-gen consoles will face.

They'll have a few exclusives. Anyway the power leap alone will be enough for many people..anyway even if they do struggle at launch, which they probably will to some degree, they have guaranteed long-term 3rd party support. Wii U doesn't have that.

WiiU (or any Nintendo console) won't have long-term 3rd party support, that's pretty much a given (although this gen Japan is up in the air). That just makes their 1st party that much more important and if they release those and it still don't sell well, then we can all start yelling Doom.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network

I think that if the WiiU and it's software continue to sell poorly, the PS4 and 720 + it's games will do worse.

Bienrico said:
I think that if the WiiU and it's software continue to sell poorly, the PS4 and 720 + it's games will do worse.

Is it so hard to imagine that the Wii U will fail to make a significant impact on the home console market? Nintendo's "unique" strategies and hardware have failed Nintendo before......Nintendo has had 2 flops in a row with Gamecube and N64. For all we know Wii was just a one-hit-wonder. Luck of the draw. A fluke.

It might be. with the difference between gens beeing increasingly difficult to spot, its difficult to justify high price tags.

I am still to be convinced the 720 or PS4 will sell more at launch. The problem with these systems is that at the beggining their game libraries are too thin to convince most gamers to take the plunge.

VGKing said:
Bienrico said:

Is it so hard to imagine that the Wii U will fail to make a significant impact on the home console market? Nintendo's "unique" strategies and hardware have failed Nintendo before......Nintendo has had 2 flops in a row with Gamecube and N64. For all we know Wii was just a one-hit-wonder. Luck of the draw. A fluke.

They were certainly less big of a flop then the 360 and ps3, because both gc and n64 made profit which isn't what happened with the 360 and ps3. In terms of hw sold, then I agree but I tend to look more at the profit then the hw sold when comparing the success of 2 consoles because if you really want to compare it like that, I could say that the wiiU launch was more "successful" then the wii launch because it generated more revenues. But that isn't the case because we all know wiiU is being sold at a loss combined with doing poor numbers.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

Around the Network

The Wii U isn't doing bad. It only has one game worth buying and people aren't willing to buy a 350$ console for one game

benji232 said:

Title says it all, discuss :) 

I am interested in reading all of your opinions.

EDIT: I meant can the poor performances of the wiiu be explained by the fact that people aren't so much interested in next gen dedicated gaming consoles.

It's not actually performing poorly unless people had strange launch expectations.

The ps3/360 performed worse than the wii U at launch so no. Also the Wii U isn't exactly being sold as next gen either, there are almost no games which look next-gen so there is very little hype.

It's the global economy.

I LOVE ICELAND!

It did better than the PS3 and Xbox360 launches. Just off from the original Wii launch though. Check out the data  http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/11/how-successful-was-the-wii-u-launch

-------Next to other comparable launches – the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 – the Wii U has done better. This is encouraging, as the Wii U is launching into a more challenging market than the PS3 and 360 were back in 2006 and 2007. Ars Technica uses the US sales figures as a comparison, setting 400,000 first-week Wii U systems against 197,000 PS3s and 326,000 Xboxes sold in the first two weeks. In Japan, in the first 3 weeks, digging back through Media Create data, the PS3 only shifted 156,400. Looking at how the PS3 and 360 tracked over the first month of their launches, the Wii U is almost certainly ahead.