By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why do some believe these characteristics of a Creator?

There was once a comic i read...

ah, found it

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

ah, found it

http://wp.patheos.com/blogs/unreasonablefaith/files/2011/07/20110630.gif

lame cartoon.

So suffering is the reason to call theology stupid...

This is the problem, people who put too much emphasis on suffering being pure evil. If it brings one closer to truth, it is not evil. An example is the banishing from the garden of Eden. True God cursed the humans, but that was for their good, ultimately. It was their punishment so they could repent and find forgiveness. It is a polariser as the evil hearts harden against him, and the good hearts cling back to him.

At the same time God made us, so is it our fault? Well, ultimately, if our heart is not for him, and given the will to choose, then yeah punishment is our destiny. We would be the dark result of a creation based on the freedom to choose.

Another problem with that charicature is that much suffering is made not for punishment but for evil, and that's the suffering made by the Ennemy. So, to lay that suffering on the hands of the almighty is silly, because Evil is a requirement in a world based on free will. It doesn't make God evil, it makes him real. He wants something real, it's his pre-rogative. Yes, some innocent will get scathed in the process, but if their heart is pure they will see it as a battlescar towards a higher calling. If their heart is evil, they will see it as a crime against them.

So ultimately, it's all part of a plan for God to sort the hearts of his creation and enjoy eternity with those that were always bound to him in the first place.

happydolphin said:
Mr Khan said:

ah, found it

lame cartoon.

This is the problem, people who put too much emphasis on suffering being pure evil. If it brings one closer to truth, it is not evil. An example is the banishing from the garden of Eden. True God cursed the humans, but that was for their good, ultimately. It was their punishment so they could repent and find forgiveness. It is a polariser as the evil hearts harden against him, and the good hearts cling back to him.

At the same time God made us, so is it our fault? Well, ultimately, if our heart is not for him, and given the will to choose, then yeah punishment is our destiny. We would be the dark result of a creation based on the freedom to choose.

Another problem with that charicature is that much suffering is made not for punishment but for evil, and that's the suffering made by the Ennemy. So, to lay that suffering on the hands of the almighty is silly, because Evil is a requirement in a world based on free will. It doesn't make God evil, it makes him real. He wants something real, it's his pre-rogative. Yes, some innocent will get scathed in the process, but if their heart is pure they will see it as a battlescar towards a higher calling. If their heart is evil, they will see it as a crime against them.

So ultimately, it's all part of a plan for God to sort the hearts of his creation and enjoy eternity with those that were always bound to him in the first place.

Omnibenevolence is the leg that gets shortened most often, that god intends for evil and suffering as part of some grand plan, although this falls short of our understanding of benevolence.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

Omnibenevolence is the leg that gets shortened most often, that god intends for evil and suffering as part of some grand plan, although this falls short of our understanding of benevolence.

What is our understanding of benevolence? A consience that is always sweet and that considers pain evil?

For an atheist cartoon it seems rather odd to consider pain/suffering as evil. Since atheism is based on naturalism, where is the foundation for that standard? As far as I was told, death is a part of the mechanisms for our existence (evolution and survival of the fittest).

happydolphin said:
Mr Khan said:

ah, found it

lame cartoon.

So is God omniscient, or do humans have free will? Can't have both.

Around the Network
dsgrue3 said:

It's both. He knows everything that will happen, and also gave us the will to choose. To me it's possible to have both since here we are. Free to choose our own destinies, and he knows it all from the very beginning. He made us, without using his omniscience, he just made us.

It is my belief that God can temporarily shut off any of his powers at will. On creation, it was his omniscience. To me that's part of him being all-powerful.

happydolphin said:
dsgrue3 said:

It's both. He knows everything that will happen, and also gave us the will to choose. To me it's possible to have both since here we are. Free to choose our own destinies, and he knows it all from the very beginning. He made us, without using his omniscience, he just made us.

It is my belief that God can temporarily shut off any of his powers at will. On creation, it was his omniscience. To me that's part of him being all-powerful.

You cannot have both. Those are direct contradictions. Choose one.

Example:

There are 3 Doors, "A", "B", "C" - you see choice. God knows the outcome already, thus nullifying choice. You can't choose anything else as it's already been determined which choice you will make. You cannot deviate from this path because it is already known.

Mr Khan said:
happydolphin said:
Mr Khan said:

ah, found it

lame cartoon.

God does not 'intend' for or 'cause' evil and suffering, humanity has made the choices leading that. Adversity can be used by God in the process of turning one into a better/stronger person without being caused by God. You must understand the doctrinal difference between causing suffering for good, and using suffering for good. I don't intend for my children to suffer pain due to their poor decisions, but locking them up in thier room forever and insulating them from reality just to keep them from pain is not an option if I truly love them. If my child makes a poor choice that causes them or others pain, I did not cause that, but I can use it as an opportunity to instruct them in a better way to live.

dsgrue3 said:

Example:

There are 3 Doors, "A", "B", "C" - you see choice. God knows the outcome already, thus nullifying choice. You can't choose anything else as it's already been determined which choice you will make. You cannot deviate from this path because it is already known.

The fact that it's already determined doesn't change the fact that it's a choice.

Steps

0) God turns off omniscience.

1) God makes me.

2) God turns on omniscience.

Me can chooose, God can know. Problem solved.

happydolphin said:
dsgrue3 said:

Example:

The fact that it's already determined doesn't change the fact that it's a choice.

Steps

0) God turns off omniscience.

1) God makes me.

2) God turns on omniscience.

Me can chooose, God can know. Problem solved.

You can't turn off knowledge, what is known is known.

You don't simply wake and say "hey guys I'm just gonna forget how to do basic arithmetic."

What a retarded argument.