By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC techies i summon you!!!

pezus said:
Player1x3 said:
pezus said:
Player1x3 said:
pezus said:

Huh, a better question would be: Name me 1 disadvantage of PCs over laptops (portability excluded).

Price

Come again? 
Where in the world does a gaming PC cost more than a gaming laptop?

My local Media Markt when I was in Germany

I'm sure that wasn't the case though. Spin it like you want. Were you looking at the most powerful PCs vs. the most powerful laptops?

I wasnt really paying much attention to specs, but vast majority of laptops were cheaper than vast majority of PCs

Around the Network
pezus said:
Player1x3 said:
pezus said:
Player1x3 said:

Ha, nice spin argument 

Let's see then:

1. More power Not neccesarly 
2. Costs less money Same as above
3. Is upgradableFair enough
4. Better coolingYou can buy cooling accesories for a lap top and it could work almost 24/7
5. Supports bigger and cheaper hard drives (and much more of them) You can use extrenal HDD for laptops.
6. More connectivity optionsMobility>Connectivity

=> Much better for gaming Subjective

Are you even a PC gamer? Nothing there is subjective...

Of course I am lol. I play World of Tanks all the time

Player1x3 said:
ultima said:
Player1x3 said:
pezus said:
Player1x3 said:

Ha, nice spin argument 

Let's see then:

1. More power Not neccesarly 
2. Costs less money Same as above
3. Is upgradableFair enough
4. Better coolingYou can buy cooling accesories for a lap top and it could work almost 24/7
5. Supports bigger and cheaper hard drives (and much more of them) You can use extrenal HDD for laptops.
6. More connectivity optionsMobility>Connectivity

=> Much better for gaming Subjective

1. Yes, necessarily. A good gaming desktop can have a kilowatt PSU. Don't even dream about that on a laptop.

2. Costs less money. Period.

3. You accepted that.

4. It doesn't matter what you buy. You can't get internal cooling; that is, you can't cool components separately, which is what cooling is all about. Also, there's water (or even liquid N if you're crazy) cooling. Even with the inferior (performance wise) components that laptops have, they run hotter, because everything is crammed into a small space.

5. Internal 3.5" SATA is cheaper than an external drive. Plus, where's the mobility if you have to carry around a 1 meter cable and an extra hard drive?

6. I honestly don't know why mobility > connectivity. But to be fair, I also don't quite understand the original point.

=> Much better performance. Objective.

1. Funny how you use the words ''could'' and  ''necessairly in the same point. Epic contradiction right there lol xD. If something COULD happen , its not necessairy

2. Wow, great argument, I am convinced

4. You dont need all that stuff on lap top. Laptops consume less power and thus dont overheat as much as PCs. But my point was that a cooling device on a laptop works just fine. What PC has is irrelevant actually.

5. Laptops do have a built in HDD's too, you know? You can use external only at home if you want, or you can bring them with you on a trip. 1 meter cable or not, laptops will always be billion times more moble than any PC.

6.Well then sorry, I cant help you :/

Another great argument there

1. It could have a kilowatt PSU. That's way higher. But any gaming desktop (probably any desktop period) necessarily has a higher capacity PSU than even the most powerful gaming laptop. Therefore, more power. No contradiction.

2. Something like that does not require an argument. I'm not doing the research for you. Dig around the internet.

4. No, it's not irrelevant. If you get better cooling, you can push your hardware more without messing anything up. Thus, better cooling means better performance.

5. The original point was that desktops support cheaper and bigger hard drives. You thought that using external drives was the answer. I simply showed you why that's not the answer. The original point stands. You can put in cheaper HDD's into a desktop (and a higher number of them).

6. You could tell me why you think mobility > connectivity.

Or are you trolling?

pezus said:
DieAppleDie said:
enrageorange said:

A hardcore gaming laptop isn't worth it imo. When you are home, might as well play on a desktop, and when you are on the go, your laptop will be severly limited unless its plugged in to an outlet.

As others have said. Look up some tutorials on building a PC, it really isn't hard at all. Originally mine cost me $350 and it could run most games fine on high settings on my 1600x900 monitor. But even if you are looking for the best, after I upgraded graphics cards to a 7850 my total cost is $500 and I can run any game, even battlefield 3, maxed on on my new 1080p monitor. Then get a decent laptop for $500-$600. It will be able to handle casual gaming, the type you might do on the go. Heck my $500 hp laptop from a year ago can even run skyrim on medium on battery power if I really wanted to play that on the go. 

You will still be saving money when compared to a top of the line gaming PC, and your desktop will smoke anything that costs under $2000. Also wait for deals, especially on laptops and graphics cards. I waited for a promotion and got a free $100 gift card with my laptop. And my graphics card I got for around $50 under msrp along with a rebate. Nowadays they are giving away lots of big games with top of the line graphics card. Especially AMD ones. Just be patient and you can save a lot of money.

thanks for such a long/detailed response But i want it to be portable, mostly because of the following reasons .I dont want it to be fixed at home .I want to be able to go with it to a friends house and play LAN mp .I want to play at work .I want to play modern games (DOLPHIN included) at work

Honestly, if you're considering Dolphin you shouldn't be looking at laptops. But I guess it's your money. I move my PC to my friend often for some LAN play. It's a bit more troublesome but it pays off because you can run everything better, faster, with moar graphx

Whats wrong with laptops and DOLPHIN?

Player1x3 said:
pezus said:
Player1x3 said:
pezus said:
Player1x3 said:
pezus said:

Huh, a better question would be: Name me 1 disadvantage of PCs over laptops (portability excluded).

Price

Come again? 
Where in the world does a gaming PC cost more than a gaming laptop?

My local Media Markt when I was in Germany

I'm sure that wasn't the case though. Spin it like you want. Were you looking at the most powerful PCs vs. the most powerful laptops?

I wasnt really paying much attention to specs, but vast majority of laptops were cheaper than vast majority of PCs

LOL. And you were saying my arguments were bad. Perhaps the vast majority of desktops were far far more powerful than the vast majority of laptops? Besides, a gaming laptop is not something you can find on store shelves usually. 

Around the Network

Sager with dual 680M SLI and 17.3" 120Hz 3D-Ready Full HD Display
http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_customed&model_name=NP9370-3D

Alienware M18x with dual HD7970Ms
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dkdwly4&model_id=alienware-m18x-r2&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

Clevo 17.3 inch with dual 680Ms
http://www.clevo.com.tw/en/products/prodinfo_2.asp?productid=452

If laptops is a must I suggest not getting one from a "gaming brand" company. The alienware logo isn't worth the extra hundred bucks. Look up deals on Asus, Dell xps series, Lenevo, and Hp. Also I would buy an extended warranty. Heavy gaming will reduce the lifespan of your laptop's hardware due to overheating. 

Wait to find something with a current gen intel I7 processor and an nvidia 560m/660m+graphics card for under $1000. Make sure to check out a bunch of reviews on potential issues the laptop might have.

Other features like SSD or standard harddrive, ram, screen resolution, and touch screen displays, etc. are up to you. I would try to get a 7200rpm harddrive but it isn't that huge of a deal if its slower. Also shoot for 8gigs of ram but with most laptops you can easily add more ram so it isn't a big issue if it has less.

Personally I wouldn't get a 1080p screen if gaming is your main goal simply because newer games would look better at 720p since your laptop won't be able to max everything at the higher resolution. You could just lower the resolution of the game but then why waste the extra money the 1080p screen will cost you. If you are going to watch a lot of movies as well though, the 1080p screen will be worth it.

Dieapple said:

Whats wrong with laptops and DOLPHIN?

Dolphin relies mostly on the CPU, and CPUs are underclocked (operate at a lower frequency -GHz-) on notebooks to prevent overheating.

thanks to all for your useful advice!

Yeah SAGER is awesome if you have even more disposable income. Me and my wife both have Republic of Gamers Laptops (ROG) I forget the specs but hers was $1.5k and her old one was $1.3k could pretty much run everything on max settings almost (GW2 main user for her I think). Those we can buy locally in the US at Best Buy. Never had any issues with them.

It's just that simple.