By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If Metroid: Other M sales over take any of the three before it will you accept that it was a good game?

It might be a good game. If you like playing through a set story with clear objectives it is great.

It is a bad Metroid game. They shouldn't have used Samus for it, and people who liked Prime for its exploration, music, or lack of narrative will not find these qualities in Other M.

The concern with Other M is that, because it did sell a million, all future Metroid games will be made like it instead of like Prime or Super. Much like how 3D Mario replaced 2D Mario during N64 and Gamecube, fans of the earlier titles see games released of their series in name only.

The solution is to acknowledge they are different series and try to make both. Sakamoto instead called it the successor to Super Metroid and hasn't said anything like that.

Around the Network

Team ninja is not Nintendo or Retro...

It isn't good at all that it has to be $5-$10 for it to sell "decent Metroid sales", and who knows what it's actual sales are.

It had nothing hindering its sales like Skyward Sword did (SS required a Wii Motion + and was released when the Wii was already pretty much dead, while Other M rode the wave of Mario and Donkey Kong in 2010), so it doesn't have an excuse for the bad sales it had until it found itself in the bargin bin.

It's not a "bad" game. It's just your average, everyday action game with the Metroid logo stamped on it's forehead, and a bad story to boot. For Samus fans, it also portrayed her character pretty badly too I guess.

I suggest you to play it first then you come back and talk about people being difficult. Maybe after you play it you'll find out that it sucks and it doesn't really deserve great sales.

Played it a long time ago. Was not impressed.

Around the Network

Other M had some major issues that are hard to overlook, but just to keep it short, I did not like the game because it felt like a downgrade of Fusion. Even if you were to make the game stand on its own it is still a bland game. I would not be too surprised if it outsells any of the Prime games, considering you can get it for under $10. However, I do not think that Other M was a success because Nintendo had to cut the price several times.

The Zelda fanbase is rather divided, so I agree with Skyward sword being a love it or hate it kind of game.

AgentZorn said:
Other M had some major issues that are hard to overlook, but just to keep it short, I did not like the game because it felt like a downgrade of Fusion. Even if you were to make the game stand on its own it is still a bland game. I would not be too surprised if it outsells any of the Prime games, considering you can get it for under $10. However, I do not think that Other M was a success because Nintendo had to cut the price several times.

The Zelda fanbase is rather divided, so I agree with Skyward sword being a love it or hate it kind of game.

I don't care what anyone thinks. Skyward Sward is the best zelda game i've ever played even better than OoT.

The gameplay in the game is solid. The story is terrible and undermines so many qualities that were "Samus" that it is difficult to accept as being in the same world.

But....sales don't equate to quality. There have been many works of art in history that were barely known in their creator's lifetime that have went on to be iconic representations of movements or cultural timeframes. There have been many a great film in modern times that have sold abysmally in the theater, yet considered tremendous critical successes. Likewise, most of what sells is usually trite bantha fodder that the masses devour.

Dont trust any game with Team Ninja in it these days. Should've stuck with the old metroid formula.

spurgeonryan said:
Roar_Of_War said:

It isn't good at all that it has to be $5-$10 for it to sell "decent Metroid sales", and who knows what it's actual sales are.

It had nothing hindering its sales like Skyward Sword did (SS required a Wii Motion + and was released when the Wii was already pretty much dead, while Other M rode the wave of Mario and Donkey Kong in 2010), so it doesn't have an excuse for the bad sales it had until it found itself in the bargin bin.

It's not a "bad" game. It's just your average, everyday action game with the Metroid logo stamped on it's forehead, and a bad story to boot. For Samus fans, it also portrayed her character pretty badly too I guess.

I just got lucky. It is still 29.99-49.99 at most stores I have seen it at.

@ not played it guy

Word of mouth makes me think people are being difficult. Do I need to play something to think that? Same with a movie or book.

Who, me? If so, I beat it twice for hard mode. It was a slightly better game when you were allowed to skip a lot of the cutscenes, but it wasn't much of a "hard mode" unfortunately.

and it's $9.99 at my Gamestop/Cosco and $19.99 at Target.