By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo can never win with some people..

AgentZorn said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The consensus is that the Wii U is on par with current gen consoles. The major reason why the next gen consoles will probably cost around $450-500 is because of the fact that devs have demanded power from Microsoft and Sony in particular. I am talking Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Crytek, Epic Square Enix and more whom have already shown their next gen engines. I am not even sure the Wii U will make the best out of those engines. Really and truly I don't think they even care. They've always dealt with Nintendo in a secondary fashion. Like Zombie U? Great...wait to see what Ubisoft has planned for the other next gen consoles.

A $500 console is not going to fare well right now. Some people do care aout the graphical capabilities of a console but they care more about their wallets. The main reason why the Wii U is not selling is because of its price and cheaper alternatives. I'm also a bit worried about development costs if we do see a gigantic graphical leap. I know some will argue that it's mostly marketing that is taking up most of the costs, but I do know that publishers sure as hell will not change that. 

The PS3 and 360 are on their last legs and they will have more valuable games walking out of this gen, so yes the core will still value them from a quarterly perspective and the late adopter will as well. Whether its about graphics or not is really and truly up to the eyes of the beholder and realizing its lasting value. Sony and Microsoft know that their next consoles will have an uphill battle when it comes to price because they are following the third parties desires to have more powerful tech to change the way we play and the vastness of the worlds we'll exist in.

Microsoft as far internal game development value needs to bow out desperately and Sony does as well to make sure their marketshare grows (because of course Microsoft wants Sonys marketshare). Their consoles will realistically be around $400 to $500 and yes, there still is a market to buy these products. Remember the consoles serve more than just a gaming purpose but also a multimedia purpose. Lets see what they innovate on this next gen front to not only get the core but the masses to believe.

Around the Network
Mensrea said:
The problem is that Nintendo has been catering to the casual crowd for a while, and left some of it's most loyal fans out in the dust. They shouldn't care about the hardcore, because those people wouldn't buy their console anyway. They should care about the core gamer, and much more importantly their fans. Their are open minded gamers who would buy a Nintendo console if it catered to them, I think a modern equivalent to the Gamecube would sell much better than the Gamecube did, but even if they want to focus on a less powerful system, they absolutely have to appeal to their fans. I own every single Nintendo console, and I pretty much loved them all, except for the Wii. I felt completely alone. They pretty much told me with the Wii that I wasn't important to them. It was their loss, I bought a PS3 and bought three times as many games for it than I did for the Wii.

In short, Nintendo can cater to more open minded core gamers, but it needs to cater to it's fans first. Saying Nintendo will never please anyone is silly, they can please a lot of gamers. It's just that they have been VERY weak as of late.

im a very loyal Nintendo fan, and i couldnt be happier with their Wii core games What does make you feel that way?

DieAppleDie said:
Mensrea said:
The problem is that Nintendo has been catering to the casual crowd for a while, and left some of it's most loyal fans out in the dust. They shouldn't care about the hardcore, because those people wouldn't buy their console anyway. They should care about the core gamer, and much more importantly their fans. Their are open minded gamers who would buy a Nintendo console if it catered to them, I think a modern equivalent to the Gamecube would sell much better than the Gamecube did, but even if they want to focus on a less powerful system, they absolutely have to appeal to their fans. I own every single Nintendo console, and I pretty much loved them all, except for the Wii. I felt completely alone. They pretty much told me with the Wii that I wasn't important to them. It was their loss, I bought a PS3 and bought three times as many games for it than I did for the Wii.

In short, Nintendo can cater to more open minded core gamers, but it needs to cater to it's fans first. Saying Nintendo will never please anyone is silly, they can please a lot of gamers. It's just that they have been VERY weak as of late.

im a very loyal Nintendo fan, and i couldnt be happier with their Wii core games What does make you feel that way?

Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were not good Zelda games, and they were dumbed down pretty hard. Metroid Prime 3 was alright, but lacked exploration/ it was more of a shooter than an adveture. Metroid Other M is absolutely atrocius. No Star Fox or F-Zero. No Pikmin. Super Paper Mario was extremely disappointing coming of Thousand Year Door. Brawl was worse than Melee. NSMBWii was uninspired. 

The Galaxy games and DKCR were excellent, but really, besides those, I didn't LOVE anything on the Wii. 

Mensrea said:
DieAppleDie said:
Mensrea said:

Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were not good Zelda games, and they were dumbed down pretty hard. Metroid Prime 3 was alright, but lacked exploration/ it was more of a shooter than an adveture. Metroid Other M is absolutely atrocius. No Star Fox or F-Zero. No Pikmin. Super Paper Mario was extremely disappointing coming of Thousand Year Door. Brawl was worse than Melee. NSMBWii was uninspired. 

The Galaxy games and DKCR were excellent, but really, besides those, I didn't LOVE anything on the Wii. 

except for ZeldaSS which i think its great and original, i agree to an extent, gameplay wise Brawl and Corruption dont match the awesomness of their GC counterparts but what about Mario kart, Excitetruck, Xenoblade, Disaster, Kirbys Dreamland and EpicYarn, Batallion wars2... imho Nintendo delivered, its just that GC was too awesome!!!

DieAppleDie said:
Mensrea said:
DieAppleDie said:
Mensrea said:

except for ZeldaSS which i think its great and original, i agree to an extent, gameplay wise Brawl and Corruption dont match the awesomness of their GC counterparts but what about Mario kart, Excitetruck, Xenoblade, Disaster, Kirbys Dreamland and EpicYarn, Batallion wars2... imho Nintendo delivered, its just that GC was too awesome!!!

MKWii was alright, excitetruck was more on the Meh side of things. 

I will give you Xenoblade though.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The problem is partially Nintendos fault and it can have many factors:

- Kiddy image: Microsofts statement that gamers grow up with Nintendo but will graduate to other consoles.
- Not being worried about western means of what makes a game next gen like powerful processors. Being behind hinders third parties in the west from wanting to make games for them on par with the competition.
- The advent of Xbox Live and the Playstation network for the competitive gamer.
- The third party drought that has been going onfor twenty years since the Playstation first arrived. Half the reason the N64 & Gamecube didnt sell that well.
- Nintendo has given up on going head to head with the competition, so they go around them. Even this gen, thats what they are doing.
- Nintendo wont drop the family image they hold onto. Nintendo is a traditionally family company and those who buy their product need to be realistic and realize that. They let the third parties and former second parties do the dirty games for them.
- They refuse to share the playing field with their gamers whom have grown up. No relatable first party for older players. If they want to get that, they have to go to third party. Where as with Sony you get both kiddy, teen and mature characters all in one breath. They refuse to grow up with the older gamers who grew with them. 

Nintendo holds a place in all of our hearts, but the problem with Nintendo is an internal one. They chose not to pander to the casuals and for that they will sell half of what the Wii Sold. They need to learn how to satisfy both markets from the start.

This is all very legit reasons and something Nintendo should look in to! Just look at Disney; THE most family oriented company of, like, all time! And still they're catering to all kinds of tastes. Nintendo should really try and learn from Disney.

I have no problem with Nintendo being protective of its and its desire to appeal to the family and amateur gamers. I just wish Nintendo would realize it can develop/publish "mature" games without taking any sort of hit to its family image whatsoever.It published Eternal Darkness, Geist and Perfect Dark without taking a single hit. Remember it also helped fund and marketConkers Bad Fur Day; that game practically leans on the M/AO rating!

I'm not crying for Nintendo to suddenly make Mario cap people in the head in first person or Link pick up Hylian hookers and use swear words, but I just wish it would pull more Bayo 2's where it swoops in and picks up a game we all want without worrying about blood and cleavage levels.

Soundwave said:
melbye said:
Soundwave said:
BluGamer23 said:
Soundwave said:

They can't pander to casuals even if they wanted to anymore. I think they've lost touch with that crowd.

That crowd has gone to Apple, and casuals are fickle, they stay with one trend for a while and then move on.

They're the girl at the nightclub who's hot, but she's only up for a one night stand, then she's tired of you and moves on to the next exciting thing. Plus the guy she really wants isn't you but the big-wig doctor (Apple).

Nintendo is the one who's stuck at the nightclub the following Friday waiting for her to show up, but she's a no show.

So now they have to cater to us, the core players (the girl that'll always be there for them, lol).

Ever since Wii Music, they really have not be able to duplicate the initial success there of Brain Training/Nintendogs/Wii Sports/Wii Fit. They talked about that vitality sensor thing but it went no where.

Wii Fit in 2007/08 is really the last monstrous new casual hit they created, and that's more than 4 years ago now. Maybe it's coincidence but since the summer 2007 iPhone launch they have not created a big new hit casual gamer IP outside of Tomadachi Collection, which is really a Japan-only type thing. 

Dafuq? .. LOL  

so your are saying the hardcores are the boring ones that you pick up and becomes obsessed with you and already starts planning your marriage after the first date? uhm..........

I hate those types girls!.. no wonder hardcores are whiny obsessive little bitches!.. they cry when they dont get enough attention and its all about ME ME ME! .. LOL

(I think this anology is not working out well for you man.. LOL.. like i said you guys are fun!) =)

Hardcore gamers are loyal, they stick around, so yeah, they're the girl that will be there for you and wants a long term relationship. She's cute though. 

Casual gamers ... they're the party girl. She likes to have fun, she's hot, superficial, and gets hit on by a 100 guys every night at the bar. No way she'd ever settle down with you. 

Nintendo is the guy looking for a relationship though. They were banking on the party girl settling down and falling in love with them, and now are left abandoned by her, and the loyal girl is mad at him too, lol. 

It was great while it lasted for Nintendo (those profits in 2007-2009), but now I think they're coming back to reality. 

But after being rejected by the girl who wanted a relationship twice because he wasn't rich enough no wonder he goes after the party girl that actually gave him some attention even though it didn't last

To be fair though Nintendo honestly is the one that alienated core players with their own stupidity. Choosing cartridges over CDs basically was a big F-you to the entire third party community and consumers too ($70-$80 games?). And the GameCube was kinda half hearted in a lot of ways (Super Mario Sunshine? Where's Mario 64-2? Losing Rare entirely and replacing them with ... nothing?) too. 

Core players never abandoned Nintendo willingly IMO, they were forced to Sony in a lot of ways because of what Nintendo did by basically cutting Capcom, Konami, Squaresoft, Enix, and many others from the N64. 

-Really don't see where you got the GameCube being half-hearted  because of Super Mario Sunshine. Sure, it was based on a gimmick that came out of nowhere and felt awkard at times, but it's not like the game itself was neither fun nor original nor polished. Mario 64-2 sounds like it would be a lot more half-hearted.

-Look at what Rare has done post-Ninty vs. pre-Ninty. It sure seemed dumb at the time it sold Rare, but I think we'd all agree Nintendo knew what it was doing in the long run. And I think most of us would agree Retro is a worthy replacement to Rare. It just doesn't seem to have nearly as much freedom to do its own thing. Nintendo originally tried to replace Rare with Silicon Knights, but that didn't work out (I'd again say Nintendo came out on top in that decision too).

Metallicube said:

Look at the foolish Bayonetta 2 fans, many of them are probably the same people that knocked Nintendo for not releasing games for them, and catering to the "casuals." So Nintendo publishes a game that caters directly to them, and what do they do? Whine and curse out Nintendo for some stupid reason, (despite the fact that the game would not exist without Nintendo). I will never understand the hardcore..

bolded the keyword.  they publish a game, as in one, uno, less than two. 

hardcore gamers buy a lot of games, like 15 or more a year.  not one a generation, not even just one a year.  so nintendo,.. not really catering to the core.  not when they miss out on GTA, bioshock, crysis 3, dark souls 2, dead space 3, watch dogs, metal gear, south park, and all those other games with a red X just this year...  oh, and let's not forget nintendo leaving out damn obvious OS features like cross game chat and a unified trophy system.

you're being foolish nintendo fan if you think nintedo has put any substance into courting the core.  so yeah, i agree with you... nintendo should go back to courting the casual exclusively.  i think it will still put them on the road to obsurity as that audience is even harder to please and just as likey to dimiss nintendo ...but at least nintendo has a chance.  but you are absolutly right about nintendo lacking the talent to make games or a system the core wants.

but don't try pull any this whiny "oh its everyone else's fault" BS.    the core are very demanding customers and nintendo's "let's the to bare minimum to get by" approach will not work.

burninmylight said:
Soundwave said:
melbye said:
Soundwave said:
BluGamer23 said:
Soundwave said:

They can't pander to casuals even if they wanted to anymore. I think they've lost touch with that crowd.

That crowd has gone to Apple, and casuals are fickle, they stay with one trend for a while and then move on.

They're the girl at the nightclub who's hot, but she's only up for a one night stand, then she's tired of you and moves on to the next exciting thing. Plus the guy she really wants isn't you but the big-wig doctor (Apple).

Nintendo is the one who's stuck at the nightclub the following Friday waiting for her to show up, but she's a no show.

So now they have to cater to us, the core players (the girl that'll always be there for them, lol).

Ever since Wii Music, they really have not be able to duplicate the initial success there of Brain Training/Nintendogs/Wii Sports/Wii Fit. They talked about that vitality sensor thing but it went no where.

Wii Fit in 2007/08 is really the last monstrous new casual hit they created, and that's more than 4 years ago now. Maybe it's coincidence but since the summer 2007 iPhone launch they have not created a big new hit casual gamer IP outside of Tomadachi Collection, which is really a Japan-only type thing. 

Dafuq? .. LOL  

so your are saying the hardcores are the boring ones that you pick up and becomes obsessed with you and already starts planning your marriage after the first date? uhm..........

I hate those types girls!.. no wonder hardcores are whiny obsessive little bitches!.. they cry when they dont get enough attention and its all about ME ME ME! .. LOL

(I think this anology is not working out well for you man.. LOL.. like i said you guys are fun!) =)

Hardcore gamers are loyal, they stick around, so yeah, they're the girl that will be there for you and wants a long term relationship. She's cute though. 

Casual gamers ... they're the party girl. She likes to have fun, she's hot, superficial, and gets hit on by a 100 guys every night at the bar. No way she'd ever settle down with you. 

Nintendo is the guy looking for a relationship though. They were banking on the party girl settling down and falling in love with them, and now are left abandoned by her, and the loyal girl is mad at him too, lol. 

It was great while it lasted for Nintendo (those profits in 2007-2009), but now I think they're coming back to reality. 

But after being rejected by the girl who wanted a relationship twice because he wasn't rich enough no wonder he goes after the party girl that actually gave him some attention even though it didn't last

To be fair though Nintendo honestly is the one that alienated core players with their own stupidity. Choosing cartridges over CDs basically was a big F-you to the entire third party community and consumers too ($70-$80 games?). And the GameCube was kinda half hearted in a lot of ways (Super Mario Sunshine? Where's Mario 64-2? Losing Rare entirely and replacing them with ... nothing?) too. 

Core players never abandoned Nintendo willingly IMO, they were forced to Sony in a lot of ways because of what Nintendo did by basically cutting Capcom, Konami, Squaresoft, Enix, and many others from the N64. 

-Really don't see where you got the GameCube being half-hearted  because of Super Mario Sunshine. Sure, it was based on a gimmick that came out of nowhere and felt awkard at times, but it's not like the game itself was neither fun nor original nor polished. Mario 64-2 sounds like it would be a lot more half-hearted.

-Look at what Rare has done post-Ninty vs. pre-Ninty. It sure seemed dumb at the time it sold Rare, but I think we'd all agree Nintendo knew what it was doing in the long run. And I think most of us would agree Retro is a worthy replacement to Rare. It just doesn't seem to have nearly as much freedom to do its own thing. Nintendo originally tried to replace Rare with Silicon Knights, but that didn't work out (I'd again say Nintendo came out on top in that decision too).

People didnt abandon Nintendo New users didnt embrace Nintendo thnx to Sonys moneyhatting

Nintendo designs their console for their own franchise in mind.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5