By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Radio is still important today?

d21lewis said:
Cuba Gooding Jr. was surprisingly capable as a mentally handicapped person. I think it was based on a true story, too.

Good one.  Men of Honor is based on a true story also.

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
I listen to the radio all the time. It's how I follow sports and other news.

I never watch TV. I don't even pay for it.

yeah npr is awesome

bdbdbd said:

fordy said:

I'm talking about the initial aim of the internet, what it's design is based on. Is it like that at the moment? Sort of, but not to a reliable level, hence the "eventually". Also, I'm talking about the transport method (possible transmission via WiMax or similar technology on an IP transport protocol). 4G is already the first step towards integrating the mobile phone network more seamlessly with computer networks via packet based transmission. Broadcasting methods such as television and radio will ultimately follow.

Besides: Just because a radio station is on backup power doesn't mean a WiMax tower cannot be.

Actually the packet data is used on 2G networks aswell. What newer generations improve upon, is speed and lag. Where 3G networks have speed up to around 40Mbps and lag below 200ms, and 4G networks currently operate at speeds max twice of 3G and max 50ms lag.

Mobile network tower being on backup power usually means someone would need to start the generator (same problem with FM amplifiers, but they have much better coverage).

Using a mobile phone network would be good idea (as smartphones have IP-based radio built in, though the cheaper ones have FM), but in the case of a disaster, the traffic would kill the network, and in some cases it might be even made available only to emergency calls and military use.

I'm talking about true IP packet data. Voice still uses it's own digital transmission standard up to 4G. 4G is heading towards the direction of VoIP and QoS.

it is still important as you keep on getting news in the car about car accidents for example

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

aikohualda said:
Euphoria14 said:

yeah npr is awesome

Most of the time I have my radio set to WFAN 660 AM. I like when angry callers whine and bitch to Mike Francesca.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

I listen to the radio every day. News station while driving to/from work, indie music station late at night.

I love one special radio station in New Jersey, WFMU 91.1. It's a commercial free, DJ programed station with some awesome shows, music, and comedy.

But the internet has shown that it is the future of radio, wfmu.org streams online & has massive archives of shows going back over 12 years that are free to stream online, plus podcasts for the more popular shows.

My favorite show is on tonight 9-12PM EST, it's called The Best Show with Tom Scharpling & it's amazing. You can listen live at wfmu.org.

My show recommendations are
Shut Up Weirdo (talk)
The Best Show (talk & music)
Night People (Talk)
The Dusty Show with Clay Pigeon (Talk)

aikohualda said:
Euphoria14 said:

yeah npr is awesome

Yeah, I like NPR too, although they've been accused of being leftist

I commute at least 40 minutes a day. Talk radio has been my second highest source of information after the internet since about 2005.

Lately, and maybe it's because I'm getting older, I'm growing intolerant towards radio advertisements to the point where I just turn off my radio. I swear it's like 20 minutes advertising, twenty minutes of the host of the show advertising and 20 minutes of actual entertainment and news.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

outlawauron said:
d21lewis said:
Nobody gets me. "Radio" is a movie starring Cuba Gooding Jr. He went full retard and critics hated it!

I loved that movie.

Okay, now I understand d2lewis comment, it was a movie about radio he was referring too, okay, got it!