By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Investors Thread

This thread is intended for discussing Nintendo as a business operation, company, and investment.  Any & all aspects thereof welcomed.  It's meant to educate and enrich anyone interested in investing in Nintendo.

BASICS:

• Nintendo trades under symbol 7974 on the Osaka & Tokyo exchanges, as NTDOY on the Pink sheets in the U.S., and NTO on the Frankfurt exchange in Germany.
  • Founded in 1889, and went Public in Jan. 1962, on the Osaka & Kyoto exchanges.
  • Headquartered in Kyoto, Japan
  • Current Officers and directors

Satoru Iwata   President, Representative Director
Tatsumi Kimishima   Chairman (Chief Executive Officer) of Subsidiary, Director
Shinji Hatano   Senior Managing Director, Chief Director of Sales, Representative Director
Shigeru Miyamoto   Senior Managing Director, Chief Director of Information Development, Representative Director

Yoshihiro Mori   Senior Managing Director, Chief Senior Director of Operation, Representative Director
Genyo Takeda   Senior Managing Director, Chief Director of General Development, Representative Director
Masaharu Matsumoto   Managing Director, Chief Director of Administration, Chief Director of General Affairs
Eiichi Suzuki   Managing Director, Chief Director of Overseas
Kaoru Takemura   Chief Director of Human Resources, Director

Reggie Fils-Aime

Nintendo of America - President and COO

As I post this thread Nintendo shares hit yet another 52-Week low today in the U.S., as investors punish the stock, sending it back to pre- Wii, 3DS, or Wii U levels.

Around the Network

Nintendo's next earnings are on Jan 30, 2013.

I believe the current stock drop is because Wii U launch was just acceptable. So nothing like Wii, and given the per-unit loss and poor third party game performance it's unlikely to reverse Nintendo's losses by itself (but the currency rates might).

Soleron said:
Nintendo's next earnings are on Jan 21, 2013.

I believe the current stock drop is because Wii U launch was just acceptable. So nothing like Wii, and given the per-unit loss and poor third party game performance it's unlikely to reverse Nintendo's losses by itself (but the currency rates might).

On the Nintendo IR page they have it scheduled for Jan 30th now, it appears.  But I did see the Jan 21 date posted earlier on Google.  Looks like it was pushed back for some reason.

Animal Crossing's explosion in sales should be enough to alleviate people's concerns that Nintendo's business model can still succeed in today's market. The game is selling at a 60% rate to women, many of whom already own smartphones. Women typically account for less than 30% of Nintendo platform owners, so it is indeed a broad market success story and Nintendo should be congratulated as such.

Looking to the future, Nintendo's only real concerns are broadening the market of the 3DS in US/Europe where it is soft, and making sure they keep Wii U sales at a sustainable level where there isn't need for a markdown. The answer to both of these concerns is of course software. Software, software, software.

• Nintendo's fiscal year is from April 1 - March 31st
  • Nintendo does pay a Dividend, twice a year: an Interim and Annual Dividend, the calculation to determine Dividend payments posted on their Investor Relations site is:

Around the Network

Cool, thanks J, I was going to start a thread like this so I'm glad you did. The coming weeks will be tense. 200k WiiU sales per week are what we're hoping for to ensure targets are hit for year end. And the 3rd quarter report will be major.

did the new Pokemon announcement affect the stock?

oh older are they :D

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

DieAppleDie said:

Sadly no :( Today's stock market report was that Europe hit with 26 million unemployment to 10.7%

Furthermore, the yen today depreciated but is back up today, so hopefully with the news of 3DS pokemon and Yen stabilizing it will go up. I fear that the stock will stay where it is currently until investors are shown Q3 report with profitability.

DieAppleDie said:

No. Stock continues to fall.  Pokemon won't start moving the stock forward until much later in the year.

Nintendo has to first and foremost - post an annual profit, and they're working hard to do so.

It's gonna be close.