By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Investors Thread

I put my conservatively. If in a year I can get a 7% dividend and a 20% in principle I am a very happy investor.

I might buy another batch of Nintendo though as do feel it is depressed a bit by people unfamiliar with the industry.

Around the Network

Just how much Cash does Nintendo have, anyway?  Let's figure it out.

Below is a table of Nintendo's Current Assets from their latest Financial Report (million yen): 

Cash and Deposits 478,153
Notes and accounts receivable-trade 45,732
Short-term investment securities 402,446
Inventories 117,176
Other 136,760
Allowance for doubtful accounts (362)
TOTAL CURRENT ASSETS 1,179,906

"Current Assets" just means what Nintendo has that can reasonably & readily be converted into Cash within about a year.

Cash & Deposits - Nintendo has 478,153,000,000 billion Yen in the bank.  At today's exchange rates, that's about:  $5,433,556,818.00  Billion U.S. 

The other item we can add to Cash & Deposits, is Short-Term Investment Securities.  We get:

880,599,000,000 Billion Yen...or about $10,006,806,818 (billion dollars).

Nintendo has a lot of money just sitting in the bank...

Augen said:
I put my conservatively. If in a year I can get a 7% dividend and a 20% in principle I am a very happy investor.

I might buy another batch of Nintendo though as do feel it is depressed a bit by people unfamiliar with the industry.

I think it's a good idea and agree those are pretty good returns.  Go buy some shares, and I suggest buying in 3rd's...to dollar-cost average your price.  If shares continue to fall you'll benefit, and it certainly looks like we haven't hit bottom.

OceanJ said:

Below is a table of Nintendo's Current Assets from their latest Financial Report (million yen): 

Inventories 117,176
Other 136,760

"Current Assets" just means what Nintendo has that can reasonably & readily be converted into Cash within about a year.

Cash & Deposits - Nintendo has 478,153,000,000 billion Yen in the bank.  At today's exchange rates, that's about:  $5,433,556,818.00  Billion U.S. 

The other item we can add to Cash & Deposits, is Short-Term Investment Securities.  We get:

10Bill vs. a 14.4Bill market cap?    This cant be true? 

ulieq said:
OceanJ said:

Inventories 117,176
Other 136,760

10Bill vs. a 14.4Bill market cap?    This cant be true? 

It looks correct.  This illustrates how out of favor Nintendo is with investors, and how depressed their share-price is. Let's look at it from another angle bringing Book Value into the equation. (Basically - Assets minus Liabilities).

From the latest Financial Report Book Value (Total Liabilities + Assets) is:  1,407,448,000,000 (trillion Yen), or $15,993,727,272 (Billion Dollars).

Thus with a current Market Cap of $14 Billion - Nintendo is currently trading BELOW BOOK VALUE, in spite of a new Console release.

What does this even mean? It means investors are actually predicting Nintendo's Book Value will decrease on a downward trajectory, i.e., Nintendo will continue to lose money!

That is why the word "profit" is so absolutely crucial for Nintendo in both Q3 and on the Annual Report.  Investors will be forced to make a price-correction on the shares.

Trading below book happens commonly in investing.  For example many of the financials like Bank of America are trading below Book.  But when you consider how much of Book Value is Cash for Nintendo with Zero debt....vs how much debt a company like BofA has, you begin to see what a ridulous investing opportunity exists, in my opinion.

Nintendo should be trading upwards of $20 / share right now.

Around the Network

What's the chance that Nintendo's strategy right now is to just hold on to a fiscal year profit and take everything that happens til march to the chin(like Sony did last year with the Vita) and to accelerate third party shopping only after the 2013 fiscal year starts?

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Chandler said:
What's the chance that Nintendo's strategy right now is to just hold on to a fiscal year profit and take everything that happens til march to the chin(like Sony did last year with the Vita) and to accelerate third party shopping only after the 2013 fiscal year starts?

That would be suicide. Nintendo needs to move as many units as possible for the Wii U before competition embarks. Furthermore, they need to show what is coming up with a New Nintendo Direct. I mean Lego City, Wii Fit, Monster Hunter and Raymand Legends are coming in Q1 but when? It's unaceppetable honestly and investors like me are paying the consequences.

Vinniegambini said:
Chandler said:

That would be suicide. Nintendo needs to move as many units as possible for the Wii U before competition embarks. Furthermore, they need to show what is coming up with a New Nintendo Direct. I mean Lego City, Wii Fit, Monster Hunter and Raymand Legends are coming in Q1 but when? It's unaceppetable honestly and investors like me are paying the consequences.

Yes but the games you listed are already done deals. I mean the fact that Nintendo might realize right now that they need more to get the Wii U going but that they are holding out right now until the fiscal year is over to go balistic again. Solid dates for the known games and a ND was not what I was getting at.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Vinniegambini said:
Chandler said:

You and me both man.  This is what has lead me to sharply criticize Satoru Iwata and Nintendo management.  Their preparedness, communication, PR and marketing has really, really been disappointing.  This is the subject we beat to death on the "Management Firing Across the Board" thread...

But bottom line - those launch dates should be firm and set in everyone's minds.  

Vinniegambini said:
Chandler said:

Nintendo certainly are secretive.  If this was a U.S. company, we would be looking at management shake-ups, but I guess Japanese culture is completely different.