By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I really suck at games.

AndrewWK said:
iceland said:
Depends on the genre but overall I'll say I'm decent/average, I have friends that are like you though. Some people are naturally gifted lol

Yep they are called Asian

Funnily enough I was thinking about my Asain friend when I wrote the gifted line.

Around the Network

I figured it out! The only game i've lost to a girl in was Tetris! It was the crappy cellphone version. She couldnt beat me with a controller.

I had all illusions of being good at games crushed out of me as a child playing NES. When you try and try and never even come close to beating Battletoads or Ninja Gaiden or Ghosts and Goblins just finishing a game feels like an accomplishment.

Honestly only a handful of games give me such anguish for past ten years. Thank goodness for save files and check points and difficulty settings. Games have definitely become far far more forgiving which is why I no longer feel terrible about my average gamer ability.

Augen said:
I had all illusions of being good at games crushed out of me as a child playing NES. When you try and try and never even come close to beating Battletoads or Ninja Gaiden or Ghosts and Goblins just finishing a game feels like an accomplishment.

Honestly only a handful of games give me such anguish for past ten years. Thank goodness for save files and check points and difficulty settings. Games have definitely become far far more forgiving which is why I no longer feel terrible about my average gamer ability.

lol, yeah. Normally I finish most games on easy the first time so I can throughly enjoy it and then replay it on a higher difficulty^^

I win some and I lose some but the only real way of sucking at video games is if you are not having fun while playing them. Ask yourself this. Are you having fun while playing? If the answer is yes then you don't suck and if it is the answer is no then you might want another hobby. I could care less weather I win or lose and I still try to play FTW and sometimes I like to play FTL it all matters what frame of mind you enter when you pick up your controller and wiht what you want to achieve.

Prediction: GTA V will be my favourite game of all time.

Around the Network

@ Original Poster

I'd say that you just need to stop playing Competitive games. Start playing adventure games, platformers, or action games. I know some of those genres can have scoring systems in them, but mostly they're about having fun and completion, not being "the best." Take the competitive nature out of gaming, and you may find your hobby a lot more enjoyable.

Check out my Gaming Website www.LiveLootLevel.com View my game blog, read some reviews, and leave a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for taking the time guys.

I guess I pretty much suck at video games also I usually play a game on easy on my first playthrough.

I have always considered myself a "gifted" player. And I must say, I think it was pretty much set in stone yesterday when I reached Master Hand and Crazy Hand with all my lives left on Very Hard in SSBM... as if it wasn't already confirmed by the fact that I started playing Guitar Hero on Hard and now can 5 star TTFAF with ease. Or by the fact that I defeated an old friend in Modern Warfare after he had practiced for weeks and I had never even touched the game before... In truth, I find a lot of games too easy, which is why I really love F-Zero GX where perfection is needed to compete with the CPU on Master difficulty. (Did I forget to mention that I also really love myself?)

I must say that it seems to run in the family though, since both my brother and my sister usually have no problems beating hard difficulties in any game. Sadly, the painful truth is that we are not all born winners.

KHlover said:
LemonSlice said:
I'm pretty good, but the prevalence of 10 second check points has diminished my patience with harder titles as of late.

Didn't everyone use Quicksave/Quickload every 10 seconds before the invention of checkpoints? Not that much difference IMO :D 

One of the reasons I moved most of my gaming to consoles was the lack of a quicksave. Thus, no temptation. :)

LemonSlice said:
KHlover said:
LemonSlice said:
I'm pretty good, but the prevalence of 10 second check points has diminished my patience with harder titles as of late.

Didn't everyone use Quicksave/Quickload every 10 seconds before the invention of checkpoints? Not that much difference IMO :D 

One of the reasons I moved most of my gaming to consoles was the lack of a quicksave. Thus, no temptation. :)

Didn't many people rant about unfair checkpoints - was this just part of the challenge for you?