By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I really suck at games.

KHlover said:
LemonSlice said:
KHlover said:
LemonSlice said:
I'm pretty good, but the prevalence of 10 second check points has diminished my patience with harder titles as of late.

Didn't everyone use Quicksave/Quickload every 10 seconds before the invention of checkpoints? Not that much difference IMO :D 

One of the reasons I moved most of my gaming to consoles was the lack of a quicksave. Thus, no temptation. :)

Didn't many people rant about unfair checkpoints - was this just part of the challenge for you?

Challenge, yes. Plus a game is more fun if you actually give a **** whether you die or not. Though I've been spoiled lately, as I said.

Around the Network
LemonSlice said:
KHlover said:
LemonSlice said:
KHlover said:
LemonSlice said:
I'm pretty good, but the prevalence of 10 second check points has diminished my patience with harder titles as of late.

Didn't everyone use Quicksave/Quickload every 10 seconds before the invention of checkpoints? Not that much difference IMO :D 

One of the reasons I moved most of my gaming to consoles was the lack of a quicksave. Thus, no temptation. :)

Didn't many people rant about unfair checkpoints - was this just part of the challenge for you?

Challenge, yes. Plus a game is more fun if you actually give a **** whether you die or not. Though I've been spoiled lately, as I said.

Yeah, I can understand you. Easy Mode has become too easy for me. Depending on the game of course^^

Don't play multiplayer games if you never win. Play single player games. Problem solved.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

I have always considered myself a "gifted" player. And I must say, I think it was pretty much set in stone yesterday when I reached Master Hand and Crazy Hand with all my lives left on Very Hard in SSBM... as if it wasn't already confirmed by the fact that I started playing Guitar Hero on Hard and now can 5 star TTFAF with ease. Or by the fact that I defeated an old friend in Modern Warfare after he had practiced for weeks and I had never even touched the game before... In truth, I find a lot of games too easy, which is why I really love F-Zero GX where perfection is needed to compete with the CPU on Master difficulty. (Did I forget to mention that I also really love myself?)

I must say that it seems to run in the family though, since both my brother and my sister usually have no problems beating hard difficulties in any game. Sadly, the painful truth is that we are not all born winners.

Don't you think that your skill comes from your competitiveness with your siblings growing up? Your FPS skills most likely come from previous playing. I am on my third match in Blops 2 and I am mauling people, but I know I get my controlled bursts from Halo and KZ3. I ultimately attribute those skills to Goldeneye and Unreal on my Dreamcast when I was younger. I was slaughtered by my older friends but I came back.

They invented truskill and universal ladders on Xbox Live for people like you. If you play for long enough on Xbox Live they'll eventually pit you against people who are just as bad as you and then you'll have a good time and maybe improve from there.

Tease.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

I must say that it seems to run in the family though, since both my brother and my sister usually have no problems beating hard difficulties in any game. Sadly, the painful truth is that we are not all born winners.

Don't you think that your skill comes from your competitiveness with your siblings growing up? Your FPS skills most likely come from previous playing. I am on my third match in Blops 2 and I am mauling people, but I know I get my controlled bursts from Halo and KZ3. I ultimately attribute those skills to Goldeneye and Unreal on my Dreamcast when I was younger. I was slaughtered by my older friends but I came back.

Well, it certainly pays a great role. No matter what you do, practicing will make you better. But for some people it doesn't matter how much they practice; they will still be worse than those who are "born" with more skills and who only practice from time to time. For example, some old friends from my childhood spent a lot of their freetimes playing games, and sometimes they decided to bring one of their games over to my house. They still lost shortly after teaching me the basics. To this day, they still perform alot worse then me (well, and my brother) when we gather for some Halo multiplayer.

But yes, I can't rule out the potential influence that competing with my siblings may have had. The OP suggest that this influence might as well be minimal though.