By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Analyst WiiU GameStop sales below expectations

KylieDog said:
Dunno why they even released the 8GB version, the cost between it and the 32GB is nothing, should have just dropped the plastic crap extras of the delux version and sold a 32GB for the 8GB price. Gave people colour options.

personally if I were to pick up the WiiU I'd probably go for the 8GB, as I'm not interested in Nintendoland and instead of 24GB of internal memory I'd rather buy 500GB of external memory - btw I think it looks better in white

Around the Network
TheLastStarFighter said:
@Kitler, I'm a numbers person. Give me numbers. I'm a business analyst by education. I don't use words like "abundant" or "low". If I did, I would have failed university. I would use specifics. I don't know what Mr Bhatia's qualifications are, or where he gets his numbers that no one has seen and he hasn't revealed, but he has told us nothing but his unsubstantiated opinion. I substantiate mine. WiiU is selling at 81% of Wii, it's on pace to sell at Nintendo's shipping projections. This tells me it's selling at the level it's being shipped. This means it's supply constrained. You can bring me up in various threads or make mocking comments, but until you have numbers that contradict me, you're only making yourself look foolish, childish and insecure.

Many people will take no less than Wii like buzz to admit Wii U was "successful".  And when you say Supply Constrained, they will insist on Sold Out everywhere as only proof acceptable.  Marketing is very effective but also very expensive.  Not everyone here will understand that thumping for more sales when all you got for sale is supply constrained is just a way to create profits for ebayers, not Nintendo.  When Nintendo said they learned their lesson from Wii, people think they must've learned how to catch lightening in a bottle again.  I think all that really meant was Nintendo won't get ahead of themselves this time in drumming up demand - boring Nintendo devotion to the buttomline.

Like a true Nintendo fan, I root for better than expected numbers.  As a Nintendo shareholder, I root for healthy business fundamentals and have my fingers crossed that Nintendo does and will have the firepower to turn up the marketing machine once the fermentation period is up, this lukewarm state arguably does make it easier for 3rd parties to take a longer wait n see attitude.

Mr Khan said:
NintendoPie said:

The basic does need to be dropped. I'm not sure why they even thought that was a good idea. TheDeluxe should then be offered in black and white with a lower price before the next holiday.
That should fix things up a bit.

But what Nintendo needs to get figured out is that they need more SW! The reason the 3DS had such a slow selling period is because there were almost no games available. Get it thru your heads Nintendo!

EDIT: I don't believe that it is selling horribly though. Superchunk is right on that point.

The basic was probably to hedge their bets on whether or not the deluxe was too expensive, to avoid an embarrassing 3DS-type scenario. If the Deluxe were truly "too expensive" to most people, then they would just buy the Basic, and they could just sort of phase the Deluxe out, until it became cheap enough to produce to become the new "Basic" price-level.

The basic one probably also acts as a way for them to cut the price without cutting the price by offering better value in the basic bundle. If they started to bundle the charger and the cradle  and the game with the white version it would effectively count as a $30-40 price cut but it wouldn't insult early adopters nor ring any alarm bells with the other players in the industry. Microsoft did a similar thing when they went from the $280 Core to the $200 Arcade which was an effective price drop for some customers of around $120 if you include the memory card costs. Having two SKUs gives them flexibility to crab walk the price and target different segments.

Tease.

I just don't think the system is taking off with casuals/non-gamers like the Wii did in 2006.

The new controller is bulky and intimidating with a ton of buttons. It takes gaming back to sitting on the couch (even for most of Nintendo Land).

I have a lot of friends who were going crazy over the Wii in 2006, and I'm pretty much the only one with a Wii U, whereas with the Wii, I had 5-6 friends out there trying to find one shortly after launch.

Wii U just doesn't have much buzz. Especially with women.

It's a product that appeals primarily to core Nintendo fans.

It will have a rough 2013 until probably the second half of this year where they will predictably attempt a turn-around ala the 3DS (price cut + 3D Mario + maybe Mario Kart). 

Why would Nintendo even offer a measly 8gig model? I think consumers know that is way too little. They have more memory than that on their smartphones...

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Lafiel said:
KylieDog said:
Dunno why they even released the 8GB version, the cost between it and the 32GB is nothing, should have just dropped the plastic crap extras of the delux version and sold a 32GB for the 8GB price. Gave people colour options.

personally if I were to pick up the WiiU I'd probably go for the 8GB, as I'm not interested in Nintendoland and instead of 24GB of internal memory I'd rather buy 500GB of external memory - btw I think it looks better in white

Well lets face it, WiiU target demographic not likey to do things like using external hardrives, Nintendoland isn't a forced bundle the console is sold with other games.  The lower entry price just because someone may want a black console would help too.

Yes it is. If you want the Deluxe you get Nintendoland. That's how it is in the US. There are non other bundles at the moment. At least not officially.

I just wish there will be more games out in Q1 2013.

I cannot wait to play more however I haven't finished yet none of teh 4 games I bought with it!

Switch!!!

Soundwave 15 hours ago

I just don't think the system is taking off with casuals/non-gamers like the Wii did in 2006.

The new controller is bulky and intimidating with a ton of buttons. It takes gaming back to sitting on the couch (even for most of Nintendo Land).

I have a lot of friends who were going crazy over the Wii in 2006, and I'm pretty much the only one with a Wii U, whereas with the Wii, I had 5-6 friends out there trying to find one shortly after launch.

Wii U just doesn't have much buzz. Especially with women.

It's a product that appeals primarily to core Nintendo fans.

It will have a rough 2013 until probably the second half of this year where they will predictably attempt a turn-around ala the 3DS (price cut + 3D Mario + maybe Mario Kart).

WiiU has decent Buzz, just not Wii-level buzz. But I would dispute the women coment. This is purely anecdotal, but I've twice been in a gamestop when a group of girls were literally squealling over WiiU. Also, a (reletavely) large percentage of MiiVerse posters are chicks. Chicks dig nintendo, especially Mario Bros. and Mariokart. Playing NSMBU it's full of girls playing.  I think to get into Wii-level of lady love it needs WiiFit and something else...something new, fun and accessible. Something trendy. But it is popular with the ladies nonetheless. They make up a big chunk of the Nintendo "core".

TheLastStarFighter said:

WiiU has decent Buzz, just not Wii-level buzz. But I would dispute the women coment. This is purely anecdotal, but I've twice been in a gamestop when a group of girls were literally squealling over WiiU. Also, a (reletavely) large percentage of MiiVerse posters are chicks. Chicks dig nintendo, especially Mario Bros. and Mariokart. Playing NSMBU it's full of girls playing.  I think to get into Wii-level of lady love it needs WiiFit and something else...something new, fun and accessible. Something trendy. But it is popular with the ladies nonetheless. They make up a big chunk of the Nintendo "core".

Weren't you the numbers guy? What are the numbers based on facts in this post?

runqvist 14 minutes ago
TheLastStarFighter said:

WiiU has decent Buzz, just not Wii-level buzz. But I would dispute the women coment. This is purely anecdotal, but I've twice been in a gamestop when a group of girls were literally squealling over WiiU. Also, a (reletavely) large percentage of MiiVerse posters are chicks. Chicks dig nintendo, especially Mario Bros. and Mariokart. Playing NSMBU it's full of girls playing. I think to get into Wii-level of lady love it needs WiiFit and something else...something new, fun and accessible. Something trendy. But it is popular with the ladies nonetheless. They make up a big chunk of the Nintendo "core".

Weren't you the numbers guy? What are the numbers based on facts in this post?

I started to use numbers but there were so many hot chicks playing WiiU I lost count.