By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Analyst WiiU GameStop sales below expectations

runqvist said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

WiiU has decent Buzz, just not Wii-level buzz. But I would dispute the women coment. This is purely anecdotal, but I've twice been in a gamestop when a group of girls were literally squealling over WiiU. Also, a (reletavely) large percentage of MiiVerse posters are chicks. Chicks dig nintendo, especially Mario Bros. and Mariokart. Playing NSMBU it's full of girls playing.  I think to get into Wii-level of lady love it needs WiiFit and something else...something new, fun and accessible. Something trendy. But it is popular with the ladies nonetheless. They make up a big chunk of the Nintendo "core".

Weren't you the numbers guy? What are the numbers based on facts in this post?

I don't have solid numbers, but I would put an estimate of 40% to 60% of Miiverse postings go to female Mii avatars ...

Personally, I would argue that Nintendo isn't having problems with the so-called "casual" gamers because I see evidence that social gamers, lapsed gamers, "girl gamers", and whatnot are buying the system in decent numbers. Where I see the sales falling short is the elitest graphic-whore gamer who previously bought the Wii to try it out, and then spent 5 years complaining that it was collecting dust while refusing to buy good games on the system.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
runqvist said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

WiiU has decent Buzz, just not Wii-level buzz. But I would dispute the women coment. This is purely anecdotal, but I've twice been in a gamestop when a group of girls were literally squealling over WiiU. Also, a (reletavely) large percentage of MiiVerse posters are chicks. Chicks dig nintendo, especially Mario Bros. and Mariokart. Playing NSMBU it's full of girls playing.  I think to get into Wii-level of lady love it needs WiiFit and something else...something new, fun and accessible. Something trendy. But it is popular with the ladies nonetheless. They make up a big chunk of the Nintendo "core".

Weren't you the numbers guy? What are the numbers based on facts in this post?

I don't have solid numbers, but I would put an estimate of 40% to 60% of Miiverse postings go to female Mii avatars ...

Personally, I would argue that Nintendo isn't having problems with the so-called "casual" gamers because I see evidence that social gamers, lapsed gamers, "girl gamers", and whatnot are buying the system in decent numbers. Where I see the sales falling short is the elitest graphic-whore gamer who previously bought the Wii to try it out, and then spent 5 years complaining that it was collecting dust while refusing to buy good games on the system.

A game being good is all about personal preference. Maybe there is a possibility that those people just don't see any wii games as good games? Unpossimple I say!

runqvist said:

A game being good is all about personal preference. Maybe there is a possibility that those people just don't see any wii games as good games? Unpossimple I say!

If you're unwilling to try a game how do you know it is no good?

HappySqurriel said:
runqvist said:

If you're unwilling to try a game how do you know it is no good?

Well you are the one who said something about graphic whores, one could assume that you can get a pretty good picture by looking at a screenshot? Don't you think so?

runqvist said:

Well you are the one who said something about graphic whores, one could assume that you can get a pretty good picture by looking at a screenshot? Don't you think so?

How does that tell you how good the game is?

It may tell you how advanced the graphics are, but it doesn't tell you much about the game.

It doesn't really matter though because the core of my point still stands. The Wii sold to many technophiles back in the day because the Wiimote was a flashy piece of technology and lots of people wanted to try it. While the Wii U system itself may be more advanced than the Wii was, the tablet controller is less of a flashy piece of technology and fewer of these tekkies are rushing out to buy the system.

Around the Network

@TheLastStarFighter

I have a few problems with the logic that you have employed. Firstly how is it that you can take issue with the stories source who does have access to real sales numbers, but take this sites tracking as the gospel. How is it rational for you to question a first hand account, but have no doubts when it comes to a second hand estimation. This site can be wrong, and has been wrong in the past by wide margins.

Secondly you haven't proved that it is indeed supply constrained. It isn't up to everyone else to disprove what we don't have any proof for. The only evidence we have is anecdotal, and that evidence tells us there are more then enough to go around. That is all we really need to know, because it means the supply exceeds the demand. So sales aren't being lost due to supply.

Thirdly projections aren't the same as expectations. Nintendo may have in fact expected to sell more units, but was conservative enough to project low end figures. Basically there is a lot of upside to playing it safe. It really decreases the likelihood of their product being seen as a failure.

TheLastStarFighter said:
We know it because the sales are on pace with Nintendo's manufacturing projection pace.

Yet you have failed to nail down a figure for when they started manufacturing Wii U's.  You have simply continued to spout the 400k a week number.  Now a week has gone by where it did not come close to that, and it likely won't be hitting 400k again in the Jan-Mar period.  So what is the new story for how it is supply constrained?

Also for being a "numbers person" surely you'd know that 81% of Wii is not on pace to meet their forecasts.  Since you claim the Wii U is supply constrained and of course the Wii actually was, then the percentage should be applicable to shipments.  The Wii shipped 5.84 million by the end of March '06.  81% of that would have them falling about 770k short of their 5.5 million projection.

HappySqurriel said:
runqvist said:

How does that tell you how good the game is?

It may tell you how advanced the graphics are, but it doesn't tell you much about the game.

It doesn't really matter though because the core of my point still stands. The Wii sold to many technophiles back in the day because the Wiimote was a flashy piece of technology and lots of people wanted to try it. While the Wii U system itself may be more advanced than the Wii was, the tablet controller is less of a flashy piece of technology and fewer of these tekkies are rushing out to buy the system.

Hey, you were the one who decided to rant about graphics whores. Obviously that implies that they care only about graphics, or do you have another definition for graphic whore? If so, please share.

No, your point failed and then you tried to move the goal posts to suit your argument better.

Dodece said:

Thirdly projections aren't the same as expectations. Nintendo may have in fact expected to sell more units, but was conservative enough to project low end figures. Basically there is a lot of upside to playing it safe. It really decreases the likelihood of their product being seen as a failure.

While companies do fail to meet or surpass projections, for the most part they try to project sales as accurately as possible because many investors don't like companies that try to inflate their stock through manipulative projections. Essentially, claiming that Nintendo's projections are the same as their expectations is a fairly reasonable thing to do.

runqvist said:

Hey, you were the one who decided to rant about graphics whores. Obviously that implies that they care only about graphics, or do you have another definition for graphic whore? If so, please share.

No, your point failed and then you tried to move the goal posts to suit your argument better.

No, I haven't changed my goal posts, you're just using a straw man argument because there is no way you can claim that the tech obsessed graphics whore gamer is really buying into the Wii U the way they bought into the Wii.