By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Analyst WiiU GameStop sales below expectations

The basic does need to be dropped. I'm not sure why they even thought that was a good idea. TheDeluxe should then be offered in black and white with a lower price before the next holiday.
That should fix things up a bit.

But what Nintendo needs to get figured out is that they need more SW! The reason the 3DS had such a slow selling period is because there were almost no games available. Get it thru your heads Nintendo!

EDIT: I don't believe that it is selling horribly though. Superchunk is right on that point.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:

The basic does need to be dropped. I'm not sure why they even thought that was a good idea. TheDeluxe should then be offered in black and white with a lower price before the next holiday.

But what Nintendo needs to get figured out is that they need more SW! The reason the 3DS had such a slow selling period is because there were almost no games available. Get it thru your heads Nintendo!

EDIT: I don't believe that it is selling horribly though. Superchunk is right on that point.

The basic was probably to hedge their bets on whether or not the deluxe was too expensive, to avoid an embarrassing 3DS-type scenario. If the Deluxe were truly "too expensive" to most people, then they would just buy the Basic, and they could just sort of phase the Deluxe out, until it became cheap enough to produce to become the new "Basic" price-level.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

TheLastStarFighter said:
BenVTrigger 2 minutes ago
TheLastStarFighter said:
BenVTrigger 0 minutes ago
TheLastStarFighter said:
@Kitler, I'm a numbers person. Give me numbers. I'm a business analyst by education. I don't use words like "abundant" or "low". If I did, I would have failed university. I would use specifics. I don't know what Mr Bhatia's qualifications are, or where he gets his numbers that no one has seen and he hasn't revealed, but he has told us nothing but his unsubstantiated opinion. I substantiate mine. WiiU is selling at 81% of Wii, it's on pace to sell at Nintendo's shipping projections. This tells me it's selling at the level it's being shipped. This means it's supply constrained. You can bring me up in various threads or make mocking comments, but until you have numbers that contradict me, you're only making yourself look foolish, childish and insecure.

I work for Gamestop and the Wii U is not supply constrained.

*sigh.

Please give me the information on shipments of WiiU received, and sales of said shipments. I am specifically interested in ATII or Average Time in Inventory for one WiiU console. I am looking for the data chain-wide, not for one specific store. Thanks.

No way Im giving official numbers as I have zero interest in being fired.

That being said if you want a Wii U gladly walk into any of our stores and you will have no problem finding one

lol. Nice try. Thanks for playing.

BenV has a great track record around here. I am positive he knows more than you do.

Don't remember where I heard it, but I think he is like a regional manager or something.

Also, anyone here can vouch for him. Walk into Gamestop and you will find WiiU. It isn't supply constrained.

Edit - Nevermind. I should have read more before posting as it seems you guys ironed things out.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Mr Khan said:
NintendoPie said:

The basic was probably to hedge their bets on whether or not the deluxe was too expensive, to avoid an embarrassing 3DS-type scenario. If the Deluxe were truly "too expensive" to most people, then they would just buy the Basic, and they could just sort of phase the Deluxe out, until it became cheap enough to produce to become the new "Basic" price-level.

True.

But as we've seen recently, most people bought the Deluxe even with its higher price point. Doesn't that mean Nintendo should start phasing out the Basic set?

M.U.G.E.N said:
BenVTrigger said:
TheLastStarFighter said:BenVTrigger 2 minutes ago
TheLastStarFighter said:
BenVTrigger 0 minutes ago
TheLastStarFighter said:
@Kitler, I'm a numbers person. Give me numbers. I'm a business analyst by education. I don't use words like "abundant" or "low". If I did, I would have failed . iversity. I would use specifics. I don't know what Mr Bhatia's qualifications are, or where he gets his numbers that no one has seen and he hasn't revealed, but he has told us nothing but his unsubstantiated opinion. I substantiate mine. WiiU is selling at 81% of Wii, it's on pace to sell at Nintendo's shipping projections. This tells me it's selling at the level it's being shipped. This means it's supply constrained. You can bring me up in various threads or make mocking comments, but until you have numbers that contradict me, you're only making yourself look foolish, childish and insecure.

I work for Gamestop and the Wii U is not supply constrained.

*sigh.

Please give me the information on shipments of WiiU received, and sales of said shipments. I am specifically interested in ATII or Average Time in Inventory for one WiiU console. I am looking for the data chain-wide, not for one specific store. Thanks.

No way Im giving official numbers as I have zero interest in being fired.

That being said if you want a Wii U gladly walk into any of our stores and you will have no problem finding one

lol. Nice try. Thanks for playing.

Excuse me?  Its well established I work for Gamestop theres been posted proof here

The Wii U is not supply constrained.  Period end of story at ANY retailer.  Wal-Mart, Gamestop, Target, or Best Buy.  That doesnt mean it hasnt had a successful launch however.  It has done pretty well.  That being said calling Wii U supply constrained is a flat out lie

well OBVIOUSLY no numbers mean you are lying! It's not like he can check for himself ..or like how the scalpers got their asses kicked over the holidays etc etc

It's available in abundance at every single store I walk into.  Best Buy, GameStop, Walmart, Meijer, Target, Sam's Club, Toys R Us, etc.  It's selling below expectations, and it's not due to supply constraints.  There are Wii U's in abundance sitting on shelves and in stockrooms everywhere.

Around the Network

It's a software problem. A fourth New Super Mario Bros. game is not the motivation Nintendo fans need to go pick up the new Nintendo system. It's going to be a long, slow 2013 until the heavy-hitters start to hit next holiday.

sperrico87 said:
It's a software problem. A fourth New Super Mario Bros. game is not the motivation Nintendo fans need to go pick up the new Nintendo system. It's going to be a long, slow 2013 until the heavy-hitters start to hit next holiday.

This is it.  Nintendo will be relying on their 3DS for the next 12 months, which shouldn't be a problem since 3DS is the most popular system in the world right now.

And I'm sure Walmart/Target sell more Wii Us than Gamestop.

BenVTrigger 43 minutes ago
TheLastStarFighter said:
BenVTrigger 1 minute ago
TheLastStarFighter said:
Also Ben, you and others don't seem to realise what supply-constrained means. It doesn't mean a bunch of soccer moms beating each other up to get the last one like they did with the Wii a few years ago. It doesn't mean you don't see them on shelves. It simply means that they are leaving stores at a rate that is at least equal to the rate they are entering stores. This can take days or weeks, but it is definitely the case. We know it because the sales are on pace with Nintendo's manufacturing projection pace. I hate anecdotes, but can say personally that when I walked into a several WalMarts and Gamestops and BestBuys on the days before Christmas there were no WiiU's. Stores may and wherehouses may or may not have inventory, but it's not a growing inventory. Not yet anyway. Therefore the supply chain is supply-constrained.

I can agree that stores dont have huge stocks of Wii Us as that isnt the case. However the majority do have inventory. This isnt anywhere similar to back when the Wii launched where it was a complete sell out the moment inventory arrived.

So if your simply saying supply is constant without ever being overstocked I can certainly agree with that. It seems Nintendo is simply keeping pace with sales well. I see people on these forums at times imply the Wii U is in a similar situation to the Wii and thought you were trying to agree with them.

Thank you. I'm glad you get what I'm saying. I don't think WiiU demand is anywhere near Wii demand. Data pegs it at 56%. But my point is that the demand is more than enough to sell 5 million WiiU's, and I include Europe in that. The system is selling at a pace of what it's manufactured. If you were to analyze the supply chain, you would say the bottleneck is Nintendo's production. Now, if 5 million WiiU's were thrown on the market today it would take time for those to sell. Then the constraint would be the consumer. That will happen at some point, probably later in 2013. But right now WiiU's aren't gathering dust, not even in Europe, like some like to say.

Ah simple misunderstanding then. As i said there have been certain members of this forum implying Wii U is a sell out which is what bother me. And Nintendo may very well hit their goal in shipment Ive never said they wont. Im not one of these people who predict doom for Nintendo as I want them to be hugely successful just like the entire industry as it makes my job more secure

Thanks for an intelligent exchange, Ben. Way better than discussions with jaded fanboys.

TheLastStarFighter said:
BenVTrigger 43 minutes ago
TheLastStarFighter said:
BenVTrigger 1 minute ago
TheLastStarFighter said:
Also Ben, you and others don't seem to realise what supply-constrained means. It doesn't mean a bunch of soccer moms beating each other up to get the last one like they did with the Wii a few years ago. It doesn't mean you don't see them on shelves. It simply means that they are leaving stores at a rate that is at least equal to the rate they are entering stores. This can take days or weeks, but it is definitely the case. We know it because the sales are on pace with Nintendo's manufacturing projection pace. I hate anecdotes, but can say personally that when I walked into a several WalMarts and Gamestops and BestBuys on the days before Christmas there were no WiiU's. Stores may and wherehouses may or may not have inventory, but it's not a growing inventory. Not yet anyway. Therefore the supply chain is supply-constrained.

I can agree that stores dont have huge stocks of Wii Us as that isnt the case. However the majority do have inventory. This isnt anywhere similar to back when the Wii launched where it was a complete sell out the moment inventory arrived.

So if your simply saying supply is constant without ever being overstocked I can certainly agree with that. It seems Nintendo is simply keeping pace with sales well. I see people on these forums at times imply the Wii U is in a similar situation to the Wii and thought you were trying to agree with them.

Thank you. I'm glad you get what I'm saying. I don't think WiiU demand is anywhere near Wii demand. Data pegs it at 56%. But my point is that the demand is more than enough to sell 5 million WiiU's, and I include Europe in that. The system is selling at a pace of what it's manufactured. If you were to analyze the supply chain, you would say the bottleneck is Nintendo's production. Now, if 5 million WiiU's were thrown on the market today it would take time for those to sell. Then the constraint would be the consumer. That will happen at some point, probably later in 2013. But right now WiiU's aren't gathering dust, not even in Europe, like some like to say.

Ah simple misunderstanding then. As i said there have been certain members of this forum implying Wii U is a sell out which is what bother me. And Nintendo may very well hit their goal in shipment Ive never said they wont. Im not one of these people who predict doom for Nintendo as I want them to be hugely successful just like the entire industry as it makes my job more secure

Thanks for an intelligent exchange, Ben. Way better than discussions with jaded fanboys.

I didn't know that. It's really a blessing to read a comment by someone who actually has insight and doesn't need to rely on assumptions (regardless of being positive or negative).

Seems the bad Wii U news is starting already. Gamestop's fiscal quarter hasn't even ended yet (I believe its February 2nd 2013) so I am assuming Mr. Bhatia has some conttact within gamestop's upper echelon or has done extensive channel checks or has an early access to the 2012 GameStop Holiday Sales Release which is slated to be released on January 8th 2013. To say its below expectations means that Gamestop had an initial number they wanted to sell and its trending below that. With the stock down 6% today, somebody knows something is not right.