By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Halo 4 sells more in 7 weeks than GT:5 sold in its first year

JayWood2010 said:
Normando said:
So? It's an FPS...It's not even the best selling FPS on the 360 to come out this year...

You really want to see something impressive? Look at every racing game other than the GT series that's ever come out. GT5 sold nearly 10 million copies (PD has it at about 9.7 right now) in a genre that doesn't sell.

When the sales of the Halo series make up more than half of the lifetime sales for the entire genre let me know.

Oh I must've forgot how well Forza has sold this generation.  Only around 15m copies.  Man that is horrible. 

14.2 actually. Which as you may know is less than the 15.68 GT has sold this gen. Odd considering that Forza had 4 games this gen next to GTs 3.

Now don't get me wrong, I really like the Forza games. But the impact that Halo has on the FPS genre isn't anything like the impact GT has on racing games. It's kind of an Apples & Oranges comparo don't you think?

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
kowenicki said:
Carl2291 said:

at what point did i ever downplay halo or say its not a successful? or say that its not a huge ass money maker. i actually never said anything about halo other than it had that bundle. and the most succsessful exclusive isnt GT5, or halo4 or 3. its mario kart. my posts arent about downplaying halo. as for GT shipments, until PD update them we have no idea if they shipped more or not, and thats what im saying from the start. PD numbers showed that GT was undertracked with every time they update them. 

Most of that statement is for the entire thread to read.  A lot of people are downplaying it, not you necessarily.  And yes Mario is by far the biggest exclusive.  I should have said for the HD twins.  What was aimed at you was the first part.  We know it has shipped 9.19m not sold.  It is very likely that it has close to 1m games in stores just like it is very plausible that Halo 4 has 1m in stores.  Once they sell through that then make another shipment then that whole argument about it being undertrracked can be brought back up.  Until then it is just pointless because we don't know how much is in stores.

And befor eyou say anything yes Gran Turismo 5 has sold amazingly well and I'm not trying to downplay that.  Hell I don't even like Gran turismo 5 and I bought it at launch and I'll say it's bee a success.  But this thread has been annoying on all ends and any body who actually knows how a business works can say with 100% no doubt that Halo has been bigger for MSFT than GT for Sony this generation.  That is not an argument but a fact.

The difference is that GT5 has been on the market for a lot longer than the just released halo 4, so for example if both have 9 million shipped its more than likely that GT5 sold more at the moment because halo 4 just released and is selling a lot faster, so they need more stock. where gt5 isnt selling that fast so the dont need as much stock. but clearely halo 4 will outsell GT5, no question about that. people shouldnt be comparing it to GT they should be comparing it to halo 3, atleast that would be a more fun comparasion. 

as for whats bigger for each console halo is without a doubt bigger, never have i denied that or said other wise. both sold great, halo sold better and faster and had a better effect on console hardware sales as far as i can tell. but people who are downplaying the success of gt5 saying it only sells because of bundles are just completely wrong and at some points where being hypocritical when it comes to counting bundle sales. yes GT5 is bundled more than halo, i know. but acting like halo4 isnt bundled and GT5 sold most of its coppies due to bundles is being a hypocrit, regadless of which made more money or which was bundled more (gt5 of course)

Yes, Halo is a better selling franchise, especially in the US. On the other hand, it might be a franchise in decline.

Did old numbered Halo games get price cuts this soon into being released? Will Halo 4 sales reach Halo 3's? (on a much smaller user base when released). The Call of Duty series is the Halo killer that Killzone never was. It's easily replaced Halo as the biggest and most played first person shooter series on Xbox.

XBL Gamertag: ckmlb, PSN ID: ckmlb

Normando said:
JayWood2010 said:
Normando said:
So? It's an FPS...It's not even the best selling FPS on the 360 to come out this year...

You really want to see something impressive? Look at every racing game other than the GT series that's ever come out. GT5 sold nearly 10 million copies (PD has it at about 9.7 right now) in a genre that doesn't sell.

When the sales of the Halo series make up more than half of the lifetime sales for the entire genre let me know.

Oh I must've forgot how well Forza has sold this generation.  Only around 15m copies.  Man that is horrible. 

14.2 actually. Which as you may know is less than the 15.68 GT has sold this gen. Odd considering that Forza had 4 games this gen next to GTs 3.

Now don't get me wrong, I really like the Forza games. But the impact that Halo has on the FPS genre isn't anything like the impact GT has on racing games. It's kind of an Apples & Oranges comparo don't you think?

WHAT?? halo pretty much made console FPS popular. it did redefine console FPS as we know it. you have to give that to bungie. which had a bigger impact on their genre is impossible to say, maybe GT because it effected the racing genre as a hole where halo mostly effected FPS on console. though bungie's Halo CE was a indusrty changer, no doubt about that

bananaking21 said:
Normando said:
JayWood2010 said:
Normando said:

WHAT?? halo pretty much made console FPS popular. it did redefine console FPS as we know it. you have to give that to bungie. which had a bigger impact on their genre is impossible to say, maybe GT because it effected the racing genre as a hole where halo mostly effected FPS on console. though bungie's Halo CE was a indusrty changer, no doubt about that

Halo was the most important and by far the best selling first person shooter on consoles for years. Now that position belongs to Call of Duty. I think Halo's role in making the Xbox a successful brand has been a lot more significant than GT's in making Playstation a success (they relied on 3rd party games more to do that). However, because of Call of Duty's massive rise, Halo's role in selling systems in the next generation is now reduced. Call of Duty will sell more next gen Xboxes than Halo will.

XBL Gamertag: ckmlb, PSN ID: ckmlb

Around the Network

A FPS outselling a Racing Simulator? Shocking....

United States Loves FPS

Why dont just make the thread: "Black Ops II Will sell more in 3 months than Halo 4 will sell Lifetime"??

kowenicki said:
bananaking21 said:
Kynes said:
bananaking21 said:

for people pointing out the GT5 was bundled

enjoy and celebrate the sales, but just dont be hypocrites and downplay GT5 sales because it was bundled after 3 years

Limited edition consoles are at most 250K units, probably not much more than 100K units, and AFAIK are sold for $100 more than an equivalent console. You can't heavy bundle this way.

its a bundle still and it was released at launch, and we dont know how much of those were made. my point is dont downplay GT5 for being bundled in its 3rd year and just act like halo 4 doesnt have a bundle.

millions were made and included in the HALO4 sales numbers.... 360 UNDERTRACKED!!!!

Tagging this thread to put the fear of god into y'all

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
kowenicki said:
Carl2291 said:

at what point did i ever downplay halo or say its not a successful? or say that its not a huge ass money maker. i actually never said anything about halo other than it had that bundle. and the most succsessful exclusive isnt GT5, or halo4 or 3. its mario kart. my posts arent about downplaying halo. as for GT shipments, until PD update them we have no idea if they shipped more or not, and thats what im saying from the start. PD numbers showed that GT was undertracked with every time they update them. 

Most of that statement is for the entire thread to read.  A lot of people are downplaying it, not you necessarily.  And yes Mario is by far the biggest exclusive.  I should have said for the HD twins.  What was aimed at you was the first part.  We know it has shipped 9.19m not sold.  It is very likely that it has close to 1m games in stores just like it is very plausible that Halo 4 has 1m in stores.  Once they sell through that then make another shipment then that whole argument about it being undertrracked can be brought back up.  Until then it is just pointless because we don't know how much is in stores.

And befor eyou say anything yes Gran Turismo 5 has sold amazingly well and I'm not trying to downplay that.  Hell I don't even like Gran turismo 5 and I bought it at launch and I'll say it's bee a success.  But this thread has been annoying on all ends and any body who actually knows how a business works can say with 100% no doubt that Halo has been bigger for MSFT than GT for Sony this generation.  That is not an argument but a fact.

The difference is that GT5 has been on the market for a lot longer than the just released halo 4, so for example if both have 9 million shipped its more than likely that GT5 sold more at the moment because halo 4 just released and is selling a lot faster, so they need more stock. where gt5 isnt selling that fast so the dont need as much stock. but clearely halo 4 will outsell GT5, no question about that. people shouldnt be comparing it to GT they should be comparing it to halo 3, atleast that would be a more fun comparasion. 

as for whats bigger for each console halo is without a doubt bigger, never have i denied that or said other wise. both sold great, halo sold better and faster and had a better effect on console hardware sales as far as i can tell. but people who are downplaying the success of gt5 saying it only sells because of bundles are just completely wrong and at some points where being hypocritical when it comes to counting bundle sales. yes GT5 is bundled more than halo, i know. but acting like halo4 isnt bundled and GT5 sold most of its coppies due to bundles is being a hypocrit, regadless of which made more money or which was bundled more (gt5 of course)

Agreed.  As usual bundles get brought up on this site and they are still irrelevant and useless to bring up.    And I wasn't talking about you downplaying halo, I'm talking to people (I'm assuming you know who) in general.  The only thing I wanted to say to you is you are using shipped number rather than sold.  We don't even know how much Halo 4 has shipped as well as 99.9% of every other game.