By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can someone explain why people thought that Playstation All-Stars would sell millions of copies?

chapset said:

this is not true, if you go back in gilgamesh thread you will see the majority expected 2mill+ easily and many predicted numbers higher than 4mill, I myself predicted 900k if I remember correctly

I'm pretty sure I said "a lot of people" not "the majority".

Regardless, perhaps you're right.  I tried reading through that thread again but it was just a clusterfuck of people talking.  Mixed in with a few sensible and a few crazy predictions, it seems.

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
can you explain me why this upsets you so much ?

I wonder where the groupthink comes from that people get this much off.  When people get this much off, they think something may of flopped bad, due to expectations.  End result is a lot of disappointment and misery.  And that is what upsets me, is bad expectations leading to bad conclusions.  I have to wonder where it comes from.

I never thought that for a second.

because the game is incredibly fun.

CCFanboy said:
Probably because of it using the smash bros concept (note = concept means the original idea for the game). Difference between this and smash bros is smash bros was using it as an original concept at the time. Or they believe sony characters are actually near the level of popularity nintendo characters are maybe.

Another thing i saw about it is that, at its core, it is a 16bit fighting game, that was new at the time, and the gameplay is "timeless" or "dated" depending on one's view.  I would say any sales of Super Smash Bros. successors come from an established fan based married to the Nintendo console.  While a mash up brawl is a cool idea, I am just perplexed why people think that, off the Nintendo platforms, anything Smash Bros. like would end up doing gangbusters.  And also why anyone think Sony would actually lead into it.  

What is behind the hype actually?  Would an Uncharted clone by Nintendo suddenly sell millions on a Nintendo platform?

Around the Network

its at 450K without digital sales as well. and why people expected it to be bundled? easy to move software. let me explain, if this is bundled and goes on to sell a lot through bundles a lot of people will play it, and when they are playing it will get introduced to a lot of characters in it like sly cooper and cole. so they might go out and check the characters and their games and it might lead to them buying it. i still expect it to be bundled heavily next year

richardhutnik said:

I am curious about the reasoning behind this.  I didn't see All-Stars being a big hit, and be the top selling fighting game this generation, but I remember others said it would.  As of now, it is under 400K sold total across all platforms it is on:

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70744/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale/

Can someone explain the reasoning behind this?  I don't get it.  What am I missing?  People were even expecting Sony to do a bundle for it.  Why?  Please explain.  I am confused by this reasoning.  Bundling was seen as a reason to get the millions of sales, it was argued.  I am curious why people thought Sony would bundle it (I did see some Black Friday retail stuff, where retailers did it though).

How about showing us who thought it would sell millions of copies?

EDIT: I should clarify that I'm sure there are a few people who thought this, but I doubt "a lot" of people were saying it would sell millions of copies. Plus, it's always fun to call out specific people on their terrible perdictions. Also, it's rather lazy to base a thread on this topic without referring us to specific examples of people making the claim.

Turkish has predicted 5 millions. This could still be possible.

I guess Playstation fans tend to overhype their exclusives.

Arcturus said:
richardhutnik said:

I am curious about the reasoning behind this.  I didn't see All-Stars being a big hit, and be the top selling fighting game this generation, but I remember others said it would.  As of now, it is under 400K sold total across all platforms it is on:

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70744/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale/

Can someone explain the reasoning behind this?  I don't get it.  What am I missing?  People were even expecting Sony to do a bundle for it.  Why?  Please explain.  I am confused by this reasoning.  Bundling was seen as a reason to get the millions of sales, it was argued.  I am curious why people thought Sony would bundle it (I did see some Black Friday retail stuff, where retailers did it though).

How about showing us who thought it would sell millions of copies?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=142833

Nintendo and PC gamer

I am ashamed to have contributed to those sales. The game has no single player content whatsoever. The much hyped "rival" thing is a joke that probably has been put together in a lunch break. A glorified tech demo of how Sony imagines a Sony Smash.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.