By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U is Nintendo's last console (gaming "journalism" at its worst)

He bought the console just to play NSMBU lol Nintendo are profitable with WiiU plus one retail game sold-what a complete dickhead.

Around the Network
BlkPaladin said:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/information/index.html
Here is the list of major stock holders. Yes Yamaguchi "only" has 10%, which is over 14 million shares or 1.4milion units. Which is currently worth, $1,475,052,118. Which means if anyone wants to forcibly take over the company they would have to pony up about $5.6billion. (But considering such moves will drive up stock prices the actual cost would be much more.)
The thing is you would have convince the minor independent shareholders some which hold Nintendo stock because they are Nintendo fans to sell their stock. The other major share holders you would have to offer more than the stock is worth since they are banks they are using the stocks as part of their portfolio, since Nintendo is one of the rare companies that still pay a dividen.

And they wouldn't be buying NTDOY stock they would be buying stock number 7974  off the Tokyo stock exchange. While NTDOY is Nintendo, it's not the actual stock. (I forget the technicality of it)

5.6b would not be even close to buying majority. It would take at least two times that price, but microsoft could easily afford it and some more. If they really wanted to.

Didn't MS try to buy Nintendo back in the 90's? They were in a much worse situation then than now...

Stupid people, like that article author, should be banned from the Internet. Guess it would be too empty around here then...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

By nintendo's own admission and marketing, they don't make video game consoles. They make toys. Now before your nerd rage takes over, those statements are facts. Nintendo deliberately marketed the NES as a toy. When the NES was launched, every serious gamer that I knew laughed and mocked the toy with the stupid controller. That philosophy hasn't changed. As a toy maker Nintendo has done well. As video game console and game maker, not so much. The next good system and/or game that they make will be the first.

Obviously, TS' claim for this being the last "console" is welcome news indeed.

Nintendo would be better off working with Apple and Google to get Mario on Android, Iphone, Tablets, etc..

You can emulate 90% of all nintendo games already, free of charge on android. Nintendo will continue to lose money if they neglect the current technological landscape.

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
Everything he says about the WiiU is true, although his conclusion (Nintendo to quit making consoles, becoming iOS developers) is ridiculous.

The WiiU is an extremely obselete console and it will not have a long life, but Nintendo is already working on its successor.

In 5-6 years from now when Nintendo releases their next console and the WiiU is not only the "market leader" but has "substantially" outsold the 720 and PS4, I hope you remember this comment!

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

ramses01 said:
By nintendo's own admission and marketing, they don't make video game consoles. They make toys. Now before your nerd rage takes over, those statements are facts. Nintendo deliberately marketed the NES as a toy. When the NES was launched, every serious gamer that I knew laughed and mocked the toy with the stupid controller. That philosophy hasn't changed. As a toy maker Nintendo has done well. As video game console and game maker, not so much. The next good system and/or game that they make will be the first.

can you please provide a source and inform Reggie at the same time?

Their is fanboyism in journalism too. I major in Broadcast Jounalism, and there is a lot of biased articles out there. Nintendo will be just fine! They are a smart company who just recently sold over 1 million 3DS units last week. The Wii U has out sold the 360/PS3 launch numbers in it's first five weeks. They don't need to reach the original Wii numbers to be successful anyways, but it could happen anyways. Now you can look at this and say I'm being bias in saying that Nintendo will be fine, but the numbers don't lie.

@WindyCityHeat They don't need to work with those companies.The 3DS is selling greatly though and they are doing fine. The 3DS is selling at a profit now.

@ ramses01 All game consoles are toys, no matter how you market it the audience.

runqvist said:
timmah said:
runqvist said:
timmah said:
runqvist said:
osed125 said:
runqvist said:
Valid points. I agree with the author that Wii U will fail but it is not very likely that it would be the last nintendo home console. Only chance for that to happen would be msft buying majority of ntdoy, too bad that is just a pipe dream.

Didn't people said the same thing with the Wii? Anyway it will take far too long for Nintendo to go out of business, they have a lot of cash in reserve and zero debt, so yeah not going to happen unless they have like 2 consecutive failure gens. 

10.5b is not very much. That is less than msft profits in just 2 quarters. Ntdoy does not need to go out of business for a bigger company like msft to overtake them.

You're comparing apples to oranges here. It's a lot for a company like Nintendo since cash on hand should be compared to total operating cost.

I don't know if I should even bother to reply to this one.

10.5b is not much, since Nintendo's direct competitor makes double the amount in a year. Ninntendo could be bought by ms, if they really wanted to.

It's very simple and I'm not sure why you don't understand what I said. A company like MS is massive (over $70b/year I believe) and has a massive operating expense. They also do much more than just gaming (obviously). Nintendo on the other hand is a gaming-only company and is much smaller than Microsoft in both size and operating expense. While that would not seem like a ton of cash to Microsoft, it is more substantial to a smaller company like Nintendo, because it can sustain them longer given their lower operating cost. Dollar for dollar, Nintendo is in a very good position based on being debt-free and having much more than their annual earnings in cash on hand.

Let me put it to you this way. $50,000 in savings is huge to a family that only makes $50,000/year, but nothing to a family that earns $1,000,000 year. You have to look at the whole picture, not just the size of the number.

And what on earth does your rant have to do with the context of the post you decided to dump that on? Thanks for commenting about my understanding, it is appreciated since it is coming from you.

why don't you compare MS gaming division with Nintendo's for a fair comparison. 

ramses01 said:

Consoles are toys. They always have been and they always will. No matter how much Sony and MS tries to market the console as something else, that's what it is and  the reason people buy one to is play with it.

All consoles are toys. And console gaming was better when all console companies weren't afraid to admit it.

I LOVE ICELAND!