By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U is Nintendo's last console (gaming "journalism" at its worst)

I always thought a massive issue with the controller is that it was being released into a market that's used to highly refined $300+ tablets and phones. It would always look cheap in comparison.

Around the Network
C0LINx said:
I don't know what he is talking about. The gamepad feels great to me for its size, the UI is fine and NSMBU looks fine. Seems like just a hater. I am very satisfied with my purchase, shame people have to deceive people, I hope once Nintendo will make a game that will show off the power of the Wii U.

i would tell you he is talking out of his ass, but i feel an ass has more intelligence than that. so all i can say is dont take this seriously lol

runqvist said:
timmah said:
runqvist said:
osed125 said:
runqvist said:
Valid points. I agree with the author that Wii U will fail but it is not very likely that it would be the last nintendo home console. Only chance for that to happen would be msft buying majority of ntdoy, too bad that is just a pipe dream.

Didn't people said the same thing with the Wii? Anyway it will take far too long for Nintendo to go out of business, they have a lot of cash in reserve and zero debt, so yeah not going to happen unless they have like 2 consecutive failure gens. 

10.5b is not very much. That is less than msft profits in just 2 quarters. Ntdoy does not need to go out of business for a bigger company like msft to overtake them.

You're comparing apples to oranges here. It's a lot for a company like Nintendo since cash on hand should be compared to total operating cost.

I don't know if I should even bother to reply to this one.

10.5b is not much, since Nintendo's direct competitor makes double the amount in a year. Ninntendo could be bought by ms, if they really wanted to.

Due to the huge stake old man Yamauchi still has in Nintendo stock, it would likely be impossible.

When he dies, perhaps...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

...wasn't everyone saying the exact same thing about the Wii? Granted, the U isn't going to be nearly as big of a hit, but Nintendo's going to be just fine.

runqvist said:
timmah said:
runqvist said:
osed125 said:
runqvist said:
Valid points. I agree with the author that Wii U will fail but it is not very likely that it would be the last nintendo home console. Only chance for that to happen would be msft buying majority of ntdoy, too bad that is just a pipe dream.

Didn't people said the same thing with the Wii? Anyway it will take far too long for Nintendo to go out of business, they have a lot of cash in reserve and zero debt, so yeah not going to happen unless they have like 2 consecutive failure gens. 

10.5b is not very much. That is less than msft profits in just 2 quarters. Ntdoy does not need to go out of business for a bigger company like msft to overtake them.

You're comparing apples to oranges here. It's a lot for a company like Nintendo since cash on hand should be compared to total operating cost.

10.5b is not much, since Nintendo's direct competitor makes double the amount in a year. Ninntendo could be bought by ms, if they really wanted to.

It's very simple and I'm not sure why you don't understand what I said. A company like MS is massive (over $70b/year I believe) and has a massive operating expense. They also do much more than just gaming (obviously). Nintendo on the other hand is a gaming-only company and is much smaller than Microsoft in both size and operating expense. While that would not seem like a ton of cash to Microsoft, it is more substantial to a smaller company like Nintendo, because it can sustain them longer given their lower operating cost. Dollar for dollar, Nintendo is in a very good position based on being debt-free and having much more than their annual earnings in cash on hand.

Let me put it to you this way. $50,000 in savings is huge to a family that only makes $50,000/year, but nothing to a family that earns $1,000,000 year. You have to look at the whole picture, not just the size of the number.

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
timmah said:
plug it in while playing for longer sessions.

How does that work? I only got a recharging stand with my WiiU so it's impossible to play and charge simultaneously.

You plug it in. I almost never play with it not plugged in. What are you talking about. I don't have a charging stand but I would imagine you take the wire out of the charging stand and plug it into the wii u gamepad directly.

bananaking21 said:
ok somebody help me out here, im trying to chose the worst line in this so called "article"

is it "Key point to take from article: "Nintendo’s interface is blatantly Japanese, and it lacks any and all sophistication."

or "First of all, the fact that Nintendo actually decided to ship this joke of a controller called the GamePad with a 6.2-inch touchscreen in the middle says it all"

or "There’s way too much revenue to be made — Nintendo isn’t Sega, and Sega is crushing it as a software-only company."

hmmmmmm no no ill just go with the racist comment. the first one wins!!!

I say it's the last one. It's just so blatantly false.

LemonSlice said:
bananaking21 said:
ok somebody help me out here, im trying to chose the worst line in this so called "article"

is it "Key point to take from article: "Nintendo’s interface is blatantly Japanese, and it lacks any and all sophistication."

or "First of all, the fact that Nintendo actually decided to ship this joke of a controller called the GamePad with a 6.2-inch touchscreen in the middle says it all"

or "There’s way too much revenue to be made — Nintendo isn’t Sega, and Sega is crushing it as a software-only company."

hmmmmmm no no ill just go with the racist comment. the first one wins!!!

I say it's the last one. It's just so blatantly false.

we should make a poll about this.... this is getting hard, they are all just incredibly stupid!

sethnintendo said:

Here is another Wii U review which didn't go so well.  At least this article seems to have a few positives thrown in.   Covers multiple pages but here is a good line from it

"We can't talk about the hardware here without mentioning Nintendo's decision to add the thickest coat of mirrored gloss that we've ever seen on a consumer electronics product. Our black Wii U was coated in dust merely seconds after unboxing it."

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Nintendo-Wii-U-Review/

Oh noes... whatever will i do with all that dust in it?

On other news, the same person reviewing the white model wouldnt even have noticed.

Mr Khan said:
runqvist said:

Due to the huge stake old man Yamauchi still has in Nintendo stock, it would likely be impossible.

When he dies, perhaps...

Do you have a source for that information? Preferrably one which shows how much he owns today. Last one I remember seeing was that he owned 10% but that was in 2007.