By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Nintendo be Releasing a New Home Console in the Next 2 to 3 Years?

And here goes the ban... why? It was obvious attempt, but entertaining one :D

Around the Network

I think the 3DS is the best selling console this christmas, so no.

Wii U will kick it in to high gear this year.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

This thread is pretty good I must say. Trying to win an argument when your defense is false by trying to add more incorrectness on top is quite a feat.

If the WiiU doesn't sell over 50mil by 2016 I would be stunned.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

ThatGreekGuy said:
New DS will be announced this year, that's what I think, they seem to go with it every 2-3 years.

DS (2004)
DS Lite (2007)
DSi (2009)
3DS (2011)

You mean a new 3DS model?  DS/DS Lite/ DSi were all still DS just slightly different variations.  They're not going to release a successor to 3DS two years after launch, that would be insane.

torok said:
ThatGreekGuy said:
New DS will be announced this year, that's what I think, they seem to go with it every 2-3 years.

DS (2004)
DS Lite (2007)
DSi (2009)
3DS (2011)

The DS ones are just console revisions, like PS2 fat and slim, PS3 fat, slim and super slim, the X360 versions, etc. He is talking about a sucessor, like Wii-Wii U. About the OP, simply no, they won't. They don't replaced Gamecube and that was a worst case scenario.

Even if Wii U fail, it's better to wait and plan the gen after. Releasing consoles earlier to fix problems with you current one is a bad idea. Sega did it and things only got worse. You lose your credibility. Besides that, even if Wii U doesn't succeds, it will still sell a good amount and will be enough for the next 6 years at least.

I wouldn't say console revisions, the slim PS2 and slim PS3 are just slimmer, the DS's though added  compeletely different OS after DS Lite and added features such as cameras and more.

I don't think that's a revision.

Around the Network
ThatGreekGuy said:

I wouldn't say console revisions, the slim PS2 and slim PS3 are just slimmer, the DS's though added  compeletely different OS after DS Lite and added features such as cameras and more.

I don't think that's a revision.

It is a revision, think of it as a bundle version, now with a camera, but the graphical capabilites were the same, the processing power was almost the same and did not make out of the shelve games exclusive, button lay out, etc, etc. 

Conegamer said:
This thread is pretty good I must say. Trying to win an argument when your defense is false by trying to add more incorrectness on top is quite a feat.

Well I guess you will have to prepare then, because you will be stunned. You will get first taste when the january sales kick in.

They do a 5-6 year cycle.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

There's a lot of false assumptions in the OP.

However I'm on record that WiiU will have a short life span, with a successor coming in 2016 (which will probably be the last great home console). To be any earlier would require sales worse than GC (highly unlikely) and could be very damaging to Nintendo (see history of Sega).

runqvist said:
Conegamer said:

Well I guess you will have to prepare then, because you will be stunned. You will get first taste when the january sales kick in.

I'm uncertain why. If we say the WiiU has a 2.8mil install base, it'll have to sell 48.2mil over 4 years. That's 12mil a year on average, the Wii was doing nearly double that some years. Why won't it happen? The PS360 managed it...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.