By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Ps3 will FINALLY pass the xbox360 at some point,so what,s the big deal?it,s only 2013

dsgrue3 said:
sales2099 said:
You can have an opinion on something. Doesnt make it relevant in the grand scheme.....

Again, its nice to see, but it is not relevant at all in the big picture of 360 taking Wii globally. Just not gonna happen. So really, NA and UK gains are irrelevant, but still nice to see. Two different things, hope you understand that.

It is not "applauded", it is "acknowledged". PS3 taking 2nd eventually isnt "meaningless", just "irrelevant" in the grand scheme with next gen consoles allready out.

So, just so I understand. 360 passing Wii in certain regions isn't at all relevant to the grand scheme?

Again, its nice to see, but it is not relevant at all in the big picture of 360 taking Wii globally.

So you admit that 360 taking Wii globally is relevant to the grand scheme. By that same logic, PS3 passing 360 globally is relevant to the grand scheme as well.

Hope you understand how fallacious your argument is (by your own logic).

You half got it, not there yet.

See 360 taking Wii globally IS relevant, it wont happen in one years time. So really the victory will be just as hollow as PS3 taking 2nd after next gen consoles are out.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
dsgrue3 said:
sales2099 said:
dsgrue3 said:
sales2099 said:

No you dont seem to underatand. Your talking about Wii fans. They aren't 360 fans.

But 360 passing Wii in NA and UK is more like "Huh, look at that". Its not like were claiming outright victory. We know Wii is still #1 and 360 wont be able to take it globally.

Your just confused as to the emphasis some 360 fans put on it passing Wii in certain areas. Its a "thats nice" bullet point, nothing more.

So 360 passing Wii in certain regions is relevant, but PS3 passing 360 in total sales isn't? You are making your argument even more silly.

No u didnt get my point at all. Its not relevant, its just "oh look at that" or "oh, thats nice".

If it weren't relevant, why would you have an opinion on it like "oh, that's nice"? Obviously it is worth something, by your own admission.

So I ask again, why is that applauded but PS3 passing 360 seen as a meaningless accomplishment?

it's a accomplishment but with what costs. Ps3 lost it's ass this gen. Also it has not done it yet, so who knows if it will. Your over here cheering like it's already happened, it hasn't. PS3 fans have had this pre-party going on for years. Also once 720 launches, ps3 will still be behind and this might shut down there sales to low levels until ps4 launches.

xbox has raided the party and took all the hot b-tch's. Thats this gen in a nutshell. So you may still have your party but all your girls are gone and your almost out of beer.  

spaceguy said:

it's a accomplishment but with what costs. Ps3 lost it's ass this gen. Also it has not done it yet, so who knows if it will. Your over here cheering like it's already happened, it hasn't. PS3 fans have had this pre-party going on for years. Also once 720 launches, ps3 will still be behind and this might shut down there sales to low levels until ps4 launches.

xbox has raided the party and took all the hot b-tch's. Thats this gen in a nutshell. So you may still have your party but all your girls are gone and your almost out of beer.  

I've not made a single celebratory comment?

Also once 720 launches, ps3 will still be behind and this might shut down there sales to low levels until ps4 launches.

You do not know this. Again, would you like to bet on it?

Last portion of your commenting makes no sense. 

sales2099 said:

See 360 taking Wii globally IS relevant, it wont happen in one years time. So really the victory will be just as hollow as PS3 taking 2nd after next gen consoles are out.

Not worth attempting to convey why your statements are entirely contradictory, because you'll never admit it. I tried.

spaceguy said:

Is this ethomaz?

lol I never created a alt account here... I have just 2 bans in five years.

Anyway there is no comparasion sales wise between GT5 x Forza... one sells like hell the other is a decaying franchise.

sales2099 said:

Nono, more like the race ended with Wii taking 1st and 360 2nd. The people left the stadium and went to the next one to see the next race. PS3 is basically running by itself with nobody watching and its competitors allready left for the showers, pretending that the race is still going. It takes 2nd place, but only in its mind :P

Point, most gamers see the generation ending when all new consoles come out. Continuing to sell /= generation still going. It sells but it currently isnt the most current, or relevant generation

The finish line isn't some imaginary thing made up by you or anyone else here that makes them feel better or gives them a sense of victory. There is no "Next console released, so all sales after this point are irrelevant". After the 720, WiiU and PS4 are all released, the previous gen will still go on, which is why DS still sells well and the PS2 sold 50M+ after the newer consoles released.

History doesn't look at things that way either. If we look  in 6 years and none of this gens consoles are being shipped aymore, that is when we know where each finished.

Remember, PS2 didn't finish with 100M sales. It will finish with ~160M.

Staying power is VERY relevant and Sony looks to try and maintain it, evident by their 2013 release schedule.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Hynad said:
dsgrue3 said:
sales2099 said:
Not really, you are willing to bet that PS3 will take 2nd before next Xbox is out, which I doubt given low sales of non-holiday months and MS doing a price drop mid-year to make way for next generation.You also waive your hand at MS and Sony financial statements because 360 and PS3 are grouped with other devices. But we do know that MS has made profit on Xbox far sooner then PS3 did and PS3s 2006-2009 net losses far outweigh 360s initial losses and the RROD thingy.

You say PS3 sold more since 2008, but I say 360 has more lifetime sales throughout it all. PS3 can claw its way year after year no problem, but 360 was 2nd place the entire time, and again made tons more improvements gen over gen.

My sig is comparing 2 IPs. Just happens that the last GT game was released in 2010. Not my problem. Your comparing 2 IPs that nobody really compares anymore or debates about seriously. Thats where your sig is wrong. Relevance is key.

Huge games next year for ps3 + price drop = huge sales. (We've seen it before, history repeats itself) 360 is tanking hard, down 33% on the year, will be down 40% next year in my projection allowing the PS3 to surpass the 360 in November. Even if current trends held firm with Ps3: (-25%) and 360: (-33%) the consoles would finish dead even for 2013. I don't see this happening, the PS3 has more room to work with for price and plenty of big hits coming, it will finish with a comparable year to 2012 albeit still down YOY.

You are using suppositions to substantiate your point - we do not know of net numbers for either product. The initial losses were comparable IIRC. 

No, you aren't comparing 2 IPs, you are comparing 2 franchises' sales figures from 2012 - One such franchise released 2 years prior, the other franchise's games released this year and 1 year prior. If you cannot understand what's so illogical about that, perhaps you should seek a rudimentary logic course.

Come on now. He needs to do all he can to make his lover appear as if it's doing impressively above the competition. Offer him tissues and let him continue to define his life on those silly things.

The 360 is doing impressive against the PS3 because we're looking at it from the perspective of multiple generations and not in some sort of bubble like you seem to.  I mean if a company came in and took 40% of the desktop OS market would you be arguing that it isn't impressive at all because Microsoft has 51%?  Do you realize how stupid that sounds?  The 360 sold 50+ million more than last generation that's a fact, the PS3 has sold significantly less than PS2 and lost significant marketshare that's a fact. 

As far as this "lover" and "tissue" nonsense you seem to be spouting on the forum it seems like a really pathetic way to try to argue when you have absolutely nothing to back you up.  Even if the PS3 does pass the 360 at some point it really is meaningless because it changes absolutely nothing about what has actually happened this generation with the 360 gaining massive 3rd party support, a very strong presence in North America and UK, becoming profitable, etc.

Euphoria14 said:
sales2099 said:

Nono, more like the race ended with Wii taking 1st and 360 2nd. The people left the stadium and went to the next one to see the next race. PS3 is basically running by itself with nobody watching and its competitors allready left for the showers, pretending that the race is still going. It takes 2nd place, but only in its mind :P

Point, most gamers see the generation ending when all new consoles come out. Continuing to sell /= generation still going. It sells but it currently isnt the most current, or relevant generation

The finish line isn't some imaginary thing made up by you or anyone else here that makes them feel better or gives them a sense of victory. There is no "Next console released, so all sales after this point are irrelevant". After the 720, WiiU and PS4 are all released, the previous gen will still go on, which is why DS still sells well and the PS2 sold 50M+ after the newer consoles released.

History doesn't look at things that way either. If we look  in 6 years and none of this gens consoles are being shipped aymore, that is when we know where each finished.

Staying power is VERY relevant and Sony looks to try and maintain it, evident by their 2013 release schedule.

Thats the thing. PS2 will finish with 160 but its generation ended a looong time ago.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

dsgrue3 said:
sales2099 said:

Not worth attempting to convey why your statements are entirely contradictory, because you'll never admit it. I tried.

How so? 360 passing Wii would be just as hollow as PS3 passing 360. I am using the same principles for both cases. After holiday 2013 any gains by anybody become irrelevant and hollow. The gamers will have moved on.

sales2099 said:
Euphoria14 said:
sales2099 said:

Thats the thing. PS2 will finish with 160 but its generation ended a looong time ago.

You think it ended when the 360 released? Maybe you believe it ended when the Wii and PS3 released?

I don't know, I clearly remember God of War 2 releasing in 2007.

Sorry Sales, but you don't get to make up the rules on when and where a generation ends. Sure, a new gen started, but that doesn't mean the previous one just stops.

Whether or not you or some others may consider it "hollow" or meaningless (Which you and those other few do not speak for everyone), if PS3 passes 360 in 2014, you now what that means? That would mean 360 finished last this generation. That's it, that would be the truth. History will show that and no made up rules will change it.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
sales2099 said:
Euphoria14 said:
sales2099 said:

You think it ended when the 360 released? Maybe you believe it ended when the Wii and PS3 released?

I don't know, I clearly remember God of War 2 releasing in 2007.

Sorry Sales, but you don't get to make up the rules on when and where a generation ends.

The rules arent concrete, but it seems a loose gamer consensus is when all 3 consoles release the past gen ends. Some people confuse a console still being alive with its generation still going strong.GOW may have released in 2007, but Gamecube and Xbox were long discontinued. All 3 next gen consoles were out. PS2 was still selling, but it time in the spotlight was over, not to mention its competition was done.