By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is Ocarina of Time not in your top 5 games list?- Smeags top 250 thread proves it is in your collective top 5!

Runa216 said:
Chrizum said:
Runa216 said:
Chrizum said:
Praising OOT is hardly nostalgic, that game took massive leaps in game design back in '98. Of course it has aged but it made such a huge impact, and remembering the game for that has nothing to do with nostalgia.

perhaps, but Pong did the same thing, as did Mario Brothers, yet those don't get remembered nearly as fondly.  

Take the original Mario Brothers, for example.  Great game, without it we wouldn't have Nintendo, consoles, platofmers, or gaming as we know it.  It's widely considered to be one of the most important games of all time, but nobody's trying to say it's the best game of all time becuase it's not.  the controls are sluggish, the level design is simplified by comparison, etc.  It's still a great game, but it has aged very poorly.  It IS possible to appreciate the contributions and significance of a game without coddling it or staring at it with rose-tinted glasses.  

Ocarina of Time is the same deal.  It's a great game, holds up okay, but it has aged poorly and is important becuase of its contributions to the genre moreso than it is for its unrivaled design and polish.  

I wholeheartedly agree with you. It's just that, some people regard it the best game of all time relevant to its time, and others compare it directly to modern games in which case OOT obviously falls short. It's a matter of perspective. I would consider Pong and Super Mario Bros. extremely important games, even timeless as they are still easily playable even today. OOT is a masterpiece in game design and isn't all that different to modern games. In fact, I'd call OOT the first game of the modern gaming industry, as its template has laid the foundation for nigh all modern action and adventure games.

All in all, there are many games out there that have surpassed Pong, Mario and OOT, but very few of them were so important, revolutionary and polished in their respective time.

what about super mario 64?  Couldn't that be seen as the first game of the modern era?  

Hmm. Super Mario 64 was just as revolutionary as OOT for its time, but plays a lot clunkier now than OOT. I think what makes OOT more relevant today is its lock-on function and believable world (which really wasn't that common back in '98).

SM64 laid the groundwork for OOT in a way so I guess both have been essential for the future of console gaming.

A game which is overrated is GoldenEye. Sure, it was brilliant back then, but in the end didn't really change anything about the future of console first person shooters.

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Chrizum said:
Runa216 said:
Chrizum said:
Praising OOT is hardly nostalgic, that game took massive leaps in game design back in '98. Of course it has aged but it made such a huge impact, and remembering the game for that has nothing to do with nostalgia.

perhaps, but Pong did the same thing, as did Mario Brothers, yet those don't get remembered nearly as fondly.  

Take the original Mario Brothers, for example.  Great game, without it we wouldn't have Nintendo, consoles, platofmers, or gaming as we know it.  It's widely considered to be one of the most important games of all time, but nobody's trying to say it's the best game of all time becuase it's not.  the controls are sluggish, the level design is simplified by comparison, etc.  It's still a great game, but it has aged very poorly.  It IS possible to appreciate the contributions and significance of a game without coddling it or staring at it with rose-tinted glasses.  

Ocarina of Time is the same deal.  It's a great game, holds up okay, but it has aged poorly and is important becuase of its contributions to the genre moreso than it is for its unrivaled design and polish.  

I wholeheartedly agree with you. It's just that, some people regard it the best game of all time relevant to its time, and others compare it directly to modern games in which case OOT obviously falls short. It's a matter of perspective. I would consider Pong and Super Mario Bros. extremely important games, even timeless as they are still easily playable even today. OOT is a masterpiece in game design and isn't all that different to modern games. In fact, I'd call OOT the first game of the modern gaming industry, as its template has laid the foundation for nigh all modern action and adventure games.

All in all, there are many games out there that have surpassed Pong, Mario and OOT, but very few of them were so important, revolutionary and polished in their respective time.

what about super mario 64?  Couldn't that be seen as the first game of the modern era?  

You know what early 3D game laid the groundwork for a lot more than Mario 64 while avoiding many of the pitfalls of early 3D gaming such as lousy controls and abundant glitches? Quake! Why is everybody giving Nintendo so much credit for starting 3D gaming when ID released what was not only the most influential game of all time but a game that plays extremely well even by today's standards?

bouzane said:
Runa216 said:
Chrizum said:
Runa216 said:
Chrizum said:

You know what early 3D game laid the groundwork for a lot more than Mario 64 while avoiding many of the pitfalls of early 3D gaming such as lousy controls and abundant glitches? Quake! Why is everybody giving Nintendo so much credit for starting 3D gaming when ID released what was not only the most influential game of all time but a game that plays extremely well even by today's standards?

Agreed, Quake was arguably more important than SM64, although I'd say Quake was more of a natural progression kind of game wheras SM64 made a bigger splash initially as it was a bigger step from 2D platformers.

Chrizum said:
bouzane said:
Runa216 said:
Chrizum said:
Runa216 said:
Chrizum said:

Agreed, Quake was arguably more important than SM64, although I'd say Quake was more of a natural progression kind of game wheras SM64 made a bigger splash initially as it was a bigger step from 2D platformers.

I'll give you that much seeing that Doom and Wolfenstein (despite being fairly awful in my opinion) did many of the things that Quake improved upon.

For me it's all about SOUL. It had real spirit, it was emotional, at times funny, at other times dark. It's just an incredible game. Never been bothered about the graphics - they might not be that great, but when a game sucks you into it's world, graphics don't matter. Your mind fills in all the blanks. It actually felt to me like the Gorons, Gerudos, Zoras and inhabitants of the town/ranch had lives and stories to tell even when I wasn't there to witness it. The only game that gave me the sense even more than OoT was Majora's Mask, which is why to this day that is my favourite game of all time.

Saying you don't get why it's topped countless best games of all time lists is fine. Just be sure and realise that there are a LOT of people who do realise why and believe it thoroughly deserves its place at the top.

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

I think this was the other big reason for why I wasn't as impressed with OOT. Mario 64 absolutly blew my mind as a kid and really opened my eyes to the potential games have for creating interactive worlds. So when Ocarina came around and everyone was praising it for its coherant world and such, my reaction was basically. "Well of course it has all that, after Mario 64 why wouldn't it?"

I mean it definatly improved on and evolved from the Mario 64 formula. But I always thought it was more of an obvious evolutionary step as oppossed to the way that Mario 64 left me completly stunned. I don't think I'll ever see another game that'll have that same effect on me. (God of War 3 is the only other game to give me that "How in the hell have they pulled this off" feeling to the same extent, but it lacked the "This completly changes my view of games" feeling).

It's definitely one of my favorite Zelda games...
Definitely better than Twilight Princess. I think on par with Wind Waker.
I haven't played very much of SS, so I won't compare it to that.
I think I like A Link to the Past more than OOT. It's just so awesome!

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

I never really got the chance to play it as a kid unlike SM64. replayed it later and liked WW and TP over it. Mainly because it's surpassed as a game. For it's time it was great but since I couldn't relish in that period of time, I missed out and dont care for it.

It's not in my Top 5 because I never really found enjoyment in it.
Most of the reason why you guys like it so much (I think) is because it holds value to you.
I just never saw it as that important, probably because I'm younger!

because majora's mask is better