By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's chances of going bankrupt in the next two years

LOL at Sony Fanboys thinking this is an anti-Sony thread before reading the post, feel threatened much?? I don't care either way, but if someone has to defend a company that hard, said company might be in SOME trouble, whether it's financial, market share, software sales, hardware sales, finishing 3rd this Gen, etc etc

Around the Network

I think a bigger question is what are the chances that Sony, if they continue to struggle over the next few years and the PS4 struggles out of the gate the same way the PS3 did, gets partially bought by or merges with another major electronics company like say Samsung for example?

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

in before ban

I was reading the text and then went to read the article on the site and seen it was from February. I thought they were lowered again and got a new president, but that is not the case after reading the date on the site.

Anyway, I think Kaz is trying his best to make Sony better then they are and possible bring them back to their glory days. Only time will tell how they are doing over all. March 31st, will give us some info on their earnings and loses and tell us if Kaz is pushing Sony into the right direction.

wait, did they seriously just get downgraded AGAIN???

EDIT: maybe you should clarify your story jaywood, or take out the downgrade bit.

Around the Network
biggamejames79 said:
LOL at Sony Fanboys thinking this is an anti-Sony thread before reading the post, feel threatened much?? I don't care either way, but if someone has to defend a company that hard, said company might be in SOME trouble, whether it's financial, market share, software sales, hardware sales, finishing 3rd this Gen, etc etc

Trolling much?? Isn't only Sony which has had a massive drop in market share and profits over the last decade but you probably don't care for that, right? Then why post if it doesn't concern you? Even if Sony as whole doesn’t recover their gaming division will stay strong.

always fun when people don't read the op and just comment the title. pezus his thread was also a great example for that.

@Train Wreck

I think you have a somewhat skewed view of what structured bankruptcies such as chapter eleven entail. They aren't any kind of get out of jail free card. They don't remove a companies debts. They just transfer ownership from the current owners in this case the stock holders to the creditors. Basically the company is just becoming the collateral to pay the debt. Granted this is just a expedited explanation, and there are nuances. Depending on the specific laws in question. In all likelihood since Sony is based in Japan. It would be resolved under Japanese law.

That all said the creditors still have rights. They can petition for liquidation, or veto a restructuring plan. In the end it really depends on whether they think continued operation of the business will not damage their bottom line further, and it stands a good chance of generating them a profit. In the case of Sony seeing as the company had large cash reserves at the beginning of its slide, and would have exhausted them by the time of the filing. Chances are the creditors would be far from likely to approve a restructuring.

Sony wouldn't be much of a valid operating concern at that point in time. Continued operations would actually carry significant risks. No amount of restructuring adequately addresses the real problem, and that is Sony's catalog of products would actually be uncompetitive in their market place. There are good arguments for restructuring bankruptcies, but give the nature of Sony's business model. No such good arguments seem to apply. We aren't talking about a bank who's assets may be undervalued, but will undoubtedly improve in a economic recovery, or a business that had a short fall, because of a unexpected rise in the price of energy.

theprof00 said:

wait, did they seriously just get downgraded AGAIN???

EDIT: maybe you should clarify your story jaywood, or take out the downgrade bit.

Ok, Ill clarify that this was in February I think.  I was posting what happened earlier this year and then showing where they stand today.

You Sony fanboys are funny, he's only speaking the truth! Just face it, Sony is not the behemoth that it used to be! Their reign of power is coming to an end. They're losing money in the TV business, computer business, camera business, phone business, and they're still losing money in the gaming business. And what little they make on software and peripherals is peanuts and nowhere near enough to keep the company afloat. Sony music and Sony pictures are making money though, if they downsize and restructure they might decide to focus their efforts in those divisions. Samsung, LG, Apple, and others are gonna put Sony in the ground.

I'm not a Sony hater but I just call it as I see it, and right now it doesn't look good for Sony. Every company goes through cycles of good times and bad. Maybe they can weather the storm who knows.