By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Top 5 3DS Games out now and Top 5 Anticipated 3DS Games

Just picked up a 3DS XL..

Cant wait for :

Devil summoner soul hackers
DQ7
MH4
Animal Crossing
Bravely Default

Around the Network

Anticipated

1) fire emblem
2) soul hacker
3) pkm md 4
4) bravely default ( we all know its coming in 2013 as all the bravest)
5) etrian iv

Anticipated:

1. Fire Emblem: Awakening
2. Monster Hunter 4
3. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
4: Animal Crossing: New Leaf.
5. Dragon Quest 7

Apparently I'm the only person looking forward to the new Brain Age...
I find the premise behind it interesting...
But the game I'm most looking forward to is Fire Emblem...

Have a nice day...

bouzane said:

"But if you want to know of some of the original titles to be found on 3DS, most of them are on the eShop."

These digital games are increasingly the ones I find myself playing. Super Meat Boy for example is my favorite game and I've finished it six times now. I find the big budget titles to be largely uninspired drivel created by marketing departments.

"If you like Shantae, why wouldn't you want more Shantae?"

Because I would rather devote that time to an entirely new game. That being said, I do play many sequels but I wouldn't buy a system for them. Also, I won't even entertain the thought of buying part 7, 8, 9, etc... of a franchise. God of War II was once my favorite but I won't even give Ascension so much as a sideways glance. If any developer is still relying on the same franchises 20 years from now as today then I'll simply move on to more creative teams. Kind of like how I stopped playing Nintendo games after the GameCube / GameBoy Advance, Konami after the PS2 / PSP and Capcom after the PS1.

I see where you're coming from, but honestly I don't feel these two statements mesh together. Clearly you are willing to replay a game you enjoy at least six times. Why is that better than playing it a couple of times and then playing a different game cut from the same cloth?

And the latter part of your post -- "I won't even entertain the thought of buying part 7, 8, 9, etc... of a franchise" -- is pure lunacy in my opinion if it means you've missed out on games like Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, any Zelda game at all, Half-Life 2 Episodes 1/2, Donkey Kong Country Returns... it depends upon your own tastes. I don't spend much time playing games myself, so I don't play a large selection, but I do play a wide variety. If you limit yourself only to original games and new IPs, you WILL miss out on some of the best experiences to be had on any console. Having a number in its title doesn't make a game less worthy of your time.

I can definitely relate if what you mean is that once you've had a certain gaming experience, you've had it and you're ready to move on to a new one. But that wouldn't account for your playing Super Meat Boy 6 times. Why would you be so willing to do that, yet so unwilling to play Super Meat Boy 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 one time apiece?

JWeinCom said:

Porting is bringing a game from one system to another.  SFIV Arcade Edition is not a port because it's still running on the same system.  3 Ultimate is going from the Wii to the 3DS I believe, so it is a port.

Nope, 3 Ultimate was never a Wii game. It will be a Wii U game, but that will be an HD port of the 3DS game.

Around the Network

Not really own that much 3DS games atm, so it's pointless for me to provide some top-5 list. And nothing that caught my attention from next year releases, even though everyone seem to be hyped for new Fire Emblem. But if next year Nintendo will release new Zelda and/or Advance Wars I'd be satisfied. Intelligent Systems should be free from any projects right now, hopefully they're busy with next AW game.

BTW is GR: Shadow Wars any good? I'd have passed on it only because of the "Ghost Recon" title, but after realising it's a turn-based tactics made by Gollop I got interested.

Is Scribblenauts not out on 3DS yet? cuz I have it on my PC...

3. Kid Icarus
2. Mario Kart 7
1. Super Mario 3D Land

I really want PM Sticker Star, probably my most wanted 3DS game right now.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

the_dengle said:
bouzane said:

"But if you want to know of some of the original titles to be found on 3DS, most of them are on the eShop."

These digital games are increasingly the ones I find myself playing. Super Meat Boy for example is my favorite game and I've finished it six times now. I find the big budget titles to be largely uninspired drivel created by marketing departments.

"If you like Shantae, why wouldn't you want more Shantae?"

Because I would rather devote that time to an entirely new game. That being said, I do play many sequels but I wouldn't buy a system for them. Also, I won't even entertain the thought of buying part 7, 8, 9, etc... of a franchise. God of War II was once my favorite but I won't even give Ascension so much as a sideways glance. If any developer is still relying on the same franchises 20 years from now as today then I'll simply move on to more creative teams. Kind of like how I stopped playing Nintendo games after the GameCube / GameBoy Advance, Konami after the PS2 / PSP and Capcom after the PS1.

I see where you're coming from, but honestly I don't feel these two statements mesh together. Clearly you are willing to replay a game you enjoy at least six times. Why is that better than playing it a couple of times and then playing a different game cut from the same cloth?

And the latter part of your post -- "I won't even entertain the thought of buying part 7, 8, 9, etc... of a franchise" -- is pure lunacy in my opinion if it means you've missed out on games like Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, any Zelda game at all, Half-Life 2 Episodes 1/2, Donkey Kong Country Returns... it depends upon your own tastes. I don't spend much time playing games myself, so I don't play a large selection, but I do play a wide variety. If you limit yourself only to original games and new IPs, you WILL miss out on some of the best experiences to be had on any console. Having a number in its title doesn't make a game less worthy of your time.

I can definitely relate if what you mean is that once you've had a certain gaming experience, you've had it and you're ready to move on to a new one. But that wouldn't account for your playing Super Meat Boy 6 times. Why would you be so willing to do that, yet so unwilling to play Super Meat Boy 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 one time apiece?

JWeinCom said:

Porting is bringing a game from one system to another.  SFIV Arcade Edition is not a port because it's still running on the same system.  3 Ultimate is going from the Wii to the 3DS I believe, so it is a port.

Nope, 3 Ultimate was never a Wii game. It will be a Wii U game, but that will be an HD port of the 3DS game.

Why replay SMB over playing a new game cut from the same cloth? Because there is no similar game on the market of a comperable level of quality. Super Meat Boy is exceptionally good, a level of quality that I have never experienced elsewhere (well, other than Virtua Fighter 4). Additionally, it's a rather short game (I can rush through SMB to Golden God+ in one sitting) and I'm much more likely to replay / buy a sequel if a game is short. I don't think I made myself clear when I mentioned sequels but the whole point is to avoid spending countless hours replaying what is essentially the same game. How do Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy quality as the 7th+ derivative of the originals? Mario 64 and Metroid Prime made enough changes for me to consider them to be new. That being said, I couldn't even get through MP2 so I'll likely never get around to the third. Half-Life is one of my favorite franchises and Episodes 1 & 2 were short titles released nearly a decade after the original and even then I didn't exactly rush out to play Episode 2. While it was a great game, there's just no magic in Episode 2, it's all too familiar. Furthermore, Donkey Kong Country Returns is the first title in the series since 1996, that's more than enough time for something to feel at least somewhat fresh and new (I'm guessing here because I never played it). I'm not going to exclude games getting a complete overhaul in 3D or a similar sequel decades later. I'm mostly talking about uninspired drivel like New Super Mario Bros. 4 and Mario Kart 7.

Current
SM3DLAND
NSMB2
PAPERMARIO
KIDICARUS
RESIDENTEVIL

To come
LUIGI MANSION
ANIMAL CROSSING
SSBRAWL
ZELDA
MONSTER HUNTER