By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Worst Moves in History (Microsoft)

- RROD
- Not utilizing their best 1st part devs
- Their general attitude that exclusive don't matter
- Charging to play online

Around the Network

- RROD
- Letting big exclusives slip away
- Focusing more on multimedia at E3 than games
- Not trying hard enough to appeal to the Japanese
- and of course, Rare.

-Not making a MechAssault 3
-Taking down XBOX Live (original) so I cant play MechAssault 2 online
-Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts
-Not throwing money at sega for another JSR and Panzer Dragoon game
-Not making PGR5!

Balmer not giving a shit what their shareholders think is another one.

Adinnieken said:
Soleron said:

Pissing off all the OEMs by making a Surface tablet and selling it in Best Buy, without the $100 fee they charge the OEMs for WinRT.

This will have a SERIOUS effect on the Windows monopoly, just watch.

It won't be, because it isn't monopolistic.  If it was then Apple would be a monopoly which, consequently, it isn't.

The Surface is, when compared to similar hardware, reasonably priced.  It isn't notably less expensive, and it notably more expensive.  As a corporation, Microsoft, even in its products, has to justify costs.  It can't offer a zero cost to Windows 8 RT/Pro, when in another part of the business they've calculated the an actual cost. 

That said, the actual cost isn't $100.  That's a flat out factually inaccurate.  The price is $50 for Windows 8 RT, $65 if Office 2013 is included.  That prices is the top tier price, with the fewest number of licenses being purchased.  Increase the quantity of devices and that price goes down.

The $100 price you cite is for Windows 8 Pro and Office 2013. 

Microsoft and monopoly go hand in hand, but I will admit that the Surface is reasonably priced if you're  into tablets. Ipad is still either on par price wise or cheaper if you're willing to go down a couple Gb. Theres also plenty of older models on the secondary market that are used.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

XSN. They got their collective asses handed to them by the third party competition.

I don't see why any gamer would look back to XSN and call it a bad move or a mistake. The service was ahead of its time and it brought up amazing games like Links 2004, Top Spin, and Rallisport Challenge 2. Those 3 games alone you could throw up against any games in their genres today, 9 or 10 years later, and they are still great. The problem was the other 3 games in the main sports were not up to par and gamers didn't seem interested in sticking with the franchises while they were ironed out when you could buy Madden football or 2k basketball instead.

But the year after XSN games launched, Madden and 2k had online leagues so you could say XSN pioneered a lot of the online social competitive gaming we see in sports games today. Furthermore right after they closed XSN, MS partnered with EA Sports and it was a huge reason why Live took off so well.

They must have done a pretty amazing job over the years if they is one of their worst moves.

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Ohh ohh OHHH!! I got one!! Making Steve Ballmer their CEO.

Good one haha, that goon needs to go!

ZKB9 said:
As someone who just jumped ship from MS, these are the things that really bothered me:

Every major game is a multiplat shooter
The only realy MS exclusive they have is Halo
Ripping off the Mii
Kinnect
The seem to focus less on games these days and more on multimedia features

I kinda see where your coming from.

but MS have released major games this gen that arent shooters. And many good ones which are severly underated for whatever reason. Also you say they seem to focus on multimedia but yet have more games in the last 2 years than Nintendo have.

Games like Fable 2 & 3 great games. Alan Wake easily the best survival Horror/Pshych thriller. Way better than Resi 5 and 6. Forza 3,4. Also arcade Horizon. Ninja Blade was amazing fun. Extremely underated. Lost Odyssey absolutely smashes FF13. Crackdown awesome GTA style multiplayer fun. Magna Carta 2, Tales Of Vesperia all great JRPG's hugely underated. Star Ocean 4 also. Then theres PGR 3 and 4 and the awesome XBLA games like Fez, Minecraft, Shadow Complex ( amazing game ) Trials Evolution. Remakes of Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie, Perfect Dark N64 HD remake. Full House Poker, Twisted Shadow Planet. 

Actually the list can go on. Blue Dragon etc etc.

Only really Halo and Gears are major released sooters. Even  then Gears and Halo are very different games. Although both Shooters they play very differently and are both spot on in character design.

I think people have this perception of xbox still even though MS have many great ggames outside the shooter realm.

Releasing an incomplete console killing the brand for me forever

RROD and losing Bioware and Bizarre Creations.