By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Who do you think will win the console wars?

I laughed at all of the "PS3 will win, guys! Really...!!" predictions.

Never in a generation has a system come from behind to dominate the competition. So, not only would Sony have to buck 30 years' worth of trends, they'd also have to do so against the fastest selling console of all time. That would require both a mass migration to the PS3 and Wii sales dropping off so dramatically that it would be unprecedented in not only the sales of video games, but also the sales of consumer electronics in general.

In other words, Sony would have to pull off a miracle. And, last I checked, an electronics manufacturer isn't exactly capable of miracles.

Enjoy your cognitive dissonance.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
NeoRatt said:
360: 75 Million

PS3: 75 Million

Wii: 75 Million

Hedging your bets?

Not a hedge... Just think that Wii is strong now but, will fade slowly as the generation progresses.  Especially, if it lasts until 2012...  360 started with a lead and it is slowly being eroded by PS3.  But, if anyone thinks Microsoft is going to sleep while Sony takes over I think they are clueless...  Equally, clueless is anyone who thinks PS3 is out of the race even though they have had a slow start.  So the prediction stands.  At the end of the generation the three stooges will look at themselves and realize they really didn't gain anything.

Stever89,

Where is your prediction for life time (and 2008)?
I misunderstood probably, but in your post to CrazzyMan you mentioned 16 mill or so PS3s sold in 2008 - was that only forhis crazy comparison between PS3 vs PS2 and CrazzyMan's 16 mill for the year?.

Username2324 said:
Stever89 said:
Username2324 said:

I hate when people give Wii the title of "Unique gameplay" they seem to forget that the PS3 has motion sensing too, a far more accurate sensor as well. Play some of the PS3's games, they are unique in themselves, they arent like the Wii where its only a swing, or a pitch, no need for that annoying sensor box either. Uncharted:Drakes Fortune, uses traditional controls and motion sensing to keep your balance on logs and narrow passes, Warhawk motion sensing in the Air or in Ground Vehicles while using normal controls on foot. NBA 2k7/2k8 motion sensing to shoot free throws, Motorstorm has motion sensing, Blazing Angels 1&2 both have motion sensing, Rub a Dub a very unique downloadable game for the PS3 is entirely motion sensing, Toy Home another downloadable game using motion sensing, and again some unique gameplay. These are the only games that I own that have it, so I couldnt name all the PS3 titles that can either switch between controls and motion sensing or incorporate both into the game. So I suggest you either buy a PS3 or spend alot of time with someone who has one and you will realize the Wii is not as nearly as glamorous as you think it is.

1) Play some Wii games. They aren't all swing, pitch, etc, and the sensor bar adds so much to FPS that's it not even funny (I don't know if it could done another way though?)

Games: Zack and Wiki uses the Wiimote like a balancer so you can cross logs and such as well. Madden allows one to pass the ball simply by throwing the wiimote in a football like motion. Excite Truck, NFS: Prostreet. Theres a Blazing Angels for the Wii and I would assume it uses similar motion technology, but I haven't played it, so I can't say for certain.

The only reason I think the Wii is better than the PS3 is because I like the motion controls for just about anything. Looking at PES2008 for the Wii gets me excited because it looks interesting and complex, and it's simply a mash button contest. I've played Marvel: Ultimate Alliance on the Wii and 360, and find the 360 version very nice looking, but the Wii has the upper hand in my book. Why? Motion controls, that allow you to do more attacks than on the 360 version at any given time. With the 360, you had X, Y, A, B for attacks, and Y I believe was reserve for the super attack. that leaves you with 3 attacks. On Wii, you had, Wiimote motion up, Wiimote motion down, wiimote motion side to side, wiimote motion forward, and then you could assign a 5th one to the A button. Also, the 360 version sometimes felt like a button mashing game... though the wii version could become a flinging your arms around game, but since you had 4 motions, which is different than pressing 4 buttons (ie, pressing a button is pressing a button). 

the PS2 managed one year to sell 20 million units, and that was it's third year,
PS3 apart MGS4, DMC4, GTA4, FFXIII, GT5 have MORE BIG and AA games in 2008. Like KZ2, Resisatnce 2, Tekken6, LBP, WKS, SC4 and etc. 2nd PS3 year is MUCH GREATER then 2nd PS2 year was in terms of games.
Also imagine how many people will buy a Wii for $149 when they drop the price (if they ever do).
Price is NOT holding people from buying Wii. It`s CHEAP.
BUT, i don`t see much people who wouldn`t buy Wii for 99$. unless they don`t want low quality graphics and don`t care about controls. =)
Like the Wii price drop, I doubt the PS3 will sell 20 million this year alone, even with big games and price drops.
Well, we will know pretty soon, after one week, if there will be a price drop. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Stever89,

Where is your prediction for life time (and 2008)?
I misunderstood probably, but in your post to CrazzyMan you mentioned 16 mill or so PS3s sold in 2008 - was that only forhis crazy comparison between PS3 vs PS2 and CrazzyMan's 16 mill for the year?.

Yeah, I think Wii will probably be at 150 million (the number of elders is growing... lol), PS3 at 35 million, and the 360 not far behind.

In the post to CrazzyMan, I was simply showing how "crazzy" it would be for the PS3 to get to 100 million. My comparisons (which you can download from my sig) show that consoles just don't go through a "rebirth" after games and/or pricecuts. The GameCube never saw an increase over it's launch year sales even with pricecuts and great (mostly Nintendo) games. I said 16 million PS3 second year which is not 2008, it's Nov 17, 2007 to Nov 17, 2008 for NA and Japan, and March 23, 2008 to March 23, 2009 for Others. I used that number because the PS2 sold 18 million it's second year, after it sold 13 million in it's first year. That's only an increase of 5 million. People are talking about the PS3 increasing nearly 7 or 8 million, which has NEVER happened, as far as my data shows. Also, since the PS3 only sold 7 million first year (though we're not at March, so let's increase that to 8 million for arugments sake), to increase to 16 million, that's a 100% increase year over year (meaning, 2nd year sales compared to 1st year sales). The PS2 only saw an increase of 40%. The GameCube and Xbox saw barely none (the gamecube actually fell 2nd year). 

That's way more than you probably wanted to know (a "no" would have worked probably? lol), but... now you know! 

RolStoppable said:
Username2324 said:

I hate when people give Wii the title of "Unique gameplay" they seem to forget that the PS3 has motion sensing too, a far more accurate sensor as well. Play some of the PS3's games, they are unique in themselves, they arent like the Wii where its only a swing, or a pitch, no need for that annoying sensor box either. Uncharted:Drakes Fortune, uses traditional controls and motion sensing to keep your balance on logs and narrow passes, Warhawk motion sensing in the Air or in Ground Vehicles while using normal controls on foot. NBA 2k7/2k8 motion sensing to shoot free throws, Motorstorm has motion sensing, Blazing Angels 1&2 both have motion sensing, Rub a Dub a very unique downloadable game for the PS3 is entirely motion sensing, Toy Home another downloadable game using motion sensing, and again some unique gameplay. These are the only games that I own that have it, so I couldnt name all the PS3 titles that can either switch between controls and motion sensing or incorporate both into the game. So I suggest you either buy a PS3 or spend alot of time with someone who has one and you will realize the Wii is not as nearly as glamorous as you think it is.

The sensor bar of the Wii is only used for the pointer of the Wiimote, the motion sensing works independently. What you have described for most of the PS3 games is simply tilting the controller in most cases.

You should play Metroid Prime 3 Corruption to realize the superiorty of the Wiimote/Nunchuk. Besides the pointing and shooting (which the Sixaxis can't do at all), you have different motions for both parts of the controller including tilting, twisting, pulling, pushing and mimicking a "lasso" (i.e. grapple beam), for lack of a better word.

Playing Metroid Prime 3 on the Wii is enough to realize the PS3 motion sensing capabilities are not nearly as glamorous as you think they are.

Beat me to the chase... though I had some good points, and different points. High five Rol!

Stever89

After all your data analysis it's a little strange you come up with no more than 35 mill X360s and PS3s. There's 4 more years left of this gen you know. Only 6 mill/year??

And 150 mill Wiis is almost JohnLucas crazyness...

Haha, you're kidding right?

CrazzyMan said:

the PS2 managed one year to sell 20 million units, and that was it's third year,

PS3 apart MGS4, DMC4, GTA4, FFXIII, GT5 have MORE BIG and AA games in 2008. Like KZ2, Resisatnce 2, Tekken6, LBP, WKS, SC4 and etc. 2nd PS3 year is MUCH GREATER then 2nd PS2 year was in terms of games.

Also imagine how many people will buy a Wii for $149 when they drop the price (if they ever do).

Price is NOT holding people from buying Wii. It`s CHEAP.

BUT, i don`t see much people who wouldn`t buy Wii for 99$. unless they don`t want low quality graphics and don`t care about controls. =)

Like the Wii price drop, I doubt the PS3 will sell 20 million this year alone, even with big games and price drops.

Well, we will know pretty soon, after one week, if there will be a price drop. =)

The PS2 did have a price drop it's second year in NA of $100, so that equals the price drop the PS3 might have. The PS2 also had a price drop of $20 in NA in it's third year. The difference between the PS2 and PS3: The PS2 was selling better, so it didn't need a price cut. 

And by your logic the PS2 should have sold way more in it's second year because it had the CHEAP price of $199, which is still $50 less than the Wii. 

I don't see why anyone would buy the PS3 at $299, unless they want HD graphics and more limited controls? I don't even get where you are going with that second line about Wii at $99.

We will know after a week if the PS3 gets a price drop. We won't know if that'll help it [much].