By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Worst Moves in History

brendude13 said:
AndrewWK said:
brendude13 said:

Getting rid of all their IPs from the PS1 days. Playstation needs its own "Mario" more than ever now, but anything that came close to that status like Crash or Spyro was sold off.

It was never sold off. Sony never owned those IP´s -.-

They were developed by 1st party devs, so I assumed that SONY owned those IPs. Either way, SONY still let them both get away.

No they weren't :(

Lol.  I do understand where you're coming from, I've seen a lot of people say this before.  

Naughty Dog are first party now but weren't when they were making Crash; Insomniac have never been first party.

Spyro & Crash were both published by Sony but distributed (and owned) by Universal Interactive.  Universal Interactive = current Activision.  

I doubt there's any amount of money Sony could have paid them for those IP's after the fifth gen.  They were just too popular and valuable.  UI wanted to keep them and milk them for every last penny they were worth (which they did!)

The reason that Spyro & Crash were born was that Sony was new in the business and didn't have the expertise/knowledge/studios to create their own platforming franchises, really.  The only teams they had were Psygnosis, Polyphony, London Studio & 989 Studios (now known as SCE San Diego), who each had their own projects to be dealing with.  They acquired and opened more studios as time went on but to begin with there was a gap, which they filled with this publishing deal they had with Universal.  When that ended, Spyro and Crash were gone.

I think it's easy to say that Sony let them get away, and that may be somewhat true, but in reality I reckon there was very little - if anything - Sony could've done to keep them around.  They didn't make the same mistake with their PS2 franchises in any case.

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
brendude13 said:
AndrewWK said:
brendude13 said:

Getting rid of all their IPs from the PS1 days. Playstation needs its own "Mario" more than ever now, but anything that came close to that status like Crash or Spyro was sold off.

It was never sold off. Sony never owned those IP´s -.-

They were developed by 1st party devs, so I assumed that SONY owned those IPs. Either way, SONY still let them both get away.

Lol.  I do understand where you're coming from, I've seen a lot of people say this before.  

Naughty Dog are first party now but weren't when they were making Crash; Insomniac have never been first party.

Spyro & Crash were both published by Sony but distributed (and owned) by Universal Interactive.  Universal Interactive = current Activision.  

I doubt there's any amount of money Sony could have paid them for those IP's after the fifth gen.  They were just too popular and valuable.  UI wanted to keep them and milk them for every last penny they were worth (which they did!)

The reason that Spyro & Crash were born was that Sony was new in the business and didn't have the expertise/knowledge/studios to create their own platforming franchises, really.  The only teams they had were Psygnosis, Polyphony, London Studio & 989 Studios (now known as SCE San Diego), who each had their own projects to be dealing with.  They acquired and opened more studios as time went on but to begin with there was a gap, which they filled with this publishing deal they had with Universal.  When that ended, Spyro and Crash were gone.

I think it's easy to say that Sony let them get away, and that may be somewhat true, but in reality I reckon there was very little - if anything - Sony could've done to keep them around.  They didn't make the same mistake with their PS2 franchises in any case.

Sony was rolling in the dough during PS2 and could have easily bought them out after the sales started to slump and revitalized them

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

platformmaster918 said:

Sony was rolling in the dough during PS2 and could have easily bought them out after the sales started to slump and revitalized them

Why would they want to do that?  The damage was already done.  They could spend years and lots of $$$ rebuilding confidence in those franchises or just carry on with the new franchises they were already making.

Besides, Activision may not have wanted to sell them at all.  It's not like they needed the money.  Better to sit on a franchise in case you can revitalise it yourself one day (i.e. Skylanders) than sell it while it's worth bugger all.

not including rumble beginning of the gen and calling rumble a last gen feature compared to sixaxis lol look at how many use sixaxis in the past 3 years

creating a weak console for 3rd partys 3 gens in a row now, idc what ND and SM can do with the ps3 the fact is they release a handfull of games per gen while the rest of the mainstream games are inferior to the competition

not going out of there way to keep 3rd party exclusive games from 5th and 6th gen imo is the worst can not picture MS being where they are today w/o alot of 3rd party games that are now multi

Play Me

Kresnik said:
platformmaster918 said:

Why would they want to do that?  The damage was already done.  They could spend years and lots of $$$ rebuilding confidence in those franchises or just carry on with the new franchises they were already making.

Besides, Activision may not have wanted to sell them at all.  It's not like they needed the money.  Better to sit on a franchise in case you can revitalise it yourself one day (i.e. Skylanders) than sell it while it's worth bugger all.

make it good and advertise that it comes from a good developer and the people will come especially with a franchise with millions of fans that are dying for a true successor.  Superman returns, superman 3, and superman 4 sucked.  What do they do with Man of Steel?  "From the director of the dark Knight trilogy"  What could Sony do with Crash?  "From the creators of Uncharted, Jak and Daxter, and the Last of Us".  Or if they had MM do it "From the creators of Littlebigplanet" or if they had Suckerpunch do it "from the creators of Infamous and Sly Cooper".  Easy enough to get a million or two to check it out and then word of mouth will take care of the rest if it is good.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network
Mmmfishtacos said:
AndrewWK said:

So just because I criticize dumb moves you think I am PS3 hater? I have bought the first PS3 model yes I mean the fat one. And games like God of War, Uncharted Gran tourismo and many many more made me proud to have a device like this. I am proud to see Sony investing in new IP´s like Pupeteer altough I am not into Jump ´n Runs. But lately Sony has done a few things that really enrage me. Like Move(copying Nintendo big times) PSABR( same as Move) and raping Kratos with this new God of War game. You may think whatever you want I don´t give a shit. Maybe you should try to look at it realisticly and not trough some pink beergoogles

Hows this for realistic, comparing the game with Heavenly sword, which is now over 1.5 million. It took the game 10 weeks to reach .5 million. In 3 weeks PASBR did half of that going against halo and call of duty and during the hype of a console release.And you really think it wont hit a million?

Second, Move wasn't a copy of the wii, Video had been show way before we knew what a wii was showing off the controller. It was released in reaction to the wii? yes. Besides Sony Did motion before anyone with the eye toy. All they did was expand on it, with nearly 15 million sold i can't say it was a failure and it made them money. PSABR is just a game that many make comparisons to Smash which is the wrong thing to do because the games play completely different. What's wrong with another company doing a mascot brawler, it's like like the first of its kind, or even a kart racer. Just because Nintendo did it no one else can? Please, they have done so much good this gen but people like to hang on little things like these.

Holy freaking fuck did you even read my full post. Of course they did some of the greatest things in this gen, they released Uncharted for instance gave us free online MP and made the best console of this generation that is without a doubt. But they did some stupid things as well and thats what you seem to deny.

If Havenly Sword was such a big success why didn´t we see a sequel? And whoever sees PSABR will think about Smash Bros. first. My cousin even calls it Playstation Smash Bros. because he thinks the original name is too stupid. If Sony really would have the mascotts Nintendo has then I would be perfectly fine with a Playstation Smash Bros and it would be a huge success. But obviously they haven´t except of Kratos maybe. No matter how much I love Nathan Drake he isn´t as unique as Kratos I mean he is just another Dude. And same goes for Karting. The only fun racer that can compete against Mario Cart is Sega All Stars carting (which is awesome btw.).

And another thing about the Havenly Sword PSABR comparison. Havenly Sword was a launch title or got released very soon after the PS3 launch. If the rumours are right then we will see a PS4 in 2013 or 2014 and PSABR released this yearso there is not much time left. But about that we shall see, I doubt it will surpass the 1mill but I was wrong once or twice.

PS3 'S 600 dollar price tag. Not enough ram(all home systems). Bad triggers on PS3(all my controllers break). Taking away features on updated(?) models of the PS3.

Go Team Venture! I still don't get the Wii, PS Move,  and Kinect.

Kresnik said:
brendude13 said:

Derp. Sorry, I was confusing Insomniac for another developer, and I didn't know that Naughty Dog wasn't 1st party back then. Makes sense now.

ps3-sales! said:
guiduc said:

Vita.
PSP Go.
PSABR which is a big slap in the face saleswise while the first Super Smash Bros sold quite well.

Wonderbook is the biggest failure. Really, Sony?

The vita is only a fail if you're comparing sales to the psp and 3ds. As far as the hardware goes, the vita is probably the most impressive handheld gaming device ever assembled. Hopfully software picks up next year and it gets back on track with a major price cut. Remember, the 3ds struggled just as much when it launched because of the same problems (price and no software)

Nothing much to say about PSP Go. Poor exucution, silly idea in general, just, fail....

PSABR is a fun game. Sales wise? It had pretty decent hype, and yes, it didn't deliver on that hype sales wise. Something tells me it'll have decent legs though. And SSB was VERY inovative for it's time, which is why it sold well. 

Wonderbook has great potential, but there isn't a game in it whatsoever. I do like the book idea, but only as maybe an intro to an interactive story and such. As it is, Wonderbook is just a waste of money.

I meant saleswise for Vita, of course. Even if 3DS struggled, for now there's seem to be no support at all for poor Vita :'(

Worst moves:

- Playstation 3
- PS Move
- PSPGo
- PS Vita
- BetaMax
- MiniDisc
- SonyEricsson

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...