By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Lets look at gun control as oppose to the top reason, income inequality.

What do you think is the top reason for gun violence?

Income inequality. 21 29.58%

Gun control. 16 22.54%

everyone should own a gun. 11 15.49%

These chicken fingers are good. 19 26.76%

Total:67
spaceguy said:
Marks said:
I'd love a world without guns, but since that won't happen anytime soon, I'd rather more good law-abiding citizens have guns so they can defend themselves from the law-ignoring citizens with guns.

I agree but would want more testing to see who is mentally able to own a gun. Gun control is always taken to, "there going to take our guns". No thats not what any one is saying. The NRA fear tactics have worked and brain washed people into thinking this right off the bat. A big portion of the guns used in chicago street crime are bought in stores in the suburbs and most guns can't be traced. So I would have to say that a majority of guns are sold with out question. We need better regulation to not sell to the criminals. So this seems to not enter people's minds. We legally sell the guns to criminals. So why is this happening? We should be making it harder for them to get and effectively only allowing the good law-abiding citizens to own them.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-08-27/news/ct-met-gun-trace-study-20120827_1_suburban-gun-shops-gun-laws-gun-violence

The thing I have noticed about gun control is that it starts out as "lets ban military assault weapons" and eventually becomes "lets take away rifles from farmers" ...

In Canada there were controls on handguns and automatic weapons for decades, but a mass shooting involving an illegal assault rifle was used to create a long gun registry of rifles and shotguns. Well intentioned morons are trying to ban all guns, they're just doing it over decades ...

Around the Network

anyone here from northern ireland???? i wanna hug you.. whoever you are

HappySqurriel said:
spaceguy said:
Marks said:
I'd love a world without guns, but since that won't happen anytime soon, I'd rather more good law-abiding citizens have guns so they can defend themselves from the law-ignoring citizens with guns.

I agree but would want more testing to see who is mentally able to own a gun. Gun control is always taken to, "there going to take our guns". No thats not what any one is saying. The NRA fear tactics have worked and brain washed people into thinking this right off the bat. A big portion of the guns used in chicago street crime are bought in stores in the suburbs and most guns can't be traced. So I would have to say that a majority of guns are sold with out question. We need better regulation to not sell to the criminals. So this seems to not enter people's minds. We legally sell the guns to criminals. So why is this happening? We should be making it harder for them to get and effectively only allowing the good law-abiding citizens to own them.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-08-27/news/ct-met-gun-trace-study-20120827_1_suburban-gun-shops-gun-laws-gun-violence

The thing I have noticed about gun control is that it starts out as "lets ban military assault weapons" and eventually becomes "lets take away rifles from farmers" ...

In Canada there were controls on handguns and automatic weapons for decades, but a mass shooting involving an illegal assault rifle was used to create a long gun registry of rifles and shotguns. Well intentioned morons are trying to ban all guns, they're just doing it over decades ...

Canada is a different story. We will never get rid of our guns. The point being lets just be adults and realize some people don't deserve the right to own one. As I said before the colorado shooter wasn't even fit enough to go onto the college campus, yet the gun store had no way to know this and sold him guns any way.

JoeTheBro said:
Guns aren't the problem. People are the problem. Does anyone else think we should work on making people not want to kill instead of just making it harder? If I wanted to go on a killing spree (I don't) laws would only slow me down, not stop me.

Good post, I agree completely with this. 

Even if gun control was somehow successful in stopping the percentage of shootings done that are with legally obtained guns...it's not like violence in general will cease. There will still be shootings with illegal weapons, and the people planning these assaults will find some other weapon like a knife, baseball bat, or if they're smart enough and have the means maybe even a homemade explosive...which would be worse in a school setting than a gun. 

it's gun control...plenty of nations have huge inequality but nothing like the same level of gun crime, doesn't take a genius to add 1 and 1 and get 2.

Around the Network

I don't think any of those reasons are the real cause
the end.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

RoryGamesFree said:
it's gun control...plenty of nations have huge inequality but nothing like the same level of gun crime, doesn't take a genius to add 1 and 1 and get 2.

I think you underestimate income inequality in the US.  Additionally, gun crime is a meaningless statistic.  Total crime, or total homicides, that's different.  (Parts of Africa of course shows the folly of looking only at gini coffiecent.  Far more equality but so what.)

That said... Homicide rates

Kasz216 said:
RoryGamesFree said:

I think you underestimate income inequality in the US.  Additionally, gun crime is a meaningless statistic.  Total crime, or total homicides, that's different.  (Parts of Africa of course shows the folly of looking only at gini coffiecent.  Far more equality but so what.)

yeah, have fun shooting people yokel.

Kasz216 said:
RoryGamesFree said:

EDIT: Nevermind, ignore this

People like chicken fingers. LOL. However more people would want gun control or income inequality to be fixed rather then give everyone a gun. Not a lot of votes but that is where it is at now.