By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you think Retro is doing?

Soleron said:
ECM said:
Soleron said:
I'm hoping Prime 4, reverting as much of Prime 3 and Other M as possible (story focus, live characters alongside Samus, multiple planets, linearity, motion control).

But I no longer believe Retro is capable of making Prime 1 again, after the disappointment of Prime 3 and DKCR.

Considering I thought MP3 crushed Metroid Prime and DKCR is the DKC game*, I'm going to have to strenuously disagree with this sentiment and hope that Retro 'disappoints' like that again.

*Yes, played them all as they came out.

Talking on MP3 specifically, I felt it was a lot more mainstream shooter than Prime. "Space marines say fly here and shoot alien monster". Prime was hardly a shooter at all, more of a puzzle/exploration game. The sad part for me is that there are lots of games like Prime 3 but only one Prime. Also can we agree the soundtrack to both of those was far inferior. "Tallon Overworld" or "Sanctuary Fortress" vs DKCR's non-remixes or "Bryyo".

I agree that Prime 3 is the "worst" of the trilogy, but it's still an amazing game imo. I also agree with you that there is too much dialog in the game, the Prime series doesn't need it.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network

I think the worst option possible is a new Star Fox. I love Star Fox games, but they´re short, too short.

Soleron said:
ECM said:
Soleron said:
I'm hoping Prime 4, reverting as much of Prime 3 and Other M as possible (story focus, live characters alongside Samus, multiple planets, linearity, motion control).

But I no longer believe Retro is capable of making Prime 1 again, after the disappointment of Prime 3 and DKCR.

Considering I thought MP3 crushed Metroid Prime and DKCR is the DKC game*, I'm going to have to strenuously disagree with this sentiment and hope that Retro 'disappoints' like that again.

*Yes, played them all as they came out.

Talking on MP3 specifically, I felt it was a lot more mainstream shooter than Prime. "Space marines say fly here and shoot alien monster". Prime was hardly a shooter at all, more of a puzzle/exploration game. The sad part for me is that there are lots of games like Prime 3 but only one Prime. Also can we agree the soundtrack to both of those was far inferior. "Tallon Overworld" or "Sanctuary Fortress" vs DKCR's non-remixes or "Bryyo".

I agree with you on Prime 3. It takes forever before the exploration aspect really kicks in, though I remember the puzzles and boss battles being good (though the final boss sucked). The soundtrack has its moments (Skytown, Rundas Battle), but had more of an orchestral approach, which is far less unique.

No problems with DKCR though. I love the "Life in the Mines" remix/cover/whatever. To me, that's the epitome of perfectly preserved nostagia. Oh, and the level design was creative and challenging. Nothing is more important to me than level design.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Alien vs. Predator 2 2D: Requiem 2

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

An Epic Star Fox game

Around the Network

My guess is Star Fox.

Iwata tried to get Sakurai to do Star Fox or Kid Icarus and he took Kid Icarus. But it shows that he's been looking for a studio to reboot Star Fox.

Retro has had success bringing back Donkey Kong Country, now presumbly I think DKC has moved on to maybe NST in Seattle. But now Nintendo probably feels comfortable they can make more successful DKC games because Retro brought it back with a very high quality.

So perhaps Nintendo's thinking is Retro can make Star Fox relevant again too.

Chances are it's either a new Metroid or DKC, but I guess it's more likely a Star Fox game, and the smallest possibility would be a new IP or a Zelda...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

a co op star fox game so two people with game pads can defeat andross and follow their way across space once again in a true story starfox game. Along side with a heavy online multyplayer where you can use your picture of you as your avatar including ground combat/air and tank battles in the maps like in star fox 64 ffa and team based.

would be pretty cool? i think so.

but also Prime 4 is likely.

WII U // PC // 3ds XL // VITA

Didn't they already say Retro isn't making any new Metroid game somewhere?

My guess is StarFox though, which would be awesome, because it's the most likely guess. F-Zero is out because Miyamoto didn't want another of those, Zelda is out because that's still exclusively with the Zelda team and Donkey Kong is out because I'm still betting the next DKC will be on 3DS.

They could also be making the new Yoshi's Island game which is rumored, but I doubt it because that wouldn't be 'hardcore' enough for the image of the studio.

S.Peelman said:

Didn't they already say Retro isn't making any new Metroid game somewhere?

IIRC Retro said they were "tired" of working on the Metroid franchise. There's been 2 games since Prime 3 so maybe they got the rest they needed. 

Nintendo and PC gamer