By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - This is why I don't like debating religion

So you're not actually talking about debating religion, or God for that matter. You're talking about debating a specific interpretation of the Bible as expressed in certain branches of Christianity. And yes, under those conditions I fully agree that debating Christianity-as-interpretted-by-conservative-Christian-elements is pointless.

I'm religious but not Christian, so I can't really relate to any of the points you've made from the religious perspective.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Your problem is that you're arguing for science as a way to argue against religion. Even if you succeed in "proving" science, you've done nothing against religion.

JoeTheBro said:
Your problem is that you're arguing for science as a way to argue against religion. Even if you succeed in "proving" science, you've done nothing against religion.

I have to say that your comment is probably the most intelligent thing I have heard used to explain to someone why using science to argue against religion is moot, or vice versa.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

I think me and you are allot alike when it comes to the conversation,or the debating of religion.

i got to number 7 and said. this guy is awesome. i'd have to be paid millions not to agree.

as for the writing of the bible. it was interpreted by God to Jesus to man who continued to interpret (as they saw fit) it.

well i guess neither of us could debate each other cause we'd agree at least 60% of the time from what i read. i agree with 100%.

no one was given a choice of wether to believe or not to believe in god, as they were brought up learning there is or not.

Toronto Maple leafs + the Kansas city chiefs + Detroit lions + the Browns= sucks lol.

I feel the same as you, but under tied religion not the forms, but the theory of all the gods. the big bang is something i've used in my theory.

"3 – Then they have to prove that there are no contradictions counteracting that statement, which isn't common, since there were plenty of things about Jesus saying you're not supposed to judge and that every man woman and child was created in God's own image, meaning that God made gay people gay."

This I love the most. God (?) Test man to see what bases you'll judge on, giving you a list of things/situations during the course of our lives to see if you will or won't.

God or dog? i'll listen to all points of view, but don't shut me out cause you don't agree. 

Alara317 said:

until then, please keep it to yourself.   

I agree that both sides need to keep it to themselves.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Around the Network

I don't like to just because of one reason, no one listens to anyone. Whenever I try to talk about it with someone they turn the conversation into a argument. 

For those who believe, no proof is necessary.

For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.

JoeTheBro said:

I hope the OP reads this post and understands what it means. Trying to apply the scientific method to matters of faith is folly. It's like trying to solve a math problem with a fish. 

Well said. However, how other people have pointed out, the whole point of religion is to blindly believe that there is a magic man in the skies shitting thunder, lighting and granted wishes a-la genie, hence why people pray for health, for people, and even for monetary reasons.

You cannot argue against something that relies purely on faith. I have thanked my parents plenty of times for not taking religions too seriously. Personally, I don't consider myself anything, but I was born into a catholic family. My parents currently, believe in a god and the reason for faith, but they have never taken us to church consistently. So while I did not have a choice on my religion, my parents did not push one on me, even as a little kid and it will be the same thing I will do with my children, assuming I live long enough to have them. I am not sure if I should consider myself atheist or agnostic or whatever.

To me, there is nothing more unsatisfying than believing in something without needing or having the means to prove my belief. Science gives you a chance of that and I may not be the one to do it, to solve the giant mysteries of life, but I'll be damned if I don't try to find out more about this universe.

I believe religion makes you complacent about being blissfully ignorant, and how can anybody be content with not knowing and doing nothing about it? I'm not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, but I have the capacity to better my knowledge and the only thing stopping me is myself, not a belief which I never chose to believe. I am also fully aware that there are those who are religious and choose to spend their lives finding out more about that religion or others, its origins, etc. I am of course, generally speaking about the most devoted of believers

I applaud you OP. Keep on keeping.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

The existence of God as a concept in and of itself, is pretty useless.  But the, if you get into details, where it matters, so much depends upon context of specific of religion that, if you are an outside, isn't really something you can dive into.  Actually debating the existence of anything is fairly pointless, because having something exist doesn't explain WHAT the prior reaction is supposed to be to the existence.  Like, say you have a Deist God.  Such a God built things and went off and did other stuff.  I find it doubtful such a God would care about worship or anything else.  Any being so disinterested with their creation, is hardly one likely to be wanting praise.  Well, ok, maybe the being is like a player of the Sims who delights and seeing the absurdity of their creation at work.  Maybe they view life as some sort of computer simulation actually, and they tune in, like they are running a screen saver.