By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Vita has outlasted the 3ds

logic56 said:
Izo said:
Very good points. Can't wait to see what a 170 vita can do versus a 170 3DS.

lol Nintendo will only again piss their pants and drop the price to $88

seems legit.. how very logic56cal

Around the Network

This thread is an odd one and was only created in mind to have a debate between Ninty fans and Sony. Whenever one creates a thread, one has to support his or her arguments with facts and sources - none are provided. Furthermore, all the facts brought forth are false.

The truth is as follows:

1. Sony did get a temporary price cut, in Europe - http://n4g.com/news/1111124/playstation-vita-gets-a-significant-price-drop-after-all
2. Sony cannot bring down the price further down due to it not having enough cash to offset the losses. It has more debt than available liquidity - http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/22/us-sony-panasonic-ratings-idUSBRE8AL07B20121122
3. The Vita's future is grim as third parties are not flocking to the console. They are going to the 3DS due to the large userbase and lower software costs - http://www.gamesradar.com/sony-surprised-lack-3rd-party-vita-support-and-says-price-drop-will-have-wait-until-next-year/

Hence, although the Vita's hardware capabilities are impressive, this feat of 'surviving' is nothing impressive. Sony is surely disappointed regardless if they say it is selling admirably.

If 3DS (Talking about the regular one) was $88 then 2014 we will see 35-40mil Sold in just a year lol!!! They be losing money but god damn just imagine with good software!!! 200mil Life time!!!

@buck
is that really a prediction? by definition, yes. But does it involve any actual thought or reasonong? no.

a prediction involves some level of possibility, simply looking at a trend and doing math is not a prediction, because it doesn't account for variables.

$170 for Vita? That's great! I really want to play uncharted golden abys, ragnarok, and soul sacrifice.
March next year I will buy Vita, no doubt about it.

Around the Network

It would help Sony to get more people buying the Vita at the current price, however, placing the Vita at a lower price would get more people to buy it and then they would turn around and buy games/memory cards (which should also see a price reduction or at least give the new buyers a go at PlayStation Plus (cloud storage).

But there needs to be a bundle with an easy to access game (LittleBigPlanet PS Vita or PlayStation All-Stars) that remains bundled, with a price drop. With PS+ people wouldn't need a memory card unless they intended on downloading games. In which case generates more money for Sony.

But again it would need a massive advertising campaign to reinvigorate the masses to buy the product. Simply having a price cut with no marketing won't do much.

@tridrakious

The Vita sold well(even though its holiday) with the bundle at $200. If Sony drop the price down to that permanently they will do fine, but IMO Sony wont Drop down so much as to $170!

Im only asking but is Sony really that bad Finacially? Because i dont know why they didn't already do it(price cut)?

From this post and some of your others attempting to defend poor Sony sales I can tell that you're a pretty big sony fanboy. The 3ds is outselling the vita 5 to 1 and has outsold it 7 to 1 overall,you need to stop kissing sony's ass and realize that the vita is a complete failure. Sony fans were worried that the 3ds vs vita would be like psp vs DS, but it isn't, it's like ps2 vs dreamcast. A price cut may help the vita sell more but no price cut is going to help it sell 3 times what it's selling now, let alone 5 times to beat the 3ds. Nintendo hasn't even use very many big exclusives yet, once they start rolling out the Zelda's and more Mario's and pokemon 6 the vita will be left in the dust even more, Sony already used uncharted, their biggest exclusive(and it didn't even sell that great) and the cod game(biggest 3rd party game) failed. All Sony has thats major left to use is god of war, Nintendo has exclusives to spare. The future of the vita is dark.

-this post was moderated by amp316 (warning)

theprof00 said:
As I was saying, and to address those "quoting" me on saying this is a great success, please show me where I'm actually quoted as saying it. If not, feel free to reread the OP and come to terms with the fact that all I'm saying is that vita was able to hold out. Stop making accusations like "oh they would have dropped the price" etc etc.

You did say it was a success. The word "outlasted" literally means beat. Your title says the Vita has proved itself superior to the 3DS. Call it a simple case of not knowing what a word means on your part, but the proof is right there. If not, the title you chose is nothing more than a simple case of baiting people who disagree with you into an argument. Follow that with you going on the offensive when people call you out on your clearly asinine topic and we have ourselves a bad case of the trolls... or an even worse case of being delusional.

While the vita is a nice piece of hardware with good games available... the sales numbers have been anything but good. Sony is not in a good financial position, and a loss leader is not what they need.

I hope things improve for them, but I don't think the odds are good.

Prediction, a new CEO at Sony cuts the system next year in favour of smart phone partnerships as a lower risk strategy. (hey I made a prediction) Not on the quality of the hardware, just the financial position of the company. It is the shareholders not the fans who get the ear of the CEO.