By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox 720 & PS4 codenames revealed, Microsoft’s ‘Oban’ chip still delayed – rumour

VG247

Xbox 720, Xbox Next, PS4, the Orbis – whatever you want to call Microsoft and Sony’s next-gen formats – it’s no secret they have internal codenames at their respective companies. Fresh reports have shed light on what those codenames are, where their components are being produced, and what lies under the hood. Get the rumours below.

SemiAccurate reports – via supposedly internal sources – that Microsoft’s next console will run on an AMD chip codenamed ‘Oban’, which was rumoured to go into mass production before the end of 2012. However, the same site also reported onproblems with the chip’s manufacturing with one source calling the component quality ‘painfully low’. The issue is rumoured to have cause production delays.

The site also claims that its inside sources are now referring to Xbox 720 as ‘Kryptos’, rather than the much-touted ‘Durango’ moniker that is apparently used internally at Microsoft.

PS4′s internal codename is ‘Thebes’ claim the site’s sources, and states that AMD is also supplying its base chip. This ties in to what our own sources told us back in October. You can read our full, rather massive report on the issue here.

The report added that the PS4 AMD chip will likely be manufactured at Global Foundries or IBM, and will enter production after Microsoft’s Oban chip. The site suggests PS4 will launch Spring or Autumn 2014. The belated release could be likely, given Sony’s Shuhei Yoshida’s recent comments, in which he deemed it too early to start talking about PS4.

Around the Network

damn I thought I'd have more rewarding mews than that.... this is just more frustrating info that don't tell us anything beside that they have maybe change the code name lol :D grrrr

Well within the next six months we will see when 720 and PS4 are releasing (hopefully).

However, the same site also reported onproblems with the chip’s manufacturing with one source calling the component quality ‘painfully low’. The issue is rumoured to have cause production delays.

RROD again?

The site suggests PS4 will launch Spring or Autumn 2014.

Good news if true.

The name of the PS4 project is Thebes. As you might have guessed, other than it being an AMD CPU and GPU, we don’t have much more specific details. It is said to be a 28nm part, likely fabbed at Global Foundries or IBM for the first run, and out after Oban. That would most likely be the spring of 2014, but it could be fall of that year too.

I don't like the CPU + GPU together from AMD... seems too weak. But I like the 28nm talk .

ethomaz said:
However, the same site also reported onproblems with the chip’s manufacturing with one source calling the component quality ‘painfully low’. The issue is rumoured to have cause production delays.

RROD again?

Good news if true.

The name of the PS4 project is Thebes. As you might have guessed, other than it being an AMD CPU and GPU, we don’t have much more specific details. It is said to be a 28nm part, likely fabbed at Global Foundries or IBM for the first run, and out after Oban. That would most likely be the spring of 2014, but it could be fall of that year too.

I don't like the CPU + GPU together from AMD... seems too weak. But I like the 28nm talk .

why is PS4 releasing later a good thing?

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

This doesn't sound too good for MS or Sony... Have SemiAccurate a good track Record regarding rumors?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

ethomaz said:

RROD again?

Good news if true.

Microsoft wouldnt make that massive mistake twice.

Spring would be fine for Sony. Autumn might be a problem. People can wait a few months but a year lets your opposition establish a customer base. Obviously it's nowhere near a disaster, the PS3 proved that, but it's not exactly optimal, either.

platformmaster918 said:

Both delay is good... a new gen next year is too early in my opinion... 2014 is a better year for that.

November 2014 is te best time for the new gen but that's just my opinion... so I'm rooting for delays.

ethomaz said:

platformmaster918 said:

Both delay is good... a new gen next year is too early in my opinion... 2014 is a better year for that.

November 2014 is te best time for the new gen but that's just my opinion... so I'm rooting for delays.

I guess I can understand that, but if they make a big leap by including BC as an add-on and no tablet controllers or Kinect like motion thing then I would like PS4 to come out next year.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers