By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - German Law to Blame For 18+ Rated Wii U Content Block In Europe

Viper1 said:
crissindahouse said:
Viper1 said:

They are sufficient but Germany doen't like leaving those kinds of things up to parents.  

This law comes from the "Federal Department for Media Harmful to Young Persons.  Yep, that's a real department in Germany.

and i don't really now what that department is you are talking about but in german it is the "federal department for family, seniors and youth"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Department_for_Media_Harmful_to_Young_Persons

yeah after a while i knew what you meant and i changed my post, those are to control it but not those who made the law. (at least i don't think so)

no clue but isn't there a department or agency in usa which has youth protection as task? how is that called? i think all those departments sound stupid^^

but the rest still stands, most parents are useless for media protection.

Around the Network

That department should have been around in 1939. World war 2 could have been avoided.

Sounds like Nintendo just needs to spend more money on lawyers then figure out the best course of action, I don't personally think it's a big deal TBH since you can still get the game in stores, the problem will lie in Indie games that are rated M, which is thankfully not too many.

crissindahouse said:
Viper1 said:
crissindahouse said:
Viper1 said:

They are sufficient but Germany doen't like leaving those kinds of things up to parents.  

This law comes from the "Federal Department for Media Harmful to Young Persons.  Yep, that's a real department in Germany.

and i don't really now what that department is you are talking about but in german it is the "federal department for family, seniors and youth"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Department_for_Media_Harmful_to_Young_Persons

yeah after a while i knew what you meant and i changed my post, those are to control it but not those who made the law. (at least i don't think so)

no clue but isn't there something in usa which has youth protection as task? how is that called? i think all those departments sound stupid^^

but the rest still stands, most parents are useless for media protection.

Yes, but not one specifically dedicated to fighting the effects of media. I believe that the CPS (Child Protective Services) are primarily concerned with preventing child abuse and neglect.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

crissindahouse said:

no clue but isn't there something in usa which has youth protection as task? how is that called? i think all those departments sound stupid^^

The closest thing we have to that department is the Federal Communications Commission which regulates pretty much all things communications which includes media and services.  It doesn't have a subsection dedicated to just children.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
crissindahouse said:

The closest thing we have to that department is the Federal Communications Commission which regulates pretty much all things communications which includes media and services.  It doesn't have a subsection dedicated to just children.

yeah ok, i just think the name sounds really stupid in english. in german it's the "bundesprüfstelle für jugendgefährdende medien" which doesn't sound worse in german as something like federal communications commission in english.

This is the sort of thing you're supposed to clear out before launch, and before your precious third partys' games are potentially affected. Fix it Nintendo!

Viper1 said:

I think you may have mised something.

Nintendo of Europe is bound by German law because it is headquartered there so all its operations in an online capacity are restricted to German law.

Other companies are not HQ'd there so the German law only applies to their sales in Germany.

Yeah, I'm still a bit confused. So...

1) Company A: Based in Germany, has to follow German laws for every country.

2) Company B: Based in UK, only has to follow German laws in Germany.

I don't understand that. Why do they have to follow German laws for distribution outside Germany? In the first scenario, it seems like the only law that matters is Germany's, since it's upheld then across all of EU. In the second example, only German laws are enforced in Germany, which makes sense.

wfz said:
Viper1 said:

I think you may have mised something.

Nintendo of Europe is bound by German law because it is headquartered there so all its operations in an online capacity are restricted to German law.

Other companies are not HQ'd there so the German law only applies to their sales in Germany.

Yeah, I'm still a bit confused. So...

1) Company A: Based in Germany, has to follow German laws for every country.

2) Company B: Based in UK, only has to follow German laws in Germany.

I don't understand that. Why do they have to follow German laws for distribution outside Germany? In the first scenario, it seems like the only law that matters is Germany's, since it's upheld then across all of EU. In the second example, only German laws are enforced in Germany, which makes sense.

i think the only reason for the whole problem could be that you always have to follow the stricter law.

so, uk company in germany has to follow german law in germany because it's stricter as uk law. german company in uk has to follow german law even in uk for the same reason, german law is stricter for that.

that could be an european agreement or something.

there should be still ways because hundreds of other companies can also give us adult material here without that problem with 11pm.

Nintendo should change Germany's rules then!

*troll face*

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(