By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - German Law to Blame For 18+ Rated Wii U Content Block In Europe

damn you germans
(even though i live in america)

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
Soleron said:
Viper1 said:

It's not a matter of where your servers are located but under what country your company is registered.

They'd have to open a whole new subsidiary in a different European country to bypass this problem.

OK thanks. Opening a company and transferring assets on paper like that can be done fairly easily though?

I can't be certain of that.  I'm also unsure just how broad that German law reaches.   By that I mean would a subsidiary, even based in a different coutnry, still be bound by the German laws of its parent company?   I can't say for sure if it would or not.  If it would still apply, then obviously even opening up shop (eShop that is) in a different country still wouldn't solve the problem. 

I'm pretty certain that Nintendo is looking at all their options.  If a viable solution is there, they will take it.

so why is this only happening now?  was there not a single m-rated game on wii ware?  

either way, nintendo should have recognized the issue earlier and taken action to rectify it.  

OK, just make it a 'subsidiary' of Nintendo Japan. Or is it that once Germany makes a law, any company that employs, sells to, owns, is owned by, is headquartered in, or likes on Facebook any German entity is covered by it?

And as for "Nintendo will look at the options", Nintendo has consistently had the most incompetent EU/NA branches of the three and is one of the worst companies in the world for taking on consumer feedback. They probably don't realise people care about it yet.

wfz said:
Viper1 said:
spurgeonryan said:
I blame Satan.

So then what about Sony and Microsoft and others? Do they do the same rules?

They aren't headquartered in Germany.  That's the problem.    However, they do still have similar restrictions for their German customers.

Soleron said:
OK, so do it in Germany alone and get servers elsewhere in the EU that don't have that restriction.

It's not a matter of where your servers are located but under what country your company is registered.

They'd have to open a whole new subsidiary in a different European country to bypass this problem.

This post makes no sense to me. You just stated:

1) Other companies' actions vary by the law of each nation (which is why companies not HQ'd in Germany still follow German laws for German distribution)

2) The company's actions are based purely on which nation they are HQ'd in (which is why Nintendo has to have the SAME practices across all countries isntead of adapting to each law)

What?

I think you may have mised something.

Nintendo of Europe is bound by German law because it is headquartered there so all its operations in an online capacity are restricted to German law.

Other companies are not HQ'd there so the German law only applies to their sales in Germany.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

kitler53 said:

so why is this only happening now?  was there not a single m-rated game on wii ware?  

either way, nintendo should have recognized the issue earlier and taken action to rectify it.  

I don't think there was any M rated games on WiiWare.  I'd have to look but none come to mind at the moment.

Maybe this is the only action to rectify they can take without moving their entire HQ to another country.  We don't know all the facts and it's wrong of us to make claims to anything based on our little assumptions.

Soleron said:
They probably don't realise people care about it yet.

Now you are just being silly. 

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
kitler53 said:

I don't think there was any M rated games on WiiWare.  I'd have to look but none come to mind at the moment.

Maybe this is the only action to rectify they can take without moving their entire HQ to another country.  We don't know all the facts and it's wrong of us to make claims to anything based on our little assumptions.

well i can cut nintendo a little slack here.  the law is the law no matter how dumb the law it.  but i can't believe that there isn't any way for them to get around this.  if so, there are going to be an awful lot of mad european wiiU owners.

since i'm from germany i seriously don't get the problem.

first of all, why does nintendo do the same in other european countries if they think they have to do that in germany? i mean, with that logic companies with a headquarter in let's say uk wouldn't have to use german law in germany and could do everything as long as it is allowed in uk if it comes to youth protection. i can't really believe they have to do that in uk just because it's the law in germany and they sit in germany because we have that law here to protect our youth right?

then i always thought it's just a rule for tv-stations because they can't show stuff rated 18+ before 11pm which makes sense and is good as it is and i think tv stations in other european countries can't show chainsaw massacre on free tv available for everyone at 3pm can they? but i can go to adult internet sites with the company and their servers in germany to watch adult videos so why can't nintendo do the same?

and even if they have that problem, why don't they do it like sky germany? give the people who want to use this service before 11pm a pin with 4 numbers which they have to type in if they click stuff which is rated 18+. that's what we have here in germany with sky to watch adult movies the whole day.

kitler53 said:

well i can cut nintendo a little slack here.  the law is the law no matter how dumb the law it.  but i can't believe that there isn't any way for them to get around this.  if so, there are going to be an awful lot of mad european wiiU owners.

Agreed.  I do hope that a solution is there and they are working on it.   It simply wouldn't make any sense for them not to.    No company wants to lose sales and you an be certain that NCL is on their ass to work towards a solutiion.

Viper1 said:
kitler53 said:

Agreed.  I do hope that a solution is there and they are working on it.   It simply wouldn't make any sense for them not to.    No company wants to lose sales and you an be certain that NCL is on their ass to work towards a solutiion.

yeah seriously.  i don't know exactly what percentage of content is rated M but enough to take out a pretty decent chunk of sales potential.

KylieDog said:
Viper1 said:
Doesn't matter to the haters. Nintendo is still to blame. Just watch.

Well they are, since Sony/MS only block such content on the german PS Store/XBL store, in the countries where it is fine (pretty much every other) they allow what is allowed.

Just like I said.