By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Are you impressed or not impressed with Wii U sales?

Impressed or not?

Impressed 187 41.01%

Not Impressed 269 58.99%

Total:456

I think this holiday season has shown that people are more interested in buying an iPad than a Gamepad

Multi-purpose devices are beating more specialized devices

PS-Vita which is exceptional hardware is struggling and it looks like Wii U will be struggling next year as well after this good enough start unless they can secure 3rd party support for the various high profile 2013 games

• Tomb Raider
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Dark Souls 2
  • Dead Space 3
  • Remember Me
  • Metal Gear Solid V
  • DmC
  • Dead Island sequel
  • bunch more

Just having Aliens - Colonial Marines as third party port support will not be enough. The exclusives will be nice for those that own the system but wont really increase the user-base which is currently not enough to support exclusives making healthy profits even if the game is solid and tie ratio to console is high (like ZombiU).

Around the Network

I would say sales are okay to decent. Nothing impressive, especially since it launched with a GREAT line-up. COD, AC3, Arkham City, freaking 2D Mario, and even Monster Hunter in Japan. I think the problem is there isn't much demand right now for the Wii U, besides the Nintendo faithful.

Oh and Nintendo fans, can you guys just drop the BS excuse of low supply. That's already been proven wrong. There is enough supply for demand, just not enough demand. Yet, anyway.

Not bad at all, but not impressing, either.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

HappySqurriel said:
Mazty said:

Issue is that over the last year the stocks have taken a 17% dive. Now, you can either cut your loses and sell, or hold on to them and hope stock prices recover, which imo is highly unlikely. A good investor would have sold stock back in 2010. Holding onto Ninty stocks now I would say is a very, very risky gamble. 

An interesting pattern I have seen is that people act completely irrationally when it comes to stocks which is why their investments do so poorly ...

When Apple was approaching $700 people argued with me that it was going to fall in value because Apple was the largest tech company in the world, there market share was about as large as it could be, and they were on a multi-year winning streak; essentially, since Apple was about as big as it could be they would justify an increase in the stock price through some unknown avenue of growth.

In contrast, Nintendo today is being dragged down by hardware losses they took on the 3DS that (probably) will soon be done with, expenses they've taken to launch the Wii U which will (probably) soon be over, and because their sales were simply not unbelieveable; and people are arguing that their stock will continue to fall because there is no way that the next few years will justify an increase in the stock price.

I don't know where the bottom is for Nintendo, and the stock could potentially fall below $10 in the short term, but in 2 years they will likely be turning a profit off of every 3DS and Wii U system sold and selling 100+ Million units of software a year and brining in between $1 and $2 billion in profit a year; and if Sony or Microsoft screw up, or Nintendo releases a popular add-on, Nintendo could be on track to repeating as the leading console of the generation and surpassing the Wii in lifetime hardware and software sales.

This.

I think Nintendo has a better chance to weather unpredictable times. They have always had super strong first party sales that give people reasons to invest in their systems, i.e. in the company itself. I've always seen it as the console you always buy along with the other consoles because you want the games, NOT the hardware.

What I worry about most is maybe a possible looming next gen storm because the industry feels so burnt out compared to how it's been. Feels similar to the PC industry towards it's previous decline. Similar, but not quite the same. I think creativity right now is taking a backseat to new ideas and fresh IPs, and less companies will take risks with the high development costs (graphics mostly to blame probably) when rather than go belly up trying to take a gamble they can just put more resources into other ventures like mobile. Usually you have a few really great games that define the period that are released that suddenly other companies and jumping in from left and right to copy, or at least ride on the wave of 'innovation' to grab some of the market. Nintendo doesn't always try to stay on top, which is what Sony and Xbox will probably try to put their bets on... that's why they've always been reliable business-wise.

I wonder if it's possible if we may see a massive resurgence in handheld gaming. There are a lot of genres that handhelds cater to that many people miss (JRPGs), and then I have to wonder if they end up being the systems that pushing the hardware would be fun to do without it costing an arm and a leg for a developer to do so.

These will be interesting times for the videogaming industry no doubt. Nobody knows how it will go.

BAD Sales maan. 50k is ok-ish, but Nintendo is probably on red-alert, and will most likely 3DS-it with an early price cut (at least in Europe). I'm hoping for U.S.A - $250 for standard, and $300 for deluxe sets by the end of the year.

Around the Network

very impressed....

Same sales unit wise, but more evenly distributed? Impressed.
Same sales unit wise, but steadily climbing? Pleasantly impressed.
same sales but as it is with a steady decine? Not impressed.

I'm not impressed... nor am I impressed. I'm kind of neutral right now.

By the end of the year I'll give you a definite answer.

I'm somewhat impressed by how it's doing compared to the HD twins' launches so far, but the European sales are a bit alarming. Although.. the sales seem to have taken a pretty steep dive last week, so who knows how long it will be before it starts falling behind.

How many has it sold worldwide so far..? A bit daft having a site dedicated to hardware and software sales but having no indication of anything apart from how many it's selling each week.