By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Current vs Last, a Console Sales Story (COMPLETE!)

Final Smash: Should somone one do this at the start of every gen?

yes 65 75.58%

no 3 3.49%

show me the money! 7 8.14%

Total:75
Otakumegane said:
Man Nintendo really screwed up the launch.

You can say THAT again! They screwed up the beginning of 2013 as well..

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

I thought Pikmin 3 would've already been out by now, you can't deny Nintendo seriously led people on to believe that. Glad I wasn't duped (I was duped by Megaman Legends 3, though. Most disappointing system I've ever owned).

It looks like it's bottoming out at between 30,000 and 35,000 (being generous here). If we're to assume it'll sell 40k the rest of it's weeks by March 31st, it STILL won't have sold even 3 million, which they shipped at launch.

Realistically, what I think they'll do is discout Wii U's for a limited time to retailers a week or two before the deadline to hit the 4 million. Unless they show something big in March (they'll certainly try and show something regardless), I see it BARELY selling more than 3 million. Can't see more than 3.2 on the dot under absolute best circumstances.

superchunk said:
February 16th data is up in the OP.

WiiU still flat in the low 30's. No games launched = no increase in sales.

On February 17th the ZombiU bundle was launched in America, it is already reflecting and there was no increase at all? or that will be on next week numbers?

At least the weekly numbers appear to have stabilized allround for all platforms, that's the good news. The bad news is that the Wii U has stabilized at a very low average.

They'll be way off on their estimate, they'll hardly be able to ship any units at all in Q1 for 2013. I simply cannot imagine that Nintendo can be pleased with missing even this revised projection big time and ending up at around 60% of the original figure.

Mummelmann said:
At least the weekly numbers appear to have stabilized allround for all platforms, that's the good news. The bad news is that the Wii U has stabilized at a very low average.

They'll be way off on their estimate, they'll hardly be able to ship any units at all in Q1 for 2013. I simply cannot imagine that Nintendo can be pleased with missing even this revised projection big time and ending up at around 60% of the original figure.

I can't imagine Nintendo will be happy with WiiU's sales.  Shareholders will be out for blood.

My big concern is if sales continue at this level for an extended period (and without any system-seller software due out anytime soon it could be months), the system will be percieved as 'dead' and even when the big games do launch - people will not be willing to purchase a 'dead' console to play one or two great games.  

Around the Network

So even if the WiiU sold zero units in March, it would still be ahead of the 360 launch aligned.

Gamerace said:
Mummelmann said:

I can't imagine Nintendo will be happy with WiiU's sales.  Shareholders will be out for blood.

My big concern is if sales continue at this level for an extended period (and without any system-seller software due out anytime soon it could be months), the system will be percieved as 'dead' and even when the big games do launch - people will not be willing to purchase a 'dead' console to play one or two great games.  

Packing in additional games with the Premium bundle, removing the Basic bundle and offering great deals or even free stuff at the e-store might stem the tide somewhat. They kind of painted themselves into the corner with the costs, they have no leverage with pricing for now, even a 50$ price cut could have made a difference.

You're right though, in the consumer electronics business its all about perception, if your product is deemed to have lots of momentum, it will yield even more sales, sales beget sales, so to speak. Hype and consumer excitement rises with the momentum, the molbile market is the perfect example of this. If these low numbers keep on showing on the charts for another 12-15 weeks, there will be blood, both from would-be customers and investors alike. Historically, the spring and summer months are tough for all consoles unless one has a big hitter to drive sales a bit. The true fate of the Wii U will be revealed around October/November, we'll see how it holds up against the other two that are sure to arrive, how the general outlook of sales will be and, ultimately, what kind of impact the upcoming big hitters will have on the momentum.

Personally though, even if the price is cut before the holidays, I fear that the Wii U could have a decent holiday season but fall right back down below the competition after the season, kind of like it did now and like the Wii did in the past two years. Selling any significant number in Europe also appears to be a challenge ahead of them.

All in all, I'm very excited about a new generation finally having started though, the 7th generation was growing stale and boring from a sales perspective plus, I really can't wait for the whole thing to be over (the 7th gen is my least favourite gen by far)...

flagstaad said:
superchunk said:
February 16th data is up in the OP.

WiiU still flat in the low 30's. No games launched = no increase in sales.

On February 17th the ZombiU bundle was launched in America, it is already reflecting and there was no increase at all? or that will be on next week numbers?

It should be in next weeks numbers if there is any bump.

I have seen a couple ads for it, so who knows. I think they should be heavily advertising it (along with The Walking Dead game) during AMCs broadcasts for The Walking Dead.

This bundle is a great deal really.

superchunk said:

I have seen a couple ads for it, so who knows. I think they should be heavily advertising it (along with The Walking Dead game) during AMCs broadcasts for The Walking Dead.

I know, and is killing that is impossible to get in my country, I have to order it from USA and they only take USA credit card, so I am screw. Curse the day that Nintendo and Amazon started to fight!!!.

flagstaad said:
superchunk said:

I know, and is killing that is impossible to get in my country, I have to order it from USA and they only take USA credit card, so I am screw. Curse the day that Nintendo and Amazon started to fight!!!.

Have you tried setting up some other internet payment system like paypal, etc?