By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pachter: Activision to buy Take-Two, Nintendo becoming "completely irrelevant"

archbrix said:

“I think you're going to see now with the Wii U, notwithstanding its early launch support, nobody's going to support it,” Pachter claimed.

Well, if the behind the scenes rumors we heard last week about next gen/E3 are true in part, Nintendo has a particular, "partnership that will cause huge shocks when it’s announced even worse than Bayonetta 2".  Seeing as how the WiiU is set to dominate the console space in Japan (my opinion) and that controller is a perfect fit for RPGs...

Let's just say that Pachter is being presumptuous (big surprise, I know) with his statement of nobody supporting WiiU.

Wii U is a pefect console match for RPG's, and MMO's AND strategy games! I don't think that any console have had this kind of possebilities before. Wii U could, in theory, be able to play any genre much better than any console before it - I just hope that developrs sees this and use it! That controller could be so awesome.

I hope at least a few of those rumors we heard is true and that Nintendo will publish a ton of games developed by other studios, just like Bayo2!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
ninetailschris said:
KylieDog said:
__XBrawlX__ said:
For a frame of reference, how often exactly has Pachter been right about anything? Seriously I always see stuff by this guy, and I never bother to look back to see if he's right.

Quite often, though Nintendo fans usually focus on his Wii predictions which for the first 3-4 years were usually 'It is a fad and will lose steam' or 'WiiHD is needed/coming'.

Actual no.

i know a guy who has a list of quotes from him and him being wrong but stuff not related to wii.

Mind posting that list?! :D

So if Activision charges for the multiplayer aspect of the new Bungie game what happens to Xbox Live players who already pay for multiplayer? they pay twice? hahahahaha NO!

If Activision does this (they won't) the game will flop guaranteed.

One thing that caught my eye; if PS720 is released with 2TB HDD, wouldn't that drive up the price point? And if they wanna be priced around $400, wouldn't they have to sacrifice some power to reach that goal?

DanneSandin said:
ninetailschris said:
KylieDog said:
__XBrawlX__ said:
For a frame of reference, how often exactly has Pachter been right about anything? Seriously I always see stuff by this guy, and I never bother to look back to see if he's right.

Quite often, though Nintendo fans usually focus on his Wii predictions which for the first 3-4 years were usually 'It is a fad and will lose steam' or 'WiiHD is needed/coming'.

Actual no.

i know a guy who has a list of quotes from him and him being wrong but stuff not related to wii.

The Pachter Predictions: Right or Wrong?

Kinect and Move:

Feb 2010: “Project Natal” (Kinect) will cost $50. “Very surprised if it’s more than $79,” “hard to envision” at $150.
Wrong: it was $150.

Feb 2010: Natal will outsell Sony’s “Arc” (PS Move) 5 to 1.
Correct: based on how bundles of the two systems sold.

Miscellaneous

Oct. 2008: Pachter rates EA a “strong buy,” but does say management is doing a poor job.
Wrong: In December of 2008 EA Stock dropped 25% in two days.

November 2008: Assassin’s Creed 2 will be set in the 17th Century. 
Wrong by 200 years; it was in the 15 Century

Dec 2008: Says core gamers will keep buying games in same numbers, “have no clue we are in a recession.”
Unclear, since even though the game industry was hit by the recession, I can’t find figures specific to core gamer purchases.

March 2009: This is the “last generation of consoles.” There will be no new consoles ever (or at least for a very long time) from Microsoft and Sony, though Nintendo may put out a Wii HD with more storage.
Wrong: Nintendo skipped the Wii HD and went straight to a new, more powerful console with a new control system, known as the Wii U, and even though Pachter denies it’s a next-gen console, it’s certainly not just a Wii HD. Meanwhile, Microsoft and Sony are reportedly both working on new consoles that are expected to launch in 2013 or 2014.

Subscription Fees:

Oct 2009: Xbox Live to possibly double in cost in next few years.
Unknown: The advantage of saying up to a certain amount is, if it’s less, you still can claim you’re right. So the $10 yearly raise in 2010 means Pachter was right in saying the price would go up. And since he gave himself “a few years,’ it could go up again, although the $100 he suggested still seems far off.

Sept. 2010: Predicts Microsoft will soon introduce a $100 “platinum” Xbox live membership 
Wrong: We’re still waiting on that.

Jul 2010: Activision will find way to charge for Call of Duty online play
Correct: It’s called Call of Duty Elite.

Price Cuts:

July 2007: 360 Elite will drop from $479 to $399.
Partially Correct: In August 2007, Elite dropped to $449. But it didn’t reach $400 until around a year after that.

Jan 2009: Predicts PS3 price drop in April; 80 GB PS3 will go from $399 to $299.
Fairly Correct: Off by a few months.

Jun 2010: No price cut coming for PS3.
Correct.

Oct. 2010: 360 bundled with Kinect will drop by up to $50 early in 2011
Probably Correct: You know what, it’s really hard to figure out price cuts via Google. But you can get a Kinect bundle for Pachter’s predicted price of $300 now, so my best guess is he was right.

Software Sales:

Nov 2007: Guitar Hero III will generate half billion in fiscal year

Mar 2008: Pachter predicts GTA4 will sell well
Correct, I assume. This one is so obvious I’m not even research it.

Jul 2009: Take 2 will “dominate” 2010.

Grand Theft Auto 5:

March 2009: Next Grand Theft Auto game will come out in 2010, outsell GTA:IV.
Jul 2009: Next GTA game to come out by 2011. 
Dec 2010: Next GTA game to come out by 2012. 
Wrong: In late November, 2011 Rockstar announced GTA:V was in “full development,” but as of the fall of 2012 they still haven't announced a release date.

The PS3/360 Race:

Jan 2009: PS3 won’t catch up to 360 in U.S. until 2014. 
Jun 2009: Sony will push Microsoft into third place by 2015 (with Wii still on top, apparently)
He usually right with predictions a idiot could make but.... Big ones are usual misses.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

Around the Network
ninetailschris said:
DanneSandin said:
ninetailschris said:
KylieDog said:
__XBrawlX__ said:

Actual no.

[predictions}

I wanted to add a couple more, if you don't mind.

2007:

"We expect the dominant console at the end of the next cycle to be Sony PlayStation 3, primarily due to our assessment that Sony will win the high definition DVD format war. Ultimately, we see Sony winning the console war with 36% of the market, with Nintendo capturing second place at 34% and Microsoft finishing third at 30%."

2005:

"I don't think there are four million people in the world who really want to play online games every month. World of Warcraft is such an exception. I frankly think it's the buzz factor, and eventually it will come back to the mean, maybe a million subscribers. It may continue to grow in China, but not in Europe or the U.S. We don't need the imaginary outlet to feel a sense of accomplishment here. It just doesn't work in the U.S. It just doesn't make any sense."

ninetailschris said:
DanneSandin said:
ninetailschris said:
KylieDog said:
__XBrawlX__ said:

Actual no.

Kinect and Move:

Feb 2010: “Project Natal” (Kinect) will cost $50. “Very surprised if it’s more than $79,” “hard to envision” at $150.
Wrong: it was $150.

Feb 2010: Natal will outsell Sony’s “Arc” (PS Move) 5 to 1.
Correct: based on how bundles of the two systems sold.

Miscellaneous

Oct. 2008: Pachter rates EA a “strong buy,” but does say management is doing a poor job.
Wrong: In December of 2008 EA Stock dropped 25% in two days.

November 2008: Assassin’s Creed 2 will be set in the 17th Century. 
Wrong by 200 years; it was in the 15 Century

Dec 2008: Says core gamers will keep buying games in same numbers, “have no clue we are in a recession.”
Unclear, since even though the game industry was hit by the recession, I can’t find figures specific to core gamer purchases.

March 2009: This is the “last generation of consoles.” There will be no new consoles ever (or at least for a very long time) from Microsoft and Sony, though Nintendo may put out a Wii HD with more storage.
Wrong: Nintendo skipped the Wii HD and went straight to a new, more powerful console with a new control system, known as the Wii U, and even though Pachter denies it’s a next-gen console, it’s certainly not just a Wii HD. Meanwhile, Microsoft and Sony are reportedly both working on new consoles that are expected to launch in 2013 or 2014.

Subscription Fees:

Oct 2009: Xbox Live to possibly double in cost in next few years.
Unknown: The advantage of saying up to a certain amount is, if it’s less, you still can claim you’re right. So the $10 yearly raise in 2010 means Pachter was right in saying the price would go up. And since he gave himself “a few years,’ it could go up again, although the $100 he suggested still seems far off.

Sept. 2010: Predicts Microsoft will soon introduce a $100 “platinum” Xbox live membership 
Wrong: We’re still waiting on that.

Jul 2010: Activision will find way to charge for Call of Duty online play
Correct: It’s called Call of Duty Elite.

Price Cuts:

July 2007: 360 Elite will drop from $479 to $399.
Partially Correct: In August 2007, Elite dropped to $449. But it didn’t reach $400 until around a year after that.

Jan 2009: Predicts PS3 price drop in April; 80 GB PS3 will go from $399 to $299.
Fairly Correct: Off by a few months.

Jun 2010: No price cut coming for PS3.
Correct.

Oct. 2010: 360 bundled with Kinect will drop by up to $50 early in 2011
Probably Correct: You know what, it’s really hard to figure out price cuts via Google. But you can get a Kinect bundle for Pachter’s predicted price of $300 now, so my best guess is he was right.

Software Sales:

Nov 2007: Guitar Hero III will generate half billion in fiscal year

Mar 2008: Pachter predicts GTA4 will sell well
Correct, I assume. This one is so obvious I’m not even research it.

Jul 2009: Take 2 will “dominate” 2010.

Grand Theft Auto 5:

March 2009: Next Grand Theft Auto game will come out in 2010, outsell GTA:IV.
Jul 2009: Next GTA game to come out by 2011. 
Dec 2010: Next GTA game to come out by 2012. 
Wrong: In late November, 2011 Rockstar announced GTA:V was in “full development,” but as of the fall of 2012 they still haven't announced a release date.

The PS3/360 Race:

Jan 2009: PS3 won’t catch up to 360 in U.S. until 2014. 
 Jun 2009: Sony will push Microsoft into third place by 2015 (with Wii still on top, apparently)

He usually right with predictions a idiot could make but.... Big ones are usual misses.

haha you should make a thread about this!! :D

And thanks =)

people post his predictions because they know any Pachter threads will get many posts so if we stop posting in them (at least us Nintendo fans) only the Pachter lovers will post in them!

and if there are no people who argue with them then the threads will die out!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

jlrx said:
runqvist said:
Well that is interesting. Pachter is right on the money with a lot of things, I think this prediction is very good.

Not trying to say anything disgusting about you, or insult you, but from what alot of things you do and say, is it true your patcher? uhh, No offense.

You have nothing to worry about, there is no way I could be offended by you.

Why do all gaming sites quote everything this guy says? Please quit.