By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fanboys, I just don't get it

DigitalDevilSummoner said:
bonkers555 said:

I do love shooters but I can bet you $1 that I have played/own/finished more JRPGs then you.

I am the Digital Devil Summoner.

edit:

oh come on, don't dissapoint me, aren't you gonna answer my cheap provocation and tell me how the xbox helped you play more jprgs* than me ?

*which FYI we didn't call jprgs in the pre-360 days but simply rpgs

Do you want to know what we called jrpg:s before?

Hint: We did not call them rpg:s.

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:
MoHasanie said:
kain_kusanagi said:
MoHasanie said:
kain_kusanagi said:
MoHasanie said:
I'm a fan of the 360, but sometimes I really wish I also owned the PS3.

The worst fan boys are those that actually defend Microsoft charging $60 for Xbox Live!!!

What if you'd rather not pay for Xbox Live, but don't really care because you know you spend more than that a year on gum?

I don't chew gum. And, defending Xbox Live is silly cause playstation owners can play online for free.

Like I said, I'd prefer it to be free. But it doesn't matter because $50 a year is nothing. I probably lose that in bank fees in year. Or spend that a week on soda. I'd rather not have to pay, but it's such a small fee I don't think about it unless someone else complains.

In a perfect world I wouldn't have to pay for any of the things I enjoy. Since this world is flawed I've gotten used to paying for stuff.

BTW, you should give gum a try. It tastes good, it's fun and the minty kind freshens your breath. Oh and it costs practically nothing.

Well, you're right, but with $60 you could buy a brand new game so why spend that for playing online when you can get that for free on the playstation? 

haha, I used to love gum but it hurts my jaw now when I chew it for too long, and I've never been able to blow bubbles with bubble gum :( 

Sorry to hear about your jaw. You should have that looked at. It means your jaw is out of alignment. It probably just needs a little reajustment through thearapy.

As for the price of XBLA. Like I said it's nothing. It doesn't keep me from buying all the games I want. I've never had to choose between buying  a new game or paying for Live. $50 a year is like $4 a month. My paycheck doesn't miss that. And I usualy buy two or three Year XBL Gold cards when Amazon has a sale. I literaly have 2 sitting next to my Xbox 360 games waiting to be used when they are needed. They cost me $35 each with free shipping. That amounts to a measly  $2.90 a month. I probably lose that in change and don't even notice it.

If you think about it, if you take the money you would spend on one capachino per month you'd have XBL Gold paid in full plus some left over.

Here's the kicker. I don't even play much online. Halo is the only game I'm willing to play with strangers and I do that very little. I do play with friends and family over live a bit more, but still not often. I pay for XBL Gold just for the occasions that I do play online. That's how little think about it. It's like my TV or Internet bill. I wish they were free, but they are not so I pay and forget.

haha, thanks for the advice! :) 

I suppose when you look at it like that, then you are right. But do you really like paying that much money to Microsoft and Activision? Like, I don't even play any games by Activision, yet part of my money still goes to them. That's not fair right? 

Yeah me too! Unfortunately most of my friends have as PS3, or play those COD games or FIFA 13 and they don't enjoy playing Halo as much as I do :( , so I'm just left playing Halo with random people and that's really the only game I play online, so it makes paying for Live even more useless . Having said that, as much as I don't like paying for Live, I enjoy playing Halo online too much to stop paying for Xbox Live.  

I suppose the reason why it matters much less to you is cause you make your own money, but I still rely on my parents. Of course if I made my own money, then I wouldn't complain as much about it. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Gnac said:

Some people just want to feel that they are a part of something, to the point where they feel like they can bask in its glow.

Funnily enough, I've been accused of doing exactly that while taking the piss out of someone else for doing it.

Agreed

I like that you had the word fan in the op. I once made a group on facebook (I no longer belong to any social sites) and invited everyone that had the word NES, SNES, N64, Nintendo, etc in their profile or if they belonged to various Nintendo groups. There wasn't a general Nintendo group only system based groups (this was back when facebook was only allowed for college students). So I got a lot of people from my college to join and even got an interview with the college paper for a story about the revolution name changing to the Wii and the possible future of it. I named this group the Nintendo Fan Club.

Fanboys are usually kids who haven't grown up yet, have limited resources, and an ego at stake based on what system they pick for their gaming.  Because of this, they end up developing loyalty to a certain brand, which goes religious in nature, so it is irrational and filted around personal biases.  This religious impulse shows up in politics and sports also.  

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

Look what I received from mods because my post here.

"You are receiving this message for violation of forum rules regarding Flaming (I'm pretty sure that you were being sarcastic here, but there are rules about calling individuals on this site fanboys. Please don't do it again.) [Post Reference] Please review the forum rules here to avoid future moderation action."

Unbelievable because I'm not flaming or anything else... I really like to talk with the guys I listed and I really to talk with fanboys because it's way more interesting.

What the mods wants? To transform VGC in the most boring thing ever? Sorry but I don't get that.

People have opinions and love things... so discuss these love things is AMAZING and make me fell like the funking world is wonderful and so interesting.

PS. I miss @seece... it was the best 360 man in this site... and I'd be happy to be called a PS3 fanboy... there is nothing bad with this... I think people need to grow up here because be or not be fanboy doesn't hurt anybody.

i'm sure people that have left the site have alts here ethomaz,i find it hard to believe heavy posters just up and leave forever,they'll be around somewhere debating :) but we'll never know for sure

Above & Beyond

Squilliam said:
People do have 'skin in the game' so to speak so it is very forgiveable for people to act like fanboys. If one console gets a lot of market share then it will tend to create a situation where the platform they favour gets more support, better online communities etc or the reverse.

I remember way back in the day when Halo 1 came out. When someone put the controller in my hand I was like 'wow a console shooter I can actually play?!' I don't know why but for some reason PS2 games seem harder to play than PS3 or Xbox 360 titles even though the same controller configuration is present. I never owned an Xbox but had the Xbox been more successful I would have been a console gamer a generation sooner.

If you love say Xbox 360 or PS3 but all your friends buy a different console to you then you cannot play with them online. You have a stake in what other people buy because their choice can affect you. So in this instance why wouldn't you advocate for your favoured brand of console? The reason why people take Xbox Live price so seriously is because if a large proportion of your friends pay for Live then you will have to as well pretty much whether you like it or not.

I respectfully disagree, this sounds like a sheep metalitly IMHO. Maybe this is the jaded cynic in me, but i would say...f**k em. I tell that to my friends all the time and them to me. If they dont own the console I have or play the games I do thats alright. I never felt the need to sway them. Their is enough online communites out there that play certain games that I dont even think its an issue. I love GE for Wii I can count on one hand the people who I know that even own the Wii let alone that game. But 1.5mil+ people did buy it and it still has an active online player base. 

oniyide said:
Squilliam said:
People do have 'skin in the game' so to speak so it is very forgiveable for people to act like fanboys. If one console gets a lot of market share then it will tend to create a situation where the platform they favour gets more support, better online communities etc or the reverse.

I remember way back in the day when Halo 1 came out. When someone put the controller in my hand I was like 'wow a console shooter I can actually play?!' I don't know why but for some reason PS2 games seem harder to play than PS3 or Xbox 360 titles even though the same controller configuration is present. I never owned an Xbox but had the Xbox been more successful I would have been a console gamer a generation sooner.

If you love say Xbox 360 or PS3 but all your friends buy a different console to you then you cannot play with them online. You have a stake in what other people buy because their choice can affect you. So in this instance why wouldn't you advocate for your favoured brand of console? The reason why people take Xbox Live price so seriously is because if a large proportion of your friends pay for Live then you will have to as well pretty much whether you like it or not.

I respectfully disagree, this sounds like a sheep metalitly IMHO. Maybe this is the jaded cynic in me, but i would say...f**k em. I tell that to my friends all the time and them to me. If they dont own the console I have or play the games I do thats alright. I never felt the need to sway them. Their is enough online communites out there that play certain games that I dont even think its an issue. I love GE for Wii I can count on one hand the people who I know that even own the Wii let alone that game. But 1.5mil+ people did buy it and it still has an active online player base. 

It really depends on the age group and the kind of person really. I have seen this happen through a nephew who is at high school and it seems that theres a certain degree of fanboyism there. If you're really invested in cooperative/competitive play with your friends then it will be more of a big deal than if you just don't care who your opponents are.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
oniyide said:
Squilliam said:

It really depends on the age group and the kind of person really. I have seen this happen through a nephew who is at high school and it seems that theres a certain degree of fanboyism there. If you're really invested in cooperative/competitive play with your friends then it will be more of a big deal than if you just don't care who your opponents are.

I could see that, my high school days are long pass me. But i do remember there being fanboyism even back then, i know I participated, but we didnt have online so that wasnt an issue. When it was all said and done it didnt really matter, we would just go to each other's house and play each other's system, matter of fact you wanna chill with the person who has a different system than you so you could play games you normally would have no access to. Sounds like your nephew might be in school with dumbasses if they are limiting themselves like that. Im an adult and I dont have time for that. So to each his own.