By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fanboys, I just don't get it

I'm writing this because I've been away from this site and gaming in general for a while (got a wife, had kids, y'know), but things haven't changed that much. I still don't understand 'fanboys' at all. It seems to be a small minority of the gaming croud (and thankfully, VGChartz does a pretty good job of moderating these threads to keep things civil), but they're certainly a loud minority, especially on sites with less involved moderators.

First, let me lay out the different catagories I see in the 'hardcore' gaming world (hardcore meaning people that love to game, and do it a lot, not meaning people that like only M rated games).

All-around Gamer: Couldn't care less which system a game is on. Owns every console they can afford, most likely has a PC rig too, appreciates a wide variety of genres.

Fan: Likes a particular system better than another, mostly due to the fact it fits their particular tastes. Can generally appreciate other people's opinions and tastes, and most likely owns multiple consoles (mabe even from all 3 manufacturers). Plays their console of choice most, but generally has at least a few games he/she enjoys on another system. Will defend their favorite system, but doesn't feel the need to bash any competing system.

Fanboy: Loves their particular system more than their own life (Whether it's PC, Nintendo, Sony, MS). Feels threatened if another console is suggested to be anything other than crap, makes it their life mission to denegrade any system that is not their personal favorite. Routinely leaves their own system's forum page to bash competing systems, spell out doom and gloom for other systems, insult the poor, delusional people who somehow love the lowly, inferior, competing console. Looks down their nose at the gaming peasants on other systems. Hypes up their system of choice as the best thing ever no matter what reality is. They're willing to limit their gaming experiences for brand loyalty only (I can understand budgetary reasons). "Game isn't on my system? It must be crap!"Gets banned a lot if they're on VGChartz.

I guess I just don't get it. I count myself as a Nintendo fan (just got a Wii U to put my toe back in the gaming world), but I've owned non-nintendo systems as well (had a Sega Genesis with my SNES, PS1 with my N64, owned a PS2 briefly until it broke). I'm totally jealous of X360 owners because Halo 4 looks amazing, while Uncharted makes me wish I could justify buying a PS3. I would like to get the Nextbox if I can afford it when it comes out. Sadly I can't afford to own everything because kids are damn Expensive, and Nintendo makes my favorite games, so I'm happy with just my Wii U for now.

Seriously, what is it that's so threatening about another console that people have to hate it? It may not be your cup of tea, but it's still good tea to somebody! Let me drink my Mario Tea in peace!

I guess what I'm saying is, why can't we all just get along? Gaming is fun, so there's no reason to be such a stick in the mud!

Around the Network

Thank god I fall in the "All-Around Gamer" category. But I have been accused of being a Xbox fanboy a lot on this site.

Some people just want to feel that they are a part of something, to the point where they feel like they can bask in its glow.

Funnily enough, I've been accused of doing exactly that while taking the piss out of someone else for doing it.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Everything the OP said is spot on.

I don't get it. It's just a game device. You pay for it. It provides you with entertainment. I don't buy all devices because I don't game enough, but my loyalty is low. Over the years my favorite software makers have been Nintendo, Capcom, Konami, Square, Bioware, Blizzard and Bungie. I buy a system that lets me play those games. I also like to have a system that lets me play with my friends. I also buy something that I think is a good deal. As a kid I had Nintendos. My roomates at University had an XBox so I learned to love Halo. When I got my own place I picked up a PS2 cause it had lots of cool games, especially FFX which I wanted to try. The wii released at a good price and I missed the Nintendo games from my youth and my GF and her friends liked wii sports and wario so I picked that up. Got bored with it eventually and wanted something hi-def when I got a hi-def TV so I picked up a 360. There was no fanboyism there, just did the math. XBox had Halo, Final Fantasy, GTA, Fable and Bioware games and there was a great deal on the shopping channel. PS3 had Ratchet and all of the multiplats but there wasn't a lot else that pulled me more than the XBox. I'm not into metal gear. The Xbox was cheaper by several hundred dollars. So I bought it. I might pick up a PS3 eventually if it becomse cheap to play Uncharted. But just now I picked up a Wii U. I want something fresh with new controls and Nintendo software in hi-def should be good. I'm sure I will pick up another system in a while. Might be a PS4. Who knows. Just will come down to price and software. But I just pick up what I feel like. I don't care if anyone else approves, and I don't think anyone else is worse off for buying something different.

Around the Network

people who like to chide me for having opinions... i just don't get it.

i have a favorite football team. i have a favorite hockey team. i have a favorite movie. i have a favorite book. i have a favorite band. i have a favorite food. i have a favorite phone. i have a favorite beer. i have a favorite clothing store. i have a favorite pop (soda).

and you know what!?! i like to talk about it. don't want to hear peoples opinions on video games?? let me kindly suggest you avoid a video game based forum...

kitler53 said:

i have a favorite football team. i have a favorite hockey team. i have a favorite movie. i have a favorite book. i have a favorite band. i have a favorite food. i have a favorite phone. i have a favorite beer. i have a favorite clothing store. i have a favorite pop (soda).

and you know what!?! i like to talk about it. don't want to hear peoples opinions on video games?? let me kindly suggest you avoid a video game based forum...

I'm not talking about people who have opinions and debate. I dont have a problem with that. I'm talking about fanboys and trolls who hype and bash. Stuff that's usually bannable (new word).

Eh, you can agree or disagree with fanboyism, but I don't see why you find it so absurd. Some people have become really attached and loyal to a brand or product, just like some people get attached to a sports team, a school, a group, a city, a state, a nation, etc.

Marketers use the buzz word "hearty loyalty"

http://www.bus.umich.edu/NewsRoom/ArticleDisplay.asp?news_id=13794

I mean, you're really just questioning human psychology.

I would say I'm a Sony fan. I play my PS3 the most but I also have a Wii and loved the shit out of Halo Reach when I had a roommate with a 360.

I would also make some changes to your categories. I would change Fanboy to "Console Fanboy" and then add another category called "Company Fanboy". These people will defend pretty much anything their console maker does even if it is not game related.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

timmah said:
kitler53 said:

I'm not talking about people who have opinions and debate. I dont have a problem with that. I'm talking about fanboys and trolls who hype and bash. Stuff that's usually bannable (new word).

so you are talking about me..