By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Windows 8 hasn’t been a hit with PC gamers, according to NPD

VG247

Windows 8 hasn’t been the shot in arm of PC gaming it was expected to be, according to NPD Group. The firm’s analyst Stephen Baker told Digital Trends that while the new OS hasn’t “made the market any worse,” it also hasn’t provided any stimulation. “It hasn’t provided the impetus to sales everybody hoped for, he said. It probably didn’t help matters having so many high profile developers publicly declare their skepticism for the new operating system. According to a recent Steam survey, .44% of Steam users are running Windows, which equates to 237,600 users out of the 54 million registered Steam accounts. Microsoft announced in November it sold 40 million Windows 8 licenses since its October 26 launch; however, a research firm found only 15 million PC owners were using it. Via Gamespot.

Around the Network

"According to a recent Steam survey, .44% of Steam users are running Windows"

Only .44 of steam users are using the world's biggest OS? O.o

Anyways, I haven't read a single article where anyone was expecting it to suddenly bump sales of... well anything except Windows, secondly, NPD isn't giving us any figures, so we're still stuck waiting untill Microsoft's release in ~Jan.

There is an article stating the exact oposite - http://microsoft-news.com/steam-gamers-adopting-windows-8-four-times-faster-than-general-population/

"It seems, despite Valve’s protestations, Steams users are adopting Windows 8 four times faster than the general population."

Proclus said:

Anyways, I haven't read a single article where anyone was expecting it to suddenly bump sales of... well anything except Windows, secondly, NPD isn't giving us any figures, so we're still stuck waiting untill Microsoft's release in ~Jan.

That MUST be a typo. I'm sure it meant "Windows 8," not "Windows."

wfz said:
Proclus said:

I should have to assume so, I'd seriously wonder what the heck the other 99.66% would be using otherwise then.

Around the Network
wfz said:
Proclus said:

Ah, got it:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=pc

Windows 7 64 bit
  • 60.73%
  • -1.22%

Windows 7 32 bit

• 14.49%
  • -0.23%

Windows 8 64 bit
  • 4.41%
  • +2.48%

Windows 8
  • 0.46%
  • +0.24%

*snipped the rest of the windows*

Other
  • 0.31%
  • +0.17%

So Windows 8, all versions combined already total 4.84%

Ah, darn, beaten by the kowster. :D

kowenicki said:
Fat man propaganda no doubt.

LOL, I just figured out what happened here.

Someone at Gamespot fucked up reading the data as i clearly shows windows 8 64 bit at 4.25% and Windows 8 32 bit at 0.45%.

But they can't miss the oportunity toi slander Windows 8 even if they are unable to read simple charts and graphs.

disolitude said:
There is an article stating the exact oposite - http://microsoft-news.com/steam-gamers-adopting-windows-8-four-times-faster-than-general-population/

"It seems, despite Valve’s protestations, Steams users are adopting Windows 8 four times faster than the general population."

Well the OP's article is correct. At least if it's only counting the 32bit version ;)

seriously? i mean, if they talk about the steam survey i always look at i find this for the november survey:

Windows 7 64 bit 58.58%
Windows 7 13.98%
Windows XP 32 bit 10.36%
Windows Vista 64 bit 4.77%
Windows 8 64 bit 4.25%
Windows Vista 32 bit 3.30%
MacOS 10.8.2 64 bit 1.49%
MacOS 10.6.8 64 bit 0.78%
MacOS 10.7.5 64 bit 0.72%
Windows XP 64 bit 0.47%
Windows 8 0.44% +0.22%
MacOS 10.7.4 64 bit 0.27%
Other 0.57%

so please, everyone who has eyes tell me that i don't see a 4.25% for the 64bit version of windows 8 which isn't there.

€dit: ahh ok someone else already posted a link with the real stats.

Barozi said:
disolitude said:

Well the OP's article is correct. At least if it's only counting the 32bit version ;)

They changed the source article now. Looks like it was a false alarm... :)