By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo May Be In Trouble When It Comes To Wii U's Initial Demand. (Updated With A UK Auction

thismeintiel said:
MDMAlliance said:
thismeintiel said:
MDMAlliance said:
I doubt that the Wii U will need a price cut to sell. It already sells at a loss as it is. I think the demand may be low for a couple of reasons, and one of them may in fact be the fact that holiday season is coming up. As it goes along, I believe more people will want one and more appealing games would be out for the system.

@ bolded

If anything, that should be helping the sales and demand of the Wii U.  Children would be going nuts over it (not saying kids were the only ones into it, Nintendo fans ) and wanting it for Xmas, like they did the Wii that was launched the same time of the year, and their parents would try their damndest to get their hands on one.

I heard most of the shopping happens on Christmas Eve (or at least around that week before Christmas).  Also, the stock for the Wii U hasn't replenished yet (I don't think).  So I think we need to wait a little longer.

Actually, Black Friday week is one of the largest shopping weeks of the year.  And if December is anything like it was last year, sales will either be flat or slightly down from November.  As for the stock, that actually reinforces my point.  If there was high demand and very low stock, then the prices on eBay would be averaging $150-$200 above the normal retail price and people would still be purchasing them.

I don't think a very large number of parents go to eBay to buy christmas presents.  I could be wrong though.  I think their first choice is the retailer, and when they hear the retailer explain that more will be in stock before Christmas, they'll probably just wait.  However, there's no real way of knowing for sure.  Christmas Eve tends to be just as big if not bigger than Black Friday, though.  Also, I would assume many of those who have kids asking for a game console would have parents going for nearer Christmas Eve than Black Friday.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
This is interesting data, but like I've said before: there will not be a price cut anytime soon.

Nintendo learned its lesson from the 3DS launch, and priced the Wii U accordingly. I think we won't see a price cut for the first two years, if not three.

If demand does stay low, I could possibly see Nintendo lowering the price in 6 months (like they did with the 3DS), if only to presuade people before the PS4 and NeXbox launch.  Of course, it wouldn't be anything like a $80 cut they did to the 3DS.  More like a $25 or $50 cut.  However, I don't expect one until 1-1 1/2 years into the Wii U's life.

thismeintiel said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
This is interesting data, but like I've said before: there will not be a price cut anytime soon.

Nintendo learned its lesson from the 3DS launch, and priced the Wii U accordingly. I think we won't see a price cut for the first two years, if not three.

If demand does stay low, I could possibly see Nintendo lowering the price in 6 months (like they did with the 3DS), if only to presuade people before the PS4 and NeXbox launch.  Of course, it wouldn't be anything like a $80 cut they did to the 3DS.  More like a $25 or $50 cut.  However, I don't expect one until 1-1 1/2 years into the Wii U's life.

It's possible, but I expect the PS4 and next Xbox to be somewhere between $400-$500, in which case the Wii U price tag will look all the sweeter.

I think Nintendo will unveil a slew of high-profile games at E3 to steal the thunder from its competitors. Footage from Metroid, Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, or whatever will do more damage than a small price cut, in my opinion.

Time will tell if this is just because they shipped more, less demand, or a combination of both..

We shouldn't compare Wii U with Wii; we should compare it to PS360 instead. Wii was a phenomena, and was on track to outsell the PS2, but never truly could do this in the end. But it sold at a record breaking pace the first few years.

How does Wii U stagger up to PS360?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

I don't really get the basic set - everywhere I go (I'm from Cardiff in the UK) the Premium bundle seems sold out but they have plenty of basic left. This seems to be harming sales of the console even though its the cheaper package!! Maybe people just prefer the black console (my WiiU is the best thing ever invented IMO =p).

The real questions won't be answered until later on in January and we know what it sold this first quarter.

Wii remained sold out and pushed out well nearly 4m units.
WiiU can be found most of the time in stock. Its launch week was relatively the same as Wii, but if it can't push 3-4m units before January, then it clearly does not have the same appeal/demand.

I wouldn't say its cost, as that Ebay chart shows Wiis were selling well over $350 on Ebay by the truckload.

However, its likely a combination of things, foremost a complete lack of retail based advertising. When Wii launched every retailer ran ads for it from launch day to every Sunday thereafter. While I've see a couple TV spots, I've seen zero paper ads for WiiU.

From my local Walmart (which is very very busy..i.e busiest Walmart in southern half of state), Its stock fluctuates. I go in there every couple of days. One day I see one in stock, another I see 4 or 5 of mixed bundles. I have yet to see it out of stock since Black Friday.

I think it has games and good word of mouth. I just think its missing retail advertising and potentially that killer casual game as many of the more core gamers may be waiting to see what MSony are doing. Nintendoland could be that killer game as it is a blast. On Thanksgiving everyone really wanted to keep playing it. However, that word of mouth growth isn't enough.

DanneSandin said:
We shouldn't compare Wii U with Wii; we should compare it to PS360 instead. Wii was a phenomena, and was on track to outsell the PS2, but never truly could do this in the end. But it sold at a record breaking pace the first few years.

Not quite sure how the 360 stacks up, right off hand, but I do know the PS3 fared better on eBay.  Initially, there were sales that ended north of $9000.  And going into the 2nd week, the sales were averaging ~$1200, or more than twice the entry price.

thismeintiel said:
DanneSandin said:

Not quite sure how the 360 stacks up, right off hand, but I do know the PS3 fared better on eBay.  Initially, there were sales that ended north of $9000.  And going into the 2nd week, the sales were averaging ~$1200, or more than twice the entry price.

Haha that's some wicked prices!!! It's just silly!!!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Majora said:
I don't really get the basic set - everywhere I go (I'm from Cardiff in the UK) the Premium bundle seems sold out but they have plenty of basic left. This seems to be harming sales of the console even though its the cheaper package!! Maybe people just prefer the black console (my WiiU is the best thing ever invented IMO =p).

The basic pack is basically (pardon the pun) a very bad idea. It appears to be moving slowly or not at all all over Europe and America. It will be fazed out within the year, mark my words.