By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo May Be In Trouble When It Comes To Wii U's Initial Demand. (Updated With A UK Auction

coolguy said:
Even here in America on ebay wiius are not selling its because the scalpers are asking way to much money and people are smarter and all stores have them in stock.
Just because its not selling on ebay dont mean anything...

It does mean something.  It means that lower than expected sales cannot be blamed on low stock.  If there actually was low stock and high demand, especially this close to Xmas, then the auctions on eBay would be closing at at least $100-$150 over retail price.

Around the Network

system is priced to high and they dont have the motion control hype like the first wii had. The systems have just been sitting in my bestbuy warehouse. 360 and ps3s have been flying off the shelf

craighopkins said:
system is priced to high and they dont have the motion control hype like the first wii had. The systems have just been sitting in my bestbuy warehouse. 360 and ps3s have been flying off the shelf

Too high? $250 vs $300 is too high?  I highly doubt that price has anything to do with it.  I think not enough people are even aware it exists, or that it's not just another Wii with a tablet added to it.

MDMAlliance said:
craighopkins said:

Too high? $250 vs $300 is too high?  I highly doubt that price has anything to do with it.  I think not enough people are even aware it exists, or that it's not just another Wii with a tablet added to it.

Yea, after thinking about it for awhile, I don't think price has much to do with it.  I mean the entry price is only $50 more than the PS3's entry price.  I also believe product confusion may have something to do with it.  However, I also believe that their just isn't much demand for it beyond the Nintendo faithful at this point in time.  It's not going to win over the PS3 and 360 guys with mostly ports that are just on par graphically with their current system.  This only leaves the Nintendo fans and the casuals that Nintendo won over with the Wii.  The only problem for Nintendo is the Wii U isn't as accessible to some as the Wii was.  Especially the really young and middle-aged to elderly demographics.  I still believe a price cut can help some of this, just not all.

thismeintiel said:
MDMAlliance said:
craighopkins said:

Yea, after thinking about it for awhile, I don't think price has much to do with it.  I mean the entry price is only $50 more than the PS3's entry price.  I also believe product confusion may have something to do with it.  However, I also believe that their just isn't much demand for it beyond the Nintendo faithful at this point in time.  It's not going to win over the PS3 and 360 guys with mostly ports that are just on par graphically with their current system.  This only leaves the Nintendo fans and the casuals that Nintendo won over with the Wii.  The only problem for Nintendo is the Wii U isn't as accessible to some as the Wii was.  Especially the really young and middle-aged to elderly demographics.  I still believe a price cut can help some of this, just not all.

There definetly is confusion. People seem to think that the WiiU software will work in their Wii. There is still a similar confusion with 3DS.

Nintendo needs to start advertsing more that they are difference.

I don't think price cut will make much of a difference as 3DS isn't exactly flying of the shelves atm either. I honestly thingk the IN thing atm is tablets and iphones lol. There was a survey that was psoted on here a month ago or so of what peopel wanted. Video gaming in general was far below tablets, iphones, tvs and other main stream electronics this year.

Agreed, bnot enough softwware to make a ps3/360 owner move. Needs something other than multiplats to hook them.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
thismeintiel said:

There definetly is confusion. People seem to think that the WiiU software will work in their Wii. There is still a similar confusion with 3DS.

Nintendo needs to start advertsing more that they are difference.

I don't think price cut will make much of a difference as 3DS isn't exactly flying of the shelves atm either. I honestly thingk the IN thing atm is tablets and iphones lol. There was a survey that was psoted on here a month ago or so of what peopel wanted. Video gaming in general was far below tablets, iphones, tvs and other main stream electronics this year.

Agreed, bnot enough softwware to make a ps3/360 owner move. Needs something other than multiplats to hook them.

You know, after thinking about it, I think the reason the 3DS even started at $250 could have been for the simple fact to show that it is a different system (through price alone).  I can see someone coming along and seeing the 3DS price isn't much higher than the DS, and they would think "must not really be any difference."