By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGA's 2012 - VGChartz - Lets discuss it live?

BasilZero said:
Max King of the Wild said:
question. If MGS has already been announced why all the bullshitting?

Maybe it is a separate game from Ground Zeroes?

im not saying its not MGS. It probably is. However the dicking around is stupid. I remember other teasers kojima did had a konami or kojima logo attached to it. Wouldn't you want your fanbase to know you are revealing something to get them to tune in and talk about it? Also from sweden? Why would you try to throw people off? "We will shortly be disclosing information regarding our first major release."

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
question. If MGS has already been announced why all the bullshitting?

Maybe it is a separate game from Ground Zeroes?

im not saying its not MGS. It probably is. However the dicking around is stupid. I remember other teasers kojima did had a konami or kojima logo attached to it. Wouldn't you want your fanbase to know you are revealing something to get them to tune in and talk about it? Also from sweden? Why would you try to throw people off? "We will shortly be disclosing information regarding our first major release."

The entire internet is talking abiut it now.

Seriously go to any major gaming site and theres a tons of discussion going on about "The Phantom Pain" its marketing genious

BenVTrigger said:

Seriously go to any major gaming site and theres a tons of discussion going on about "The Phantom Pain" its marketing genious

Agreed. It really is marketing genius. The fans are already hearing about this if they didn't tune in and would eventually hear about it if/when it's revealed as an MGS title, but at the same time everybody else who may not otherwise be a fan or interested in MGS are taking interest in it. How is it not a smart marketing move?

Photo of the Phantom Pain team in the Konami VIP. pic.twitter.com/HQFT2RMH

Like BenVTrigger said, it's viral marketing. I was on the Steam forums when the Portal 2 thing went down, it was CRAZY, the thread would literally grow another couple of pages every time I hit refresh. People all over the world were paying attention. This isn't at that level, obviously, but it has people interested.

MentalAlliance said:
BenVTrigger said:

Agreed. It really is marketing genius. The fans are already hearing about this if they didn't tune in and would eventually hear about it if/when it's revealed as an MGS title, but at the same time everybody else who may not otherwise be a fan or interested in MGS are taking interest in it. How is it not a smart marketing move?

For a few different reasons. It really depends how long it takes for them to release information. However the general confusion about the title isnt really good and niether is the fact that this news will die in a couple of days. But lets wait for sales to determine if these were good marketing moves.

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:
god damn now patchter has to eat a hat!

I remember that too!  Here Mr. Patchter - have some fruit punch to wash that down.

I can't blame him.  I think it's turning into an Academe Awards - where money buys influence and you wouldn't expect a little game like that to win.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

MentalAlliance said:

For a few different reasons. It really depends how long it takes for them to release information. However the general confusion about the title isnt really good and niether is the fact that this news will die in a couple of days. But lets wait for sales to determine if these were good marketing moves.

All I know is everyone's eyes are on it right now and they aren't going to just look away that quickly. The announcement of it's tie to MGS will be an important thing timing-wise, that's for sure, but I don't think the level of interest this generated will just die in a couple of days. We'll see, but personally I think this is  great marketing.

Zappykins said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
god damn now patchter has to eat a hat!

I remember that too!  Here Mr. Patchter - have some fruit punch to wash that down.

I can't blame him.  I think it's turning into an Academe Awards - where money buys influence and you wouldn't expect a little game like that to win.

he tweeted saying he sucks lol

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

MentalAlliance said:
MentalAlliance said:

All I know is everyone's eyes are on it right now and they aren't going to just look away that quickly. The announcement of it's tie to MGS will be an important thing timing-wise, that's for sure, but I don't think the level of interest this generated will just die in a couple of days. We'll see, but personally I think this is  great marketing.

Yes, the initial speculation gained lots of traction. However, its my understanding that the Metal Gear Solid franchise is general more disliked than liked. It has a convoluted storyline and you "watch" the game. It still sells very well and has a cult following but I can see when this game is announced as MGS5 it will loose a lot of steam from the people who don't like the series. I don't think this stunt will effect sales in any meaningful way (That will be left to it going multiplat). Which is why I dont like the dicking around for it. I think it would sell the same if they were completely straight with everything.

On a side note how much should we expect sales wise for this game now? Larger user base and multi plat... 8 million?

MentalAlliance said:

Yes, the initial speculation gained lots of traction. However, its my understanding that the Metal Gear Solid franchise is general more disliked than liked. It has a convoluted storyline and you "watch" the game. It still sells very well and has a cult following but I can see when this game is announced as MGS5 it will loose a lot of steam from the people who don't like the series. I don't think this stunt will effect sales in any meaningful way (That will be left to it going multiplat). Which is why I dont like the dicking around for it. I think it would sell the same if they were completely straight with everything.

On a side note how much should we expect sales wise for this game now? Larger user base and multi plat... 8 million?

I still think it can pay off for them, but it's really too early to tell. I guess all we can really do at this point is sit back and watch it unfold.