By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Long-term things Nintendo needs to do

runqvist said:
Wasn't this guy the hero of nintendo fans some years ago? And now he has become a moron? Wow.

He's been consistent in his opinion. When Nintendo started straying from the sucessful path, he critisized them, and console warriors started feeling betrayed by him.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
Soleron said:
kitler53 said:

eh, a new zelda seems to conflict with the rest imo.  

honestly, if nintendo wants profitability to be their main focus (and i suppose that is the goal of every company) they should kill off zelda, metroid, f-zero, pikimin, starfox, smash brothers, 3D mario, and fire emblem (all of their "core" focused franchise).  that would give them more resources to get more games out for the audiences that MSony fail miserably at: kids, girls and women, casuals and beginners.

more mario 2D platformers, brain age, nintendogs, mario party, mario kart, wii fits, and other such titles/franchises they could create like that "wii relax" game that never came.

"New Legend of Zelda" as in a small, low budget 2D Zelda like NSMB.

Agreed with the rest, Wii Relax/Vitality Sensor was a great idea. I hope they didn't kill it due to E3 reception.

question.  if nintendo did actually go through with anything even remotely like what i stated. would you still want a nintendo console?  i mean, i can see how they would be profitable.  but is that really what you want?  more wii music, wii play, wii party, brain age, nintendogs and no metroid, star fox, f-zero?  for me personally, if just retro was sold off to be 3rd party or (even better for me) to sony i just can't imagine me caring about anything nintendo does anymore.

You're right, I wouldn't like it. This thread is about business success not personal likes though. 

Even though NIntendo is supposedly catering to me with the 3DS and Wii U (Paper Mario, Smash Bros focus on big epic 3D titles, nostalgia in Nintendo Land and recent Mario), I've hated all of that too.

KungKras said:
runqvist said:
Wasn't this guy the hero of nintendo fans some years ago? And now he has become a moron? Wow.

He's been consistent in his opinion. When Nintendo started straying from the sucessful path, he critisized them, and console warriors started feeling betrayed by him.

Well, that's what I thought too. Would be some irony if the guy would become the hero of the Ms/Sony fans and the enemy of the nintendo fans...

runqvist said:
KungKras said:
runqvist said:

Well, that's what I thought too. Would be some irony if the guy would become the hero of the Ms/Sony fans and the enemy of the nintendo fans...

It's not really going to happen. His disdain for Microsoft and Sony remain as toxic as his newfound disdain for Nintendo.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Soleron said:
kitler53 said:

question.  if nintendo did actually go through with anything even remotely like what i stated. would you still want a nintendo console?  i mean, i can see how they would be profitable.  but is that really what you want?  more wii music, wii play, wii party, brain age, nintendogs and no metroid, star fox, f-zero?  for me personally, if just retro was sold off to be 3rd party or (even better for me) to sony i just can't imagine me caring about anything nintendo does anymore.

You're right, I wouldn't like it. This thread is about business success not personal likes though. 

Even though NIntendo is supposedly catering to me with the 3DS and Wii U (Paper Mario, Smash Bros focus on big epic 3D titles, nostalgia in Nintendo Land and recent Mario), I've hated all of that too.

okay, fair enough.  i was just curious.  malstrom, to me, seems far more concerned with finance than with fun.  part of why i didn't even like him when i was in love with my wii.  financial isn't really my thing though.

Around the Network

new AAA ip

Some of them are agreeable, but come on now! You can't say that Nintendo should do all these things. Then they aren't Nintendo!

kitler53 said:
Soleron said:

okay, fair enough.  i was just curious.  malstrom, to me, seems far more concerned with finance than with fun.  part of why i didn't even like him when i was in love with my wii.  financial isn't really my thing though.

I believe it is possible to make games that are both very popular/successful AND that are good games, instant classics, but it takes hard work and a lot of talent. Nintendo doesn't have any of that, so instead the question is how can they get money with what they do have.

I'd like the discussion of games to be about fun too, but they don't understand the basics of what makes a good game enough to get that far. There are serious flaws with Nintendo's direction that go well beyond 'I liked/disliked that level in the last Zelda'.

Soleron said:
kitler53 said:

I believe it is possible to make games that are both very popular/successful AND that are good games, instant classics, but it takes hard work and a lot of talent. Nintendo doesn't have any of that, so instead the question is how can they get money with what they do have.

Companies who have worked directly with Nintendo, specifically Silicon Knights, Retro and Rare, have said that Nintendo puts more time and effort into reiterating their code until they're completely happy with the gameplay than almost anyone else out there.  You saying that Nintendo doesn't have talent shows conclusively that you and I have very different opinions about the company.  Carry on...

I think Nintendo is doing everything they should for success right now. They have been really since the launch of the DS. A NEW Legend of Zelda would be awesome and sell a bunch ( I know I would get one ) but they still need the 3D Mario and Zelda titles. They are the titles that push the system, that keep Nintendo relevant with a certain demographic.

I think for big success the things Nintendo needs is 1) Really get online going well (they seem to be getting there with Wii U) 2) Get third party AAA titles (again, seems to be going well now) and 3) come up with some new IP's that really use the gamepad and really cater to the mainstream. They should be iPad-like apps, but ones that can only be done on a true games system. I'm thinking games like BrainAge the pushed the DS into mainstream acceptance. Something that looks cool when demo'd or shown in ads like the iPad playing the piano. A few bits of software that can do that, together with 3D Mario and MarioKart, and assuming continued success in items 1 and 2, will make the WiiU explode in 2013.