By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What if: Sony and Microsoft had both launched in 2005 at $399?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
Sooooo PS3 fans have to construct their own alternate universe to win???? Cause thats what I see here.

Technically, OP is correct, without the headstart, Sony would be 8 million consoles in front of Microsoft right now, even with the $600 price tag, based on their sales year for year.

Soooo Im right. Alternate universe = win.

This universe = ignore.

While im at it....what if 360 didnt have RROD, what if MS price dropped by $100 in Nov 2006. What if MS sold it for $99 in Japan only just because they felt like it?

Alternate universe talk = fail.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

total 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 PS3 will be shipped in one year. Are you happy?

zhao3gold said:
total 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 PS3 will be shipped in one year. Are you happy?

goodness everyone seems very hostile to a "what if" for some reason.  Just asking geez

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

platformmaster918 said:
zhao3gold said:

goodness everyone seems very hostile to a "what if" for some reason.  Just asking geez

But its the "why" to the "what if".

What motivates the thought in the first place? More often then not, its to get out of last place. I cant recal seeing any what ifs from Wii owners....because they won. 360 owners are happy since they are winning over PS3. That only leaves one faction that wouldn;t mind a reality change.

If your the exception then apologies but usually these are all rooted in sales, and are done so to get out of the lowest sales bracket.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
platformmaster918 said:

What motivates the thought in the first place? More often then not, its to get out of last place. I cant recal seeing any what ifs from Wii owners....because they won. 360 owners are happy since they are winning over PS3. That only leaves one faction that wouldn;t mind a reality change.

I'm a Nintendo fan, and I made three of these alternate histories recently. I;m pretty sure those inspired this thread. Only one of them was more favorable to Nintendo, and it still had the PS2 winning the 6th generation by far.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=150688

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=150500

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=149709

The desire to see our favorite company do better isn't why we create alternate histories. Although seeing our favorite companies do better in an alternate reality is sort of cool. We do it out of interest in gaming history and business, out of a sense of exploration and creativity, and more than just a touch of sheer curiousity. In short, we do it for the same reason we play games; fun.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network
Salnax said:
sales2099 said:
platformmaster918 said:

I'm a Nintendo fan, and I made three of these alternate histories recently. I;m pretty sure those inspired this thread. Only one of them was more favorable to Nintendo, and it still had the PS2 winning the 6th generation by far.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=150688

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=150500

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=149709

The desire to see our favorite company do better isn't why we create alternate histories. Although seeing our favorite companies do better in an alternate reality is sort of cool. We do it out of interest in gaming history and business, out of a sense of exploration and creativity, and more than just a touch of sheer curiousity. In short, we do it for the same reason we play games; fun.

You seem to be the exception as your talking about what many Nintendo fans wish Nintendo did with the Wii: make it more core oriented. You guys won, but you personally would have preferred better graphics, no motion controls, etc. Fair enough.

sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
Sooooo PS3 fans have to construct their own alternate universe to win???? Cause thats what I see here.

Technically, OP is correct, without the headstart, Sony would be 8 million consoles in front of Microsoft right now, even with the $600 price tag, based on their sales year for year.

Soooo Im right. Alternate universe = win.

This universe = ignore.

While im at it....what if 360 didnt have RROD, what if MS price dropped by $100 in Nov 2006. What if MS sold it for $99 in Japan only just because they felt like it?

Alternate universe talk = fail.

lol...look at the sales, thats what would've happened if Sony would've launched with Micorosoft in 2005, plus people would've been forced to choose between them both in the same launch year, which would probably have been worse.

PS3 would've dominated this gen. No doubt. It would probably rival PS2s numbers by now.

In this alternate reality, did this "overclocked ps2 * 3" Ps3 have great COD ports? How did Bioshock, Mass Effect and gta iv work out?

Let me guess, while not containing the cell, it contained a suoer powerful (but cheap to produce of course) emotion engine 2, which meant it could handle this gens high profile multiplats?

The problem with these alternate reality scenarios is that there's so many other factors unadressed , and, really , any scenario exists entirely in the imagination of the OP. That anyone who envisages their imaginary reality differently is corrected. It becomes akin to a discussion about whose imaginary girlfriend has bigger breasts.

If it was significantly less powerful than the 360 then id say sales wouldve started drying up around 2008, when COD4, Bioshock, Mass Effect and Gta iv started to gain traction. But I guess I'll be corrected by someone saying "no it's just as powerful as 360".

JimmyDanger said:
In this alternate reality, did this "overclocked ps2 * 3" Ps3 have great COD ports? How did Bioshock, Mass Effect and gta iv work out?

Let me guess, while not containing the cell, it contained a suoer powerful (but cheap to produce of course) emotion engine 2, which meant it could handle this gens high profile multiplats?

The problem with these alternate reality scenarios is that there's so many other factors unadressed , and, really , any scenario exists entirely in the imagination of the OP. That anyone who envisages their imaginary reality differently is corrected. It becomes akin to a discussion about whose imaginary girlfriend has bigger breasts.

If it was significantly less powerful than the 360 then id say sales wouldve started drying up around 2008, when COD4, Bioshock, Mass Effect and Gta iv started to gain traction. But I guess I'll be corrected by someone saying "no it's just as powerful as 360".

how about I change it to if they had released a similar console both hardware and release date wise?  Sony would still have all their first party studios and free online.  The point is that is Sony had played it safe and rested on what made their previous 2 gens so successful (reasonable hardware backed by free online and above all great software).

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers