By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony patents hybrid DualShock/Move controller

It's a definite step in the right direction; if they make it more rounded and slightly bigger than the regular dual shock, they may well be back in the running for the best console controller at last.

Around the Network
joesampson said:
The only downside I see of this design is that it kills my primary use case for the move which is using it as a bat in MLB The Show. That design just doesn't look like it will work for that but maybe I'm wrong.

If Sony goes this route they'd be crazy to not keep the traditional move controllers. This setup works great for simulating hands while it doesn't work too great for simulating objects. Also I'm very interested to see how natural it feels to point using these split apart controllers.

As a person that likes Move on non party games like Infamous and Heavy Rain, I really hope this becomes the PS4 controller. It opens up so many wonderful possibilities that would be exclusive to Sony. The only drawback for this would be price. I actually see the big glowing balls as a good thing since the lights can be controlled by the game adding another level of immersion.

Also can one of you guys explain why you think this controller wouldn't have shoulder buttons? I fail to see your logic.

Anyone else remember seeing the Playstation controller split like this?  I remember seeing pics off and on a few years ago at least.

That's interesting. I kinda like it.

Jay520 said:
Would be cool if they could somehow not make the balls so intrusive or make them detachable. It would be great if we could screw on/off the balls. That would be awesome. 

Wow! Calm down tiger!  That is a little extreme!

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Are people actually judging this based on patent art??

It would be great to have this even without using it for motion controls. Not having to keep your hands in one position all the time is a plus. Playing with a wiimote + nunchuck is a lot more comfortable in some games.
And an analog stick on each motion controller is even better.

No, it seems a lot of people understand that it's just a prototype design.  Some are judging it but it seems a lot are aware of what is going on.

leatherhat said:

This is what move should have been in the first place. Analogs on the move wands would have opened up numerous gameplay possibilities. 

RolStoppable said:

Somebody forgot about the shoulder buttons.

Persumably the buttons near the middle would take their place. 

No, the OP forgot a pic.  The L1 and R1 buttons are still on the top (well, back now). 

@ OP

I love this design and hope it is the PS4's standard controller, so everyone is Move enabled.  Love that the triggers are now concave, as well.  Only 3 things I would change.  One, the balls need to be smaller (most likely this will happen).  Two, the handles should be sloped down slightly, like the Dual Shock (probably will happen).  And three, the analog stick tops should be concave, not convex (might not happen).  But overall, I like this idea.

Alright so I went through and read the whole patent. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

First off the two buttons that many of you think are shoulder button replacements are actually just PS buttons like on the current controller.

One embodiment has a ball on both ends, a total of four balls. This ensures even better motion tracking.

Each controller can have an add on (in the form of the ball). This add on on can potentially do anything, or just glow. The patent mentions lots of cool options such as temperature and tactile feedback.

this is wht i thought they move was going to look like

cool news, not really a fan of the balls but its still a good start ^.^