By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - RUMOR: Playstation 4 to be called "Omni" + lots of other details

Not too sure about the 'helmet' I'd rather they focused more on delivering reliable, easy to code for hardware with a decent jump in power over the PS3.

Not that including a peripheral or a new input device will necessarily incur shortcuts in the aforementioned areas, but one does wonder.

Also if the rumors are true it looks like all three will be going for very different hardware. We may see less similarities to this gen chiefly the point of the PS3/360 sharing 90% of the same games. At least if they do next gen, they will look and play remarkably differently.

Around the Network
BluGamer23 said:
theprof00 said:
BluGamer23 said:
yes please sony! we want a vr headset.. and a monster specd omni! .. you cant let Microsoft get away with having the most powerful!.. this must not happen.

Read my recent thread about ps4.

Sony really doesn't need to mess with big hardware upgrades. Gaikai, would be able to provide cutting edge graphics at the highest resolutions for people that subscribe to something like say PS+. They can make a nominal improvement, and let Gaikai take on 360.

Higher resolutions and better graphics means games will cost more to make, which devs complained about this past gen. Competing more with nintendo will pull all the multiplats. Then they will just use gaikai to stream the 360 quality games.

theprof00.. im just being sarcastic.. while there people on here and forums that want a super spec'd out ps4 that would bring it to a super high price.. its definitely not what sony needs.. lol.. but people refuse to believe it wont be as powerful as they think it would be... it would definitely be more powerful than wiiU.. thats a given.

WOOSH right over my head!

That sounds quite good. Specially the potential games in development. The price point seems rather reasonable too. The next couple of months are going to be really exiting with the next xbox and playstation console information pours in.

While I could be wrong, this sounds awful and I couldn't see any company moving forward with a system like this ...

superchunk said:
O_O

This seems like a well put together and logical rumor, but the glasses part seems crazy if true. I for one, think that if they came out with a feature like this and it wasn't part of EVERY console sold, then that is stupid. Any new feature or tool MUST be part of every console sold otherwise it will likely fail in the long run. Even Kinect, with its strong start, has fizzled and people generally don't care about it anymore due to lack of new content.

Just like with Wii U and its gamepad, not every game will use this feature. So no need to drive up costs with unnecessary add-ons.
People can always buy it seperately, and if this really is revolutionary, people will buy it.

Around the Network
Heavenly_King said:
ethomaz said:

Heavenly_King said:

1 person only?

It's like a helmet... so 1 person per helmet... if you need buy more.

PS. There is no way the new PlayStation is to named anything else than PS4.

well, in Japan they wont have that name, unless they want a console to be named "PlayStation Death".

There is  a Resident Evil 4 in Japan, and it sold well so.....there's also a Yakuza 4..etc.
Whatever this supersition was, Japan seems to have gotten over it.

HappySqurriel said:
While I could be wrong, this sounds awful and I couldn't see any company moving forward with a system like this ...

Why?

I'd imagine marketing a headset like this could work wonders and create a lot of buzz, it would be seen as a step in the direction of VR. The Wii and Kinect have already shown there's a massive market for new gaming experiences.

Soundwave said:

I don't understand this ... the system is only a modest leap from the Wii U?

Microsoft is basically going to have the upper end of the market to themselves and the Wii U will take the budget/casual/kids crowd on the bottom end ... leaving Sony with what?

If there's a noticable power gap between MS and Sony's machines, even if its slight enough that it gives MS the edge in many multi-plat titles ... Sony's goose is cooked IMO. 

Nintendo can play the low-tech card because they have a very loyal fanbase tied to their classic game franchises and the heavy draw of 80s/90s nostalgia, Sony really doesn't have that going for them. 

IF this rumor is true and next Xbox really is more powerful, it could actually benefit Sony. They would have the more affordable console.

@bold
Don't worry, PS4 won't be low-end.

HappySqurriel said:

A screen that can turn any tv into 3d and display 4k res video as well as provide video overlay through a semi-transparent screen, and track head movement?

Well, you may be wrong, I may be wrong.

Gilgamesh said:
Never liked Orbis, Omni is nice and simple it could catch on.

Interesting specs, I wish Sony would drop 3D though...I think it's a dead end.

3D is the future. It will become standard a lot sooner than 4K. The only reason most people don't have a 3D TV is because of price, with this they don't even need a 3DTV....

And a optional head-mounted VR 3D display sounds really interesting. It's something that will make the PS4 Omni unique.