By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - RUMOR: Playstation 4 to be called "Omni" + lots of other details

JimmyDanger said:

That all sounds pretty cool to me!

Excited by the prospect of a true BC (Ps1,2,3) dongle - I could unpack a lot of PS2 games out of the cupboard - without the need to unpack the PS2 itself! And trying to find/buy some cables compatible with my HDTV (which doesn't scale older resolutions very well - it won't even play VC Super Mario Bros 1 on my component connected Wii). I keep my older consoles, I keep my older games, but it is hard to keep them all set up (even harder since I got rid of my last CRT TV after it broke) in the same room. I used to keep my spare room as a CRT TV old school gaming room with my PS2/XBX1/GC/DC/Saturn/Megadrive/SNES/Famicom set up - but it took up a heap of space - and when my son was born a few years back - well he kind of needed his own room!

The glasses concept sounds similar to MS's "Fortaleza" glasses that info was leaked about - and maybe even the Valve console leak that happened a day or two ago. So maybe we will have a scenario next generation where this augmented reality thing is core to many multiplats, and not just a casual thing for individual platforms.

I'm still not %100 convinced that the PS4/Omni and the ValveSteamBox aren't the same thing. Pretty sure they wouldn't be - but with the Valve economist leak and this happeneing a few days apart - I'm not so sure.

Exciting news!

I hope the Nextbox/Omni release at least 9 months apart though (don't care who is first, I'm not a fanboy) - as I'd like to get both!

Edit - I forgot to include my Dreamcast!

You just blew my mind, that would make sense to what that guy said about an alien being sit besides him.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
VGKing said:
Gilgamesh said:
Never liked Orbis, Omni is nice and simple it could catch on.

Interesting specs, I wish Sony would drop 3D though...I think it's a dead end.

3D is the future. It will become standard a lot sooner than 4K. The only reason most people don't have a 3D TV is because of price, with this they don't even need a 3DTV....

And a optional head-mounted VR 3D display sounds really interesting. It's something that will make the PS4 Omni unique.

seriously?  seriously?!?  no.  just no.

It said transparent screen. I'm thinking more something like this:

AMOLED screens are paper thin and transparent

VGKing said:
Cobretti2 said:
VGKing said:
Gilgamesh said:
Never liked Orbis, Omni is nice and simple it could catch on.

Interesting specs, I wish Sony would drop 3D though...I think it's a dead end.

3D is the future. It will become standard a lot sooner than 4K. The only reason most people don't have a 3D TV is because of price, with this they don't even need a 3DTV....

And a optional head-mounted VR 3D display sounds really interesting. It's something that will make the PS4 Omni unique.

Not in Australia. The price difference is like $10-$50. for the same model with and without 3d.

Not sure if serious.....

NO i am not.

At JB HIFI LED LCD SAMSUNG

32inch non  = $666 - 3d = $688

40 inch non = $891 - 3d $898

46inch and above, it is hard to find a non 3d model  as they just part of the features offered. If there is any non 3d they be old stock.

Perhaps we jsut dont import them as much anymore. I don't know I don't really pay attention to these things normally.

thismeintiel said:
I only believe some of these may come true. First of all, with most of these rumors, unless they provide pics/vids, are just people's guesses masked as rumors by saying it came from an anonymous source, designed to get hits. Then when the system comes out, the rumors are either forgotten about or if they are called out on it, they just say that Sony must have just changed plans.

I believe the launch date could prove to be accurate, give or take a month or so. I also think the general price range to be about right, ~$399-$499. However, I highly doubt for that price they are only going to be including a 160GB HDD or have only a small upgrade when compared to the Wii U, which itself is only a small upgrade from the PS3 and 360 (we will see SLIGHTLY better looking games compared to the PS3 when developers learn to use the HW to the fullest.) Sony wouldn't come out with a new system that is only a small leap from the previous gen. Never have, never will.

As for the headset, I definitely see them releasing something like that. However, I see it being an add-on you buy separately. Sony is not going to be packing such a nice piece of tech into the Premium package at a measly $100 more. They would lose $100s on each console, something I don't think Sony wants to repeat.

It's also funny how many different rumors they have put together, but don't even mention an improved PS Eye, which is a definite for next gen. Not only will Sony want to improve tracking of the Move controllers (may see upgrades to them, too), but they will also want to improve head and body tracking compared to the PS Eye, as well as Kinect.

There are some patents flying around some where about Sony's new eye. It's uses sonar to scan your environment and you. So it's going to destroy anything Kinect is capable of. Because unlike Kinect it could see every bit of you at once, even find stuff that under you couch. It's the same tech I used in auto body to scan a cars frame for damage, and the same thing they use to scan lakes for bodies.

Cobretti2 said:

NO i am not.

At JB HIFI LED LCD SAMSUNG

32inch non  = $666 - 3d = $688

40 inch non = $891 - 3d $898

46inch and above, it is hard to find a non 3d model  as they just part of the features offered. If there is any non 3d they be old stock.

Perhaps we jsut dont import them as much anymore. I don't know I don't really pay attention to these things normally.

Well, according to the rumor, you won't need a 3d tv. The glasses will be able to do that on any tv.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
kitler53 said:

kitler53 said:
theprof00 said:
kitler53 said:

I had an idea for this a long time ago, thinking that this is what sony was going to do with psp2, but, turns out they're doing it with ps4.
Google eye or whatever is a similar tech. Very up and coming technology. Ten years down the road everyone is going to have these things.

Mmmfishtacos said:
thismeintiel said:
I only believe some of these may come true. First of all, with most of these rumors, unless they provide pics/vids, are just people's guesses masked as rumors by saying it came from an anonymous source, designed to get hits. Then when the system comes out, the rumors are either forgotten about or if they are called out on it, they just say that Sony must have just changed plans.

I believe the launch date could prove to be accurate, give or take a month or so. I also think the general price range to be about right, ~$399-$499. However, I highly doubt for that price they are only going to be including a 160GB HDD or have only a small upgrade when compared to the Wii U, which itself is only a small upgrade from the PS3 and 360 (we will see SLIGHTLY better looking games compared to the PS3 when developers learn to use the HW to the fullest.) Sony wouldn't come out with a new system that is only a small leap from the previous gen. Never have, never will.

As for the headset, I definitely see them releasing something like that. However, I see it being an add-on you buy separately. Sony is not going to be packing such a nice piece of tech into the Premium package at a measly $100 more. They would lose $100s on each console, something I don't think Sony wants to repeat.

It's also funny how many different rumors they have put together, but don't even mention an improved PS Eye, which is a definite for next gen. Not only will Sony want to improve tracking of the Move controllers (may see upgrades to them, too), but they will also want to improve head and body tracking compared to the PS Eye, as well as Kinect.

There are some patents flying around some where about Sony's new eye. It's uses sonar to scan your environment and you. So it's going to destroy anything Kinect is capable of. Because unlike Kinect it could see every bit of you at once, even find stuff that under you couch. It's the same tech I used in auto body to scan a cars frame for damage, and the same thing they use to scan lakes for bodies.

Holy shit! You mean they can find all those bodies I dumped?  CRAP!!

thismeintiel said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
thismeintiel said:

Holy shit! You mean they can find all those bodies I dumped?  CRAP!!

Lol. Better hide them better. Under your couch was never a good spot anyway.

VGKing said:

http://dualpixels.com/2012/11/29/rumor-behind-the-scenes-with-first-party-hardware-and-third-party-softwear-next-gen/

Sony is near the middle end part of their Project Orbis, their next generation PS4. It will not be called Playstation 4, teams have started to call the final name as Omni. Omni will reflect their new hardware and content delivery philosophy. Omni will be “very capable” of doing modern day graphics compared to a Direct X 11 level of technology like Unreal Engine 4 and Frostbite 2. Compared to Wii U, it is better, but not the biggest leap in the world according to developer friends of mine. The key is the Omniviewer, a thin, lite and slick head mounted autosteroptic display that can track the users head and presents a 360 image view with semi transparent AMOLED screens. This can turn any TV into a 3D TV, as well as add extra augmented reality information outside of the TV screen. One application from an entertainment perspective seeing movies in 2k, 4k or IMAX resolutions as their original size where you have to move your head to look at the full picture being displayed. Can also synch with the Vita. The new controllers weather it’s the Duo-Moves or the Classic DuoShock will have pulse sensors in the grips for biofeedback gameplay. Plans are a Basic Unit with 160 gigs and just the system with controller at $350-$399 and one with the Omniviewer and a pack-in game for $450-$499. Aims are for a September 2013 launch.

– Omni is also part of their philosophy with the new OmniCloud, the new version of Gaktai. This service will not only cloud stream PS1, PS2 and select PS3 games to Playstation Certified devices but will also allow every digital and retail purchase to have access to a copy on the cloud. Basically, you buy one game, you can use it on any Plyastation device. Direct hardware Backwards Compatibility will be available by a $70 – $99 dongle that is plugged into the Omni that contains a PS3 on a chip with Cell to run games.

Color me excited for what is to come then, cuz that sounds AWESOME!!!! The head mount thing interests me, it is only furthering this "dual screen" revolution started by tablets and smartphones. It is a slightly different direction but can possibly prove very lucrative.

Are we talkin....

or...

? Obviously if its like the Mass Effect one it will not be halographic rather some kind of screened eye patch like MGS4's. Would be super bad ass!

Now the price points bring me to hesitate a little. I think $450 is what they should shoot for. The idea of always being able to access everything Playstation is VERY tantalizing. I told myself I would not be jumping into next gen right of the bat this go around....this might turn me into a liar if the 1st Gen games are also on point. If the console is to really debut next Christmas what does this really mean for PS3's AAA titles next year? The Last of Us and Beyond are looking very big budget, lets not forget the infamous Last Guardian and FFVersXIII that have been in limbo forever. Will they be making that rumored jump? So many questions. Getting excited lol

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)