By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Playstation All-Stars Is No Super Smash Bros. Brawl, It’s Better

One does not simply be better than Smash Bros.

All-Stars is more like a traditional fighting game than Smash Bros., with combos and stuff. And that's about everything I'm qualified to say about it, as I haven't played nearly enough of the game.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:

lastly, the single player mode is a bit lazy. playing the campain for each character is quite repetitive and lacks variety. it's just 20x of the same player vs. bot matches. ..and polygon man is a huge cop-out of a final boss. it only feeds the smash-clone garbage.

so the bottom line for me: the core gameplay of PSAS is better than smash which is huge to me. this game is soo much fun to play. but it as a lot of other elements that are just not up to standards and while individually they critiques are small the cumulative effect is large. overall i'll give the nod to SSB as the better game but if superbot can get their act together on some of the finer details for a sequel i think PSAS could outshine SSB.

In Polygon Man's defense, he's a hyper obscure character from PS history, so it only inadvertantly ends up being near to the "Fighting Polygon Team."

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Outside the online and more moves i dont see it being better than smash.

The gameplay is more of a traditional fighting game so outside the 4 players i can really compare it to smash specially since the SB system gives more freedom. But if i compare it to other traditional fighting games like sf, tekken or KoF it just fell flat. The combo system, the supers and retardly huge hitstun makes it a very streamlined game imo and the metagame will probably be stale after sometime unless they keep constant patches.
Outisde the lackluster presentation, it's a decent game, but also a reminder of what could have been.

pezus said:

Note: Before anyone says it, the name of the site has nothing to do with my opinion. PASBR is literally the only time I have played my PS3 aside from the Uncharted games. Aside from those two titles, Sony barely ever registers as a blip on my radar.

My history and experience with Super Smash Bros. is decently storied. I was active in the tournament scene for a few years and well renown for my use of Ike, a low tier character. Truthfully, I was never particularly successful in tournaments, and almost all of the acknowledgment I received was from playing people in friendlies, where my penchant for self-scrutiny didn’t seem to creep up as much.

For all of its flaws, I love playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl and all of its fan-made variants. That would be hard to deny, considering it’s been the mainstay in my Wii for just under five years. Brawl PlusBrawl MinusProject M, and even Balanced Brawl provide unique and differing takes on improving a game that was hamstrung by the creator’s desire to spite a portion of his fans. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not the type that believes that games should only be competitively minded, I just don’t think that bad game design in the name of sending a “f*** you” to anyone is a good idea. Sakurai’s decisions enforced the falsehood that casual fun and competitive spirit could not coexist in the same game.

For months, the guys over at SuperBot Entertainment have been saying that PlayStation All-Stars is one of those games you have to give a legitimate shot before bringing the hammer down on. Admittedly, the game sounds kind of dumb on paper. Throwing supers to OHKO your opponents could easily strike some as too easy, while others would feel cheated by the idea that they couldn’t earn a kill by virtue of landing normal attacks.

In execution, the game makes sense. There’s a mix of Smash and regular fighting game fundamentals that propel the title beyond the constraints of either. Items that don’t skew the overall battle and hazards that are able to be avoided encourage playing the game at face value, rather than running to the options to minimize the level of random BS that can happen. While the cast of twenty seems paltry compared to the thirty-five to fifty character rosters we’re used to, each character’s essence is woven into the move sets in creative ways that display how each character would act in an all-out-fight. You’re not stuck with a lazy Captain Falcon/Ganondorf situation. The closest argument one could make for similar treatment would be the Coles, but Good and Evil Cole actually serve different purposes and have separate circle moves.

What makes the move sets work is that you’re not picking repetitive characters or clones. Radec, Ratchet, Jak, and Nathan Drake are all gun heavy characters, but there’s no overlap in how each of them function. Drake is probably the best of the four at close and mid range, Jak is the most mobile of the four, Ratchet has the widest variety of moves in terms of range, and Radec’s strength lies in the longest of ranges.

Similarly, you don’t find overlap in the action-based sword wielding characters either. Kratos’s chain swords have strong frame data that make him ridiculously safe at mid-range. When fighting Kratos, you either have to stay outside of his range, or keep directly in his face to punish his recovery frames. Dante’s sword attacks may be the best way to start up a combo, but using it in the way that a Kratos players uses his square attacks will make an otherwise mobile character very stiff and open to punishment.

I’m not a Melee apologist. I don’t look back on the title as some golden age for Smash, and one would be silly to not acknowledge that all three Smash titles were runaway successes. I understand that it’s in a developer’s best interest to keep games as accessible as possible. Anyone who militantly preaches otherwise is free to pay a studio’s worth of developers to create a game that doesn’t sell well, and then immediately fire them because the game didn’t cover production costs. That always goes over well. But accessibilty goes both ways, alienating any aspect of your fanbase is an egregiously bad move.

The last factor that I feel pushes PASBR over Brawl fundamentally is that the studio behind it actually cares whether or not people like the game. It might be a matter of circumstance; a fledgling studio has to worry about their title’s reception so they’re going to go out of their way to be more open and accommodating.

Regardless of the motivation, it just plain works. They took player feedback into deep consideration and the intricacies of the game’s combat engine were significantly tweaked from the game I previewed a few months ago. The beta served to create some of the smoothest net code I have seen in a fighter yet. There are some base connection issues that still need to be worked out, but it’s not the lag fest filled with impractical tactics that you are prone to find out there with other titles.

Don’t get me wrong, there are still some issues at the moment. As smooth as the netcode is, merely staying connected can be a pain for some users. Nerfing certain characters out of their level 1 setups seems a bit unnecessary if you’re going to leave flowchart characters like Raiden and Evil Cole in the game. If Raiden lands his forward square or Evil Cole lands his charged Giga Punch, you can kiss your life goodbye. AP levels will need to be adjusted in the future as well, but at least SuperBot is paying attention. What I find funniest is that Seth Killian stated that the final version of Evil Cole is after game designer Ed Ma “took the hatchet” to him, so one can only imagine what kind of ridiculous crap he was capable of beforehand.

The biggest problem SuperBot faces is the same thing they have been saying since day one: preconception. There are a number of die-hard Smash players who fell in love with All-Stars once they got their hands on it, people willing to give the game a chance are finding a simple-but-deep fighter that cares in a way that Nintendo just stopped doing.

Agree? Disagree?

I don't play Smash Brothers for deep tactical fighting mechanics. If that's my main concern there are many better fighters than PS Allstars out there. 

The OP looks like you're pretending you wrote the article yourself or something...include a link!

OT: I've played neither

Around the Network
the_dengle said:

One does not simply be better than Smash Bros.

All-Stars is more like a traditional fighting game than Smash Bros., with combos and stuff. And that's about everything I'm qualified to say about it, as I haven't played nearly enough of the game.

I find it funny that people just don't get Smash.  What makes it great is that it's a different style of fighter than the traditional deep tactile fighters which are not in short supply. Make a game that looks like Smash but plays like a traditional fighter doesn't interest me in the slightest. I'd rather just play Street Fighter IV right now and wait for the next Smash.

Mr Khan said:
kitler53 said:

lastly, the single player mode is a bit lazy. playing the campain for each character is quite repetitive and lacks variety. it's just 20x of the same player vs. bot matches. ..and polygon man is a huge cop-out of a final boss. it only feeds the smash-clone garbage.

so the bottom line for me: the core gameplay of PSAS is better than smash which is huge to me. this game is soo much fun to play. but it as a lot of other elements that are just not up to standards and while individually they critiques are small the cumulative effect is large. overall i'll give the nod to SSB as the better game but if superbot can get their act together on some of the finer details for a sequel i think PSAS could outshine SSB.

In Polygon Man's defense, he's a hyper obscure character from PS history, so it only inadvertantly ends up being near to the "Fighting Polygon Team."

no.  just no.  there is no defense for polygon man's inclusion.

pezus said:
cunger said:

I don't play Smash Brothers for deep tactical fighting mechanics. If that's my main concern there are many better fighters than PS Allstars out there. 

I want to refer you to point 8 in this thread right here

Sorry.

BenVTrigger said:
No idea as I haven't played the final game.

I played the demo though and hated that there's no ring outs and that you didnt actually do damage but just built towards a super move.

Ive been thinking about buying it anyway. Is the game better than the demo from those who have played both?

Agreed. I found that very ackward

Xxain said:
BenVTrigger said:
No idea as I haven't played the final game.

I played the demo though and hated that there's no ring outs and that you didnt actually do damage but just built towards a super move.

Ive been thinking about buying it anyway. Is the game better than the demo from those who have played both?

Agreed. I found that very ackward

it's only awkward if you want this game to be something other than what it is.  i learned quite quickly to look out for the glowing players who are ready to super my ass and approach them differently to stay out of the super spot or be prepared to interupt/evade.  it's really different but it is also really satisfying.