By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Catalonian Independence?

mai said:

And what problem would that solve for Catalonia exactly? Getting rid of Spanish fiscal problems and trying to survive on their own? Not gonna help, unless they want out of eurozone.

They probably wouldn't even be part of the EU since that would require Spain and France voting for it.

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
mai said:

And what problem would that solve for Catalonia exactly? Getting rid of Spanish fiscal problems and trying to survive on their own? Not gonna help, unless they want out of eurozone.

They probably wouldn't even be part of the EU since that would require Spain and France voting for it.

That's the biggest problem, and the biggest discussion.

Technically, Catalonia is in Europe because it's part of one of a country that is member of Europe. Would separate from Spain make it go out of Europe? And if the answer is yes, would that mean that also Spain goes out of Europe given that it won't be the same country (both geographically and economically) than it was?

Anyway, neither France or Germany would like it to happen because that would mean a weak Spain, so a weak Euro, and they can't let that happen because it would also hurt them.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
haxxiy said:
mai said:

Technically, Catalonia is in Europe because it's part of one of a country that is member of Europe. Would separate from Spain make it go out of Europe? And if the answer is yes, would that mean that also Spain goes out of Europe given that it won't be the same country (both geographically and economically) than it was?

Anyway, neither France or Germany would like it to happen because that would mean a weak Spain, so a weak Euro, and they can't let that happen because it would also hurt them.

The treaties clearly say that if a part of a country that belongs to the union secedes, that part is the only one that goes outside the union, and it has to abide to the whole adhesion process, a process that needs the approval of all the union members. The rest of the country still belongs to the union.

Kynes said:
JEMC said:
haxxiy said:
mai said:

The treaties clearly say that if a part of a country that belongs to the union secedes, that part is the only one that goes outside the union, and it has to abide to the whole adhesion process, a process that needs the approval of all the union members. The rest of the country still belongs to the union.

Ok, thanks.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Kynes said:
JEMC said:

Ok, thanks.

This is something that the Catalan media won't tell you. This is why the supposed question they were telling everybody is absurd, as you can't secede and still belong to the EU. I'm sure that if people really knew all the implications of the secession, things wouldn't be as rosy as it seems to be for the pro independence parties, with the "we will have a higher GDP per capita higher than Germany, we will have half the deaths due to car accidents than being still in Spain, we will have much higher success against cancer..." bullshit.

Around the Network

To be honest if we (Basques) ever gain independence I'd prefer if we wouldn't join the EU. I think we'd be better off with real independence, our own currency, etc. like Switzerland or Norway.

I also want to say it's sad that the oldest nation, with the oldest language alive in Europe is not allowed to decide what it wants be.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Troll_Whisperer said:
To be honest if we (Basques) ever gain independence I'd prefer if we wouldn't join the EU. I think we'd be better off with real independence, our own currency, etc. like Switzerland or Norway.

I also want to say it's sad that the oldest nation, with the oldest language alive in Europe is not allowed to decide what it wants be.

It's funny that you call it the oldest nation to something that has never been a country by itself, and has always belonged to a bigger entity.

Kynes said:
JEMC said:
Kynes said:

Ok, thanks.

This is something that the Catalan media won't tell you. This is why the supposed question they were telling everybody is absurd, as you can't secede and still belong to the EU. I'm sure that if people really knew all the implications of the secession, things wouldn't be as rosy as it seems to be for the pro independence parties, with the "we will have a higher GDP per capita higher than Germany, we will have half the deaths due to car accidents than being still in Spain, we will have much higher success against cancer..." bullshit.

Oh, I know that nobody tells the whole story, and that goes for both sides, and that some of the things that have been said are just simply stupid, but people is not as stupid as many believe (as the results of the elections have proved to Mas), and many already know that.

It's just that the relation between Spain and Catalonia has never been good, and lately (5-10 years) it's getting worse. And the polititians instead of trying to make peace are making things worse.

The cold true is that if Catalonia ever becomes independent, both Catalonia and Spain will have lots of troubles.

JEMC said:
Kynes said:
JEMC said:
Kynes said:

Ok, thanks.

Oh, I know that nobody tells the whole story, and that goes for both sides, and that some of the things that have been said are just simply stupid, but people is not as stupid as many believe (as the results of the elections have proved to Mas), and many already know that.

It's just that the relation between Spain and Catalonia has never been good, and lately (5-10 years) it's getting worse. And the polititians instead of trying to make peace are making things worse.

The cold true is that if Catalonia ever becomes independent, both Catalonia and Spain will have lots of troubles.

About the last phrase, this is something we can agree on.

On the rest, it seems that the most self government Catalonia has, the bigger the problems are. Ask Scotland, Corsica, Quebec, both parts of Belgium... if they would like to have the self government Catalonia or the Basques have. You have much more self government than any federal country, but there is something left, the judicial power. That's what your politicians want, to control it, and to keep the 4% rule that abides to any company that wants to work with the public sector there. I remember Maragall when he said to Mas "Your problem is called 3%", it seems that he was short by one point.

Kynes said:
Troll_Whisperer said:

It's funny that you call it the oldest nation to something that has never been a country by itself, and has always belonged to a bigger entity.

It's funny that you don't know the definition of nation. A distinct group of people with its own culture, customs and language is a nation.

The Basques existed before states even did, so no, they have not always belonged to a bigger entity, quite the contrary, only since Roman rule.

Even the Spanish constitution (written by the heirs of Franco) recognises the Basques as a 'nationality', which is basically a euphemism for nation.

Whatever you say, the truth is that we are a distinct region thtat wants to decide its own future, and it's undemocratic not to allow so. More advanced countries like the UK and Canada seem to have less of a problem with it.

And tbh I care much more about the present than the past, so I think history shouldn't be the focus of discussion but people's desires and needs today.

Face it, there is no good arguments against self-determination and you will always be on the losing side of the argument if you say otherwise, especially in front of an international, non-biased audience.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.